Petersen's Crossbow Magazine?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

I couldn't find a copy either.
Digger

Post by Digger »

jh45gun wrote:Too bad it looked good. Oh well the xbow mag Horizontal Bow Hunter looks good too. Too bad it only comes out 4 times a year. :(
At least its not once a year like the Petersen rag. :evil:
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

For those who can remember, last Fall, the "powers to be" at Petersens did a "back-peddle" with crossbows, when they patronized the "real archers" and tried to apologize for delving into crossbows. They published a blurp in their rag which denounced their support for crossbows and stated that they actually didn't support crossbows which are not archery equipment. :shock: :evil:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I stopped buying for the same reason.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Petersen's Bowhunting ran two ads for crossbows and they caught hades for it from the purists.

The editor then offered an apology to the "real bowhunters" by saying those ads slipped through. BULL!! He knew they were in there and after so many nasty letetrs he lied about it and offered an apology. PFFFTTT!!

I had subscribed to Petersen's Bowhunting for at least 15 years. I cancelled it and told them why. It did not seem to bother them.

My subscription to Petersen's Hunting will lapse soon and it will not be renewed either.

Their foray into Petersen's Crossbowing was a test of the waters. Not sure if they found the water right or not.

BUT, I say promote and support the crossbow magazines that are out there now and not the companies that want to make a buck on us and thumb their nose at us in other ways.

Petersen's and other big name magazines will follow the almighty dollar and when crossbows become more common place people will be searching for knowledge these companies who detest crossbows in some of their magazines will be back after the crossbow dollars.

The same thing will happen when some of the bigger name "bow" companies see that their market share is sliding to crossbows. They will jump on the crossbow band wagon and start producing crossbows too.

FORGET these crossbow wannabees and support REAL CROSSBOW PEOPLE. The ones that have stuck with us through thick and thin.

They are our friends, not these guys that are after one thing - our money.

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Kansas

Post by Kansas »

I believe, and I may be wrong, but that Crossbow mag was an Annual. I think you will see it again. Late summer is when it came out last year.
Kansas
DJH

Post by DJH »

I spoke with the editor of Peterson's Crossbow Hunting and it will indeed becoming out again in July, I believe he said. He seemed gung-ho about the crossbow, but their sister magazine Peterson's Bowhunting doesn't have much good to say about the crossbow. Kind of a paradox wouldn't you say?
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

DJH wrote:I spoke with the editor of Peterson's Crossbow Hunting and it will indeed becoming out again in July, I believe he said. He seemed gung-ho about the crossbow, but their sister magazine Peterson's Bowhunting doesn't have much good to say about the crossbow. Kind of a paradox wouldn't you say?
Hypocritical is the correct word.....

If he was really "gung ho" it would be more than an annual..
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
A.W

Post by A.W »

bstout wrote:I hope to find an article of apology for sucking up to the vert bow guys by dissing crossbows. It'll be interesting to see if they have the balls to print it. I'm not holding my breath.
Exactly Bob. Don't hold your breath waiting. You may get pains in your chest and fall down.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ELKhuntR

Post by ELKhuntR »

Hi Fellas,

Guess I should introduce myself. My name is Daniel Beraldo and I'm the Co-Editor of Petersen's Crossbow Hunting magazine and Associate Editor on Petersen's Bowhunting.

I know some of you have no desire in Petersen's publications as the post here indicate. I'm sorry we have brushed you the wrong way and even though you might not want to here it. Petersen's Crossbow Hunting is here to stay for now. The response was great as evident on some of the earlier posts here and in the industry.

ideally, if the word can get out about crossbow hunting and hunter then something is good to say about it. It seems hypocritical to me to knock us for producing a quality magazine that's soley related to crossbow hunters.

For those interested,

Petersen's Crossbow Hunting is just wrapping up their Second issue which will be released in July.

We have some great hunting features including Bill Ts. Muskox hunt,
"String Guns And Snow Drifts," Scent piece by John Trout Jr., Crossbow reviews by Rick Sapp, Broadhead feature by Pat Meitin, Texas Boar piece by Gayne Young, just to mention a few.

This issue is called an SIP, which means it gets released once a year, for now. That could change later as we see how well the magazine does.

Hi Dave H. We spoke at the ATA show this past January.

For those of you that mentioned I was hypocritical. That's pretty bold considering you've never met me nor spoke with me. I'm a hunter just like you all and feel privileged to work on such an industry leading magazine.

I'm not going to make any excuses for the editorial that was written on crossbows. It was done and I didn't write it. You have to remember there is alot involved when it comes to printing 170,000 magazines per month. And in the past, Petersen's Bowhunting hasn't ran crossbow ads in their magazine. It has been a policy.

Hint, the introduction of Petersen's Crossbow Hunting. We knew there was a demand and need for this publication so we felt we owed it to our readers and the industry. It's not always about money, trust me!

Quote: The editor then offered an apology to the "real bowhunters" by saying those ads slipped through. BULL!! He knew they were in there and after so many nasty letetrs he lied about it and offered an apology. PFFFTTT!!

Now he didn't know it was in there. Trust me. It's not always about the dollar. For us as editors, you have to remember we're not salesman. We are journalists and hunters like you. Our goal is to provide a quality publication to the readers.

Hope all you are having a fine Turkey season. And good luck this year in your crossbow adventures.
Last edited by ELKhuntR on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELKhuntR

Post by ELKhuntR »

Woody Williams wrote:
DJH wrote:I spoke with the editor of Peterson's Crossbow Hunting and it will indeed becoming out again in July, I believe he said. He seemed gung-ho about the crossbow, but their sister magazine Peterson's Bowhunting doesn't have much good to say about the crossbow. Kind of a paradox wouldn't you say?
Hypocritical is the correct word.....

If he was really "gung ho" it would be more than an annual..

I have no control over the times it gets published. This was a new publication and we couldn't just start a monthly with nothing to go on.The people here would like to see it published more times per year.
Digger

Post by Digger »

"String Guns And Snow Drifts," Just great, we keep telling the "antis" they are not concidered guns, crossguns or string guns and you are keeping the "gun" myth in their tiny little anti xbows minds. They will point out even a crossbow magazine conciders them guns. NOT GOOD!!
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Big John

magazine

Post by Big John »

Well I liked the first issue. Since then I keep hearing more crap and off the cuff , between the lines bunk! Seems to me that someone there is not Editing the articles properly for publication. And, as Digger stated you are not helping the cause one bit. "Cross Bows" are Bows, not Crossguns! We are supposed to be Hunters helping Hunters and a Hunting Magazine should be in the front lines of this Battle. Playing both sides of the fence will not get Magazines sold for you.
Some more thought needs to be taken before stuff is printed at Petersons.
All weapons are Hunting Tools that accomplish the same thing.
And all Hunters set out to accomplish the same goal.
Therefore all Hunters deserve the exact same respect.
As a Hunting Magazine this should be your Guiding light.
And stated the same to all your readers.

IMO anyway.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
ELKhuntR

Post by ELKhuntR »

peoples opinions on crossbow hunting isn't a universal thing that all of us agree on. It's very similar to the battle going on between traditional archers versus compound shooters.

A crossbow hunter in Ohio might have a completey opinion than that of someone in VA.

I personally liked the title and thought it was creative. Doesn't mean I won't consider changing it but for now that's it.

Also, that title and story was submitted by the man we all should be thanking.
Bill Troubridge.

And when you say someone there not editing properly. I already introduced myself and I do have a name. It's not whoever there is editing the stuff.

I apologize for possibly offending some you guys for the title but there are plenty of others who like it. I

Someone said it rigth, can't we all just get a long. Aren't we all in the same fight and that's to have more hunters in the field.

I am proud to work for Petersen's and our publishing company, the best hunting magazines in the world.

Petersen's Hunting
Bowhunter
North American Whitetail
Guns& Ammo
IN-Fisherman
Game & Fish
Wildfowl
Gun Dog
Rifleshooter
Handguns
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Sorry elkHUNTr,

But any editor worth his salt knows exactly what is in his magazine front to back..

As digger pointed out you had better change the title of that one article or you will have a bunch of whizzed off crossbowers that wont buy the magazine because of that "string GUN" words.

PLUS you will give more ammo to the anti-crossbow people.

They will say," See even their own crossbow magazines calls them guns".

NOT GOOD at all...

It sounds like you need some REAL crossbowers on your editorial staff.
Woody Williams