Waterproofing boots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jay73

Waterproofing boots

Post by jay73 »

I have had a pair of the Irish Setter Buck Trackers 16 or 17" boot for a couple of years. I love the boots however the water resistance isn't that great. I shouldn't say that, I should say waterproof. Any creek crossings etc, and the boots leak at the seam. I don't think it's a flaw in the boot itself, because I had sent them back for a new pair and got the same results, as did someone else I know.

Out back is a drainage ditch that I go through often, especially during deer season. From what I remember, it wont freeze over till late season and I'm getting soakers and then climbing up to my stand up until then.

Anyways, someone suggested to me to put mink oil on them. I have a couple of questions about that. Should I cover the entire boot with mink oil? Does the stuff give off any odour? Or are there any suggestions for other ideas.

Thanks,

Jay
Tom

Post by Tom »

J I am not totally familuar with those boots but it they are suspose to be breathable, putting mink oil or other substances on them to waterproof them can and probually will make them no longer breathable boots. This means the boots will make your feet sweat alot more then they do now if you walk very much in them.

I have had friends that totally treated boots with mink oil and they became water proof, but when they walked any distances in them, their feet became wet from sweat. Now they will not use them at all.

IS there anyway you could treat just the seams. Are the seams sewn or welded. Again if you do treat the boots, try not to cover the non problem areas to keep the boots able to breathe.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
BOB VANDRISH

Waterproofing boots

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Jay,my suggestion would be to get a pair of insulated knee high rubber boots until that creek freezes over!
Almost impossible to get a pair of leather boots to be leak free,but there are some out there.
I do not know enough about your style of boot to comment on the degree of waterproofing.
Sno Seal is a pretty good candidate,if you want to experiment with a reasonably good sealer.
I never found Mink Oil to be that great.
I think ruuber is the best answer!
Bob
Bob Vandrish.
Normous

Post by Normous »

In my experience I found that Mink Oil softened the leather too much. I prefer Snow Seal or Biwax for my waterproofing needs.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gad

Re: Waterproofing boots

Post by gad »

j wrote:I have had a pair of the Irish Setter Buck Trackers 16 or 17" boot for a couple of years. I love the boots however the water resistance isn't that great. I shouldn't say that, I should say waterproof. Any creek crossings etc, and the boots leak at the seam. I don't think it's a flaw in the boot itself, because I had sent them back for a new pair and got the same results, as did someone else I know.

Out back is a drainage ditch that I go through often, especially during deer season. From what I remember, it wont freeze over till late season and I'm getting soakers and then climbing up to my stand up until then.

Anyways, someone suggested to me to put mink oil on them. I have a couple of questions about that. Should I cover the entire boot with mink oil? Does the stuff give off any odour? Or are there any suggestions for other ideas.

Thanks,

Jay
Check out: www.nikwax.com

This is the best products that I have found to waterproofing not only boots, but any other clothing equipment.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
A.W

Post by A.W »

This is a post I did back in 2003. Thought I'd bring it forward.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My little tip.

When I buy new leather boots I wear them for a couple of days to break them in.

Then I get some "Mink Oil" and smear it onto the boots. The next thing is to "Blow Dry" them. (hair dryer) The mink oil will soak right into the leather and seams. Repeat until it no longer soaks in. Make sure you do this over some newspaper.

I had a pair of Browning boots for 24 years doing this every year.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Thanks for the speedy replies lads.

The area where the boot leaks is the top of the foot where the leather meets the neoprene. It is a stitched seam. It's a small leak, but a leak nonetheless. I was a little pissed when they leaked because the Irish Setters ad claims 100% waterproof. I think I was told something to the extent of "well, they're not made to stand in water itself, but repel it." :?

I didn't really want to go out and have to buy a new new pair of boots just for creek crossing, when I have these and hopefully they can be altered slightly. I've always wondered about the rubber boots and the rubbery smell they may release. Although I have seen some nice ones on the market. Looking back, I think I would've been better off picking up a pair of fully insulated knee high rubbers. Oh well, maybe next pair.

I think I will experiment with Mink oil on just the seams itself and see how that works. I guess I'll have the summer to rectify the problem. I've lived with it the last couple of years, but would like to solve the problem.

Thanks again all,

Jay
Allan

Post by Allan »

On a similar topic, what do you use to waterproof your hunting clothes (jacket/pants)?

Has anyone tried mink oil on denim or canvas?