1st 3-D shoot; any tips??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

1st 3-D shoot; any tips??

Post by awshucks »

I finally found a 3-D shoot here in Arkansas, 5 hr. round trip for about 30 shots. I'm the first that wants to use xbow, the rest are verts, but said I was welcome. Shots are from 5 to 35 yds. 16 targets, you shoot once at each then go thru again. Costs $10. I've been shooting like crazy. Sure would appreciate any tips or hints that you regular 3-Ders have to give. Thanks!!
"Eze 18:21"
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'm gonna be a newbie to 3-D this year too. Good luck :)
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

not sure what kind of of tips you are looking for. here are afew

1. do not cock the crossbow untill it is your turn to shoot.
2. your foot should touch the pin/stake when you shoot
3. you can not lean against any thing when shooting
4. if there is an unsafe condition on the course, pull the arrow fom the rail
and make the crossbow safe. Once the all clear has been given you can
get ready to shoot.
5 these courses are usually set up for vertical bows, watch the clearance of
your limb tips. My brother in law took a NASTY rap in the jaw when his
limb tip smacked a tree at a shoot last year :shock:
6. Make sure you have some type of arrow lube or you may have a hard time pulling your arrows. Carbons are usually the worst. ( A bar of soap, silicone lube or armour all will work )

7. just take your time and enjoy your self.

Hope this is what you are looking for.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

Practice shots under15 yds.USUALLY WE DON,T These targets are usually small with small rings.Controll your breathing and squeeze the trigger.Hold the bow in place till you here the arrow hit the target.if the max. distance is 35 yds. it should be not hard to estimate yardage. enjoy if you make a bad shot dont let it bother you the idea is to have fun and improve your shooting skills.
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Someplaces the 3D for crossbow shooting is identified by a red sticker elsewhere then the vital zone, so you might have to shoot at that marked area "bulls-eye" for any pointage/score.

Also, if you know how to accuratly evaluate your distances, good, if not then you might miss the 3D target, so bring extra bolts, since they might be harder to find behing the 3D under some foliage on the ground, then ordinary longer arraow shafts.

Will you be shooting with a scope or pins?
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thoght of a few more for you

- scoring on the targets is 12 ( super kill )- 10 heart - 8 area around 10 ring- 5 for any where in the body. 12's are scored only if all targets have that ring

- if an arrow is touching or on the line- say between the 10 and 8 you would score 10
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Farmer wrote:1. do not cock the crossbow untill it is your turn to shoot.
Good one's, there is only one thing I would add because in my years of helping to run a course I used to see it and have to deal with it;

When the bow is cocked keep it pointed down at the ground between you and the target, load it in the same manner, pointed at the ground. Bring it up to aim at the target.

Do not in any way "sky point" it, i.e. point the cocked/loaded bow above the horizon.

I mention this because folks can't be expected to know these things if the experienced people don't tell them.

Otherwise, take the other good advice given by everyone else, relax and have a good time :D
10Ring
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Thanks guys. I was a little nervous about having the only xbow at the shoot, but not now! Ready to give em a run fer it!!
"Eze 18:21"
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Yep forgot that other point about pointing :roll: . Good advice 10 Ring nice to see you here again :D What are you busy at these days?
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Farmer wrote: Good advice 10 Ring nice to see you here again
Thanks
Farmer wrote: What are you busy at these days?
I still look in on the forum.

I am at the CSC but 3D has "dried up" completely in this area and we have given up running it for lack of shooters.

I am shooting trap there, I have been shooting trap since 1970 and am better at that than 3D :oops: :lol: Actually, I am the trap chairman there now.

During the summer months, I am distracted by my other "toy";

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03may02y ... r1300.html

Regards
10Ring