20" vs 22" ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

20" vs 22" ?

Post by TYE »

Think I might order some Gold Tip Laser II's for this deer season. I'm wondering what the pro's and con's are between 20" bolts and 22" bolts. Not sure if I will benefit from an extra 2 inches.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

whateevwqer you do just makee sure youdont ask a woman if an extra 2" would make a dference!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TYE

Post by TYE »

ch312 wrote:whateevwqer you do just makee sure youdont ask a woman if an extra 2" would make a dference!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

TYE,
An extra 2 inches will give you 2" more penetration...the longer the arrow the deeper the hole.
Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
TYE

Post by TYE »

enormous wrote:TYE,
An extra 2 inches will give you 2" more penetration...the longer the arrow the deeper the hole.
Norm
I guess with a name like "enormous" you don't need to worry about the extra length... :lol:

I think I might try the 22" Gold Tip's because I think 22"s will give me a bit flatter trajectory, and more accuracy. Just wondering if what I'm assuming is what other people shooting 22" bolts get.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Go to Gold Tips wed site and find out your FOC . ( Look under Products and fill in the blanks. ) See what happends. Make one arrow @ 22 " shoot it when your boss is away and do the same with arrows you are using now.
I think with the Phoenix you can use down to a 17 " or 18" bolt . recheck the FOC and shoot it again.
TYE

Post by TYE »

diesel wrote:Go to Gold Tips wed site and find out your FOC . ( Look under Products and fill in the blanks. ) See what happends. Make one arrow @ 22 " shoot it when your boss is away and do the same with arrows you are using now.
I think with the Phoenix you can use down to a 17 " or 18" bolt . recheck the FOC and shoot it again.
We don't carry Gold Tips. We just carry 20" Beman Thunderbolts, and Easton XX75 2216, 2117 and 2219 aluminums.

I'm not gonna go to 18", I just think I might switch to 22" instead of 20" to see if it helps out much.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Tye,
22" will be heavier that the 20's, and heavier won't give you a flatter trajectory. Lighter arrows shoot flatter.... maybe heavier will stabilize the flight characteristics somewhat.
Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ch312

Post by ch312 »

enormous wrote:TYE,
Norm
LOL! basically wut i was gettin at

:lol: 8) :lol:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

TYE try it and see, however inless shooting a air rail xbow that most take a 22" bolt you will not see much difference then an extra 2" hanging over your rail.

If your after Elephant then 22" plus a inner shaft to get the weight up be one way to go .... :wink: Best way to find out if'n thats what ya want is do JUST ONE and see how it flys fer ya!! :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
grauhund

Length

Post by grauhund »

I shoot a Phoenix. I use a hip quiver. I like short bolts. I have experimented with various aluminum shafts. I am now settled on 16" 2018 xx78 shafts, 100 gr points, Bohing blazer 2" vanes, 10.1% FOC. Total weight is 356 gr bolts that Chronograph at 305 fps. I zero my scope at 50 yards and consistantly shoot 2" groups or better at that range. I'm also making 18" bolts at 400 and 450 grains for use on bigger deer and feral pigs.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Tye,

I used to shoot 20" aluminums, but last year I switched to 22" GT II's with brass inserts (sorry I can't remember the weight & FOC) out of my Exocet 165. This set up was recommended to me by a competitive 3D shooter/instructor/hunter. The main advantage is said to be stability of flight. The better flight is supposed to be most noticable in the wind, due to the longer heavier bolt, but I have never tested this in the wind.

One day out of curiosity, I shot a few of my old 20" bolts offhand at 20 and 30 yards and I did not noticed any real difference in the point of impact (I could still hit a grape-fruit if I wanted to), but I suppose a more controlled scientific test might show some change.

In conclusion, I am happy with my 22" set up and I will probably stick with it. How much of an advantage it offers, I can't measurably say.

Shoot straight,
Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

In follow-up to my earlier post, I forgot to mention that there was one BIG improvement in flight. My old set-up was giving me flight stability problems with broadheads :( (there could have been many reasons for this :roll: ). My local pro assured me that the new set-up would clear the problem up. He was right!!!! :D The same old broadheads on the new shafts now shoot just like my field points.

Shoot straight,
Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Why not just stick with the Thunderbolts? I am thinking of switching to the Thunderbolts for moose this year.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
TYE

Post by TYE »

schnarrfuss wrote:Why not just stick with the Thunderbolts? I am thinking of switching to the Thunderbolts for moose this year.
I'm keeping the Thunderbolts, but I'm thinking of 22" Gold Tip's for 3-D and deer hunting, something new to try.