Fletching Jigs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bails111

Fletching Jigs

Post by bails111 »

I'd like to start building some bolts.Just wondering what kind of jigs you guys are using and what your experiences have been.Looking at Grayling, AAE and Bitzenburger so far. I'm a newbie so wouldn't mind some input. Thanks
Play Safe
Boo

Post by Boo »

I own two Martin jigs and an Arizona jig. They work well enough for me. They look lik the grayling and like the Bohning. It is a plastic version of the Bitzenberger. The Arizona is very different but is fairly popular. Good luck in your search.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
A.W

Post by A.W »

Arizona is really easy to use. GaryL made a 4-part video on using it. Here's a link to that infamous video.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=arizona

I can also Email it if you can accept larger Emails.

Hope this helps.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I find the Arizona easy to use as well. I just don't like the way the arms can wave around when closing them. I know its not a problem if you are careful and most of all its really quick. Still like my Martin. I just ordered the "Cabela's 3 Fletcher" which I hope is the final one I buy. :shock:
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I have used several, but for consistant fletching I prefer BITZ's they are always accurate and easy to use GREYWOLF
ImageImage[/img]
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have to admit that the bitzneberger is nice and glue is not an issue on the clamps. Has anyone used the cabela 3 yet?
TCAA

Post by TCAA »

I use the JoJan Multi fletcher with the receivers for crossbow bolts.

Works very well

Neill
bails111

Post by bails111 »

Thanks for the info guys. Took a look at GaryL's video but all I got out of it was how to open an oreo cookie. Now I can put away my sledge hammer :D
Sorry had to throw that in. The video was really informative. I new I came to the right place to get some info. I'll do some research on those other jigs mentioned and tell you how I make out.There seems to be a few good ones out there.
Play Safe
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'm thinking about getting one of the Martin jigs. We use them at the shop, and they're quite simple.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Started fletching arrows in the late 60's or early 70's. Tried several jigs and settled on the Bitzenburger as being the best. Stuck with that conviction until I tried an Arizona E-Z fletch a few years ago. Sold the Bitzenburger and bought an extra set of arms for the Arizona!
I've fletched for longbow, recurve, compound, and crossbow with it, and it does 'em all with ease and precision. The only modification I've made to it was to run a very thin flat file through the slot that hold the feather or vane a few times to open it up slightly so feathers are easier to insert. Still works with vanes, but I use a lot of feathers and they were hard to insert with the arms as they came from the factory.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi they made them that way so they(Feathers/vanes) would not slip up. I got a Bitzenburger well used , with a couple extra clamps and end for sale if'n I can find where I hid the extra clamps.

Any one interested PM me with an offer.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I also was wondering how a fletcher worked , i watched GaryL video clips he did a super Excellent job , thank you GaryL . i use NAP Quick Spin fletching , i dont think they will fit in the arizona cause of the little lip on the edge of them, so im wondering what fletcher i might need to do them ?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

xbowking wrote:I also was wondering how a fletcher worked , i watched GaryL video clips he did a super Excellent job , thank you GaryL . i use NAP Quick Spin fletching , i dont think they will fit in the arizona cause of the little lip on the edge of them, so im wondering what fletcher i might need to do them ?
"they will fit in the arizona" you just have to be sure the GLUE has set up good. Also have a lot of Oreo Cookies around as the give ya something to do while waiting on the glue to set :roll: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Gary L.
I use more feathers than vanes and found the arms were too tight to make inserting feathers easy. They still hold vanes, but the feathers go in a lot easier now! Not saying everyone would want to modify their jig, but just sharing what worked best for me when using primarily feathers.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Read that wabi, and I have done the same on one of my new jigs. Also have extra arms. On the newer Arz. Jigs they made the lower part of the arms tighter and state insert at the top and slide down. Some feathers are thicker then others. With clamps no big deal on thickness but I will stick with my Arizona fletchers fer sure.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!