Zwickey scorpions; one more time

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Zwickey scorpions; one more time

Post by awshucks »

Just shot my Z.S. today. 430 gr. LII's @ 30 yds. Had about 7" of arrow sticking out of the target, but the zs was all the way back onto the fletch, by about 3/4". They are the right size. Is this normal? Do they slide back on the shaft prior to impact?? I'm amazed it didn't peel the vanes off.
"Eze 18:21"
Digger

Post by Digger »

The Zwickys slide back on your on your bolt and grabs slightly to slow the bolt down so it won't pass through your prey. That is exactly how they work. Most of my shafts have light scratch marks fron this.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Tom

Post by Tom »

You will find that the greater the pressure pushing back on the fingers, the tighter it will grip the shaft. With them gripping the fletching, I have found that even with feathers, if you remove then quickly (slidding them off the back end of the arrow) your feathers will go back to normal with little or no dammage to them. If you leave it on the feathers for a day or two, then you will probually have to end up putting new fletching on the arrow.

With them slidding on the shaft they are doing their job, letting the cutting head pass through the turkey, but stopping the arrow completly inside the bird. With the arrow sticking out BOTH SIDES of the bird, it will have extreem difficulty running or flying away if your arrow did not make a quick kill shot.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dan, how far do they go into your target with out the grapplers?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Boo: Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The arrow had about 7" sticking out of the target, but the Zwick had slid all the way back onto about 3/4 inch of the fletch w/ no contact w/ target. Apparently it had to slide back during the flight to the target. I sure as heck won't be takin 30 yd shots on turks, but used that range so I wouldn't bury the darn arrow to the fletch like I know I would have at twenty. I thought they would stay just behind the b-head til contact w/ turkey, but looks like I misunderstood. They'll work in either event. Thanks Digger for helpin me out, both w/ the sale and advice.
Tom

Post by Tom »

That should not happen.

Where did you have it on your arrow. It should be right behind the hunting head. Could the fingers have cought on something on the bow when you shot it.

Try placing it dirrectly behind the head on the shaft, with your fingers press only on the finger tips and try to slide it down the shaft. There should be stiff resistance, enough to push the tips into your fingers.

Hope this helps you.
Tom
Boo

Post by Boo »

I had that same problem with ones I bought so I got the next sized down and they were really difficult to push on but certainly did get pushed back by the target.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Tom: I had it snugged all the way forward to the broadhead, w/ the "grapplers" indexed to between the blades, each w/ 4. Idon't think it could have caught coming out at the shot, because the POI was real close to where it should have been, just a little low due to the extra 20 gr. I'm gonna play w/ it some more tomorrow, but it sounds/ seems like it should have been resting against the target, or maybe slightly imbedded?? It was fairly difficult to get it on the arrow, I put a field point on to slide it over, then switched to my slick trick.
Tom

Post by Tom »

awshucks the next time you try the scropios, put a piece of paper or something like swran wrap on the front of your target. Try to see if the finger tips actually hit the target but I doubt if this is happening with what you have said. You have me puzzled greatly. It sounds like you have a good fit with the arresters.

I once bought a set 22/64 and I shot the 21 series arrows and they did not slide down the arrow. My dad had the exomag with the oversized scropios for his 2217 and they did not slide back on his arrow shaft without making contact with the target.

I would love to know what has happened here.
Tom
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

guys today i went to the bass pro shop at vaughn mills mall to buy my turkey licence and to see if a could get some scorpios, well the guys in archery never even eard of them and were trying to sell me the mechanical broadhead that costed 50 bucks, anyways i was wondering if anyone around toronto knows where to find them. last fall e saw them at canadian tire, but they have all the archery stuff put away, i guess until next the end of the summer, and by then the scorpios won't be of much use because turkey season will be long done, well i guess i could try them on small game, but anyways i wanted to get some in the next few weeks.
Tye do you guys carry them at the shop that you work at, it's kind of far for me.
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have talked twice with the people at bass pro, including the manager for the archery section. It is amazing how since they do not carry a product, they have not heard anything bout it or know anything about it. The manager told me that they could not carry everything that people want and that was why they did not have it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try archersnook.com in London Ontario. They used to cary them. Also if you do a search on the internet you will come up with a few that sell them over the internet. IF you place your order shortly, you should have it in plenty of time before the season starts in Ontario.

Good luck
Tom
Boo

Post by Boo »

pphoenix wrote:guys today i went to the bass pro shop at vaughn mills mall to buy my turkey licence and to see if a could get some scorpios, well the guys in archery never even eard of them and were trying to sell me the mechanical broadhead that costed 50 bucks, anyways i was wondering if anyone around toronto knows where to find them. last fall e saw them at canadian tire, but they have all the archery stuff put away, i guess until next the end of the summer, and by then the scorpios won't be of much use because turkey season will be long done, well i guess i could try them on small game, but anyways i wanted to get some in the next few weeks.
Tye do you guys carry them at the shop that you work at, it's kind of far for me.
I just got a bunch from "the bow shop" in Waterloo.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I also picked mine up last year during the turkey season at the bow shop in Waterloo.

http://www.bow-shop.com/
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
bails111

Post by bails111 »

Is that the same as Shooterschoice/Colby shooting club ?

www.shooterschoice.com
Play Safe
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Yep. Gun shop is on the main level and the bow shop is upstairs.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!