Painting my Crossbow in e.g. black

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OKF

Painting my Crossbow in e.g. black

Post by OKF »

Hi@all,

I really dislike the camo paint and would like to paint the thing in black. As I know the material does not like heat and I assume no paints which contain thinner. I have no clue about painting and I want it done professionally. Can somebody tell me what paint to use and how to use it. I do need abrand name for paints as I am not in the US I am in Germany. Some detailed info would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Oliver
Regards
Oliver
Tom

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the board. Sorry I can't help you with the paint but many on here have painted their bows, stocks, limbs excetra. Someone will come up and let you know what to do.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
OKF

Post by OKF »

Thanks Tom

and I would really appreciate some feedback
Regards
Oliver
Boo

Post by Boo »

Try a good body shop.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
OKF

Post by OKF »

yes, but they normally use paints with thinner? What paints should be used or should not be used?
Regards
Oliver
hiredgun

Painting

Post by hiredgun »

Go to a gun web site and search for stock painting, some of the results are amazing. You will get plenty of advice on stencils, colours etc. In Canada many people use Krylon Fusin paint in spary cans. It comes in many camo colours. After painting most persons apply a clear coat for durability. There are lots of good examples at www.canadiangunnutz.com Check in Gunsmithing or precision rifles. I hope this helps.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Krylon makes paints for plastics. There's one paticular one called Fusion for Plastic. Krylon claims it's a no-prep, superbond paint. It can be used on all plastics, PVC, Vinyl, Ceramic Glass, Tile, Metal and Wicker.

Having used it, I can say that although it's a great paint, it will never be as good or wear as well as the camo fusion paint and heat process that is used on the factory Excaliburs.

Perhaps you should email the Excalibur folks, they're your best bet for pointing you in the right direction.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Boo

Post by Boo »

OKF wrote:yes, but they normally use paints with thinner? What paints should be used or should not be used?
A good body shop will know. Check out a 'high end" body shop that paints expensive cars. I know a couple of them that have done some "fancy" paint jobs to race helmets like in F1, cart or nascar. I think ComfyBear may be correct in directing you to the manufacuterer tho.
Some people just like stepping on rakes