OT - Remington 870 Express and Browning Bar .270 Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Don

OT - Remington 870 Express and Browning Bar .270 Questions

Post by Don »

Gentleman I am need of some assistance from this vast pool of knowledge.
A month ago my Uncle was killed in a car crash and my Aunt discussed with me his firearms.

Two of these firearms are as follows:
Remingston 870 Express with removable choke
Browning Bar .270

I have a cfew of questions I hope someone can help me with,

1. How do I figure out how old these firearms are?

2. How do I figure out which model of Browning Bar .270 I have so I can download the owner's manual from Browning?

3. How do I remove the choke from the Remington 870 Express so I can figure out which choke it is exactly?

4. Does anyone know how I can get an 870 Express manual once I figure out how old it is?

Thanks in advance all.

I may never have gotten a chance to hunt with my uncle physically, but each time I co to the woods now I will be hunting with him.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Don.
My condolences to his family, his friends, and yourself.

As for what year the Browning Bar is, check your serial # and I think it's either the first two, or the last two numbers which will tell you what year your rifle was fabricated in. I have a 30-06 Browning Bar and I know mine was made in 1971, but it has been stored for over 10 years in my father's gun vault as I haven't hunted with firearms for that long now. So I'm not absolutely sure if it's the first two, or the last two numbers that tell you what year it was fabricated. But I'm pretty sure it was the last two numbers, but again, it's been over 10 years since I've even seen it, let alone held it in my hands.

The Browning Bar ( semi-automatic center-fire rifle ) was a spin off of Fabrique Nationale's (FN) development of military weapons. When introduced in 1967 the rifle was available in Grades I (no engraving) an II (light engraving) chambered only for the 30-06 cartridge. The following year, chamberings included 243 Win, .270 Win, .308 Win, 7mm Rem. Mag, 300 Win. Mag. and 338 Win. Mag. Browning's 1971 catalogue showed the more elaborately decorated Grades III to V. Grades II, III and V were discontinued in 1975.

Since 1976, Browning semi-automatic center-fire rifles have been assembled at an FN facility in Portugal. The .338 Win. Mag. chambering was dropped at that time. In 1979, Grades I, III and IV were offered. Engraving differs between the standard and magnum versions. The 1979 Grade III depicts Bighorn rams and bull elk on the sides of its receiver. The original Grade III showed deer and antelope heads (which is what I have).

Browning refers to this semi-automatic hunting rifle as the "BAR", which has caused confusion with the selective-fire Model 1918 military rifle of that name. The Model 1918 BAR was designed by John M. Browning (1855-1926) and was a mainstay weapon of U.S troops in World War I and II.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I have an 870 Express. To remove the choke I have a choke key that fits the slots on the choke. You could probably get one of these keys at just about any store that sells Remington products.

Go to the Remington website and contact Remington via email. Let them know what you have and they will be able to help you to identify the year and the appropriate manual for your firearm. They will, in all likelyhood, send you a manual free of charge.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Big John

express gun

Post by Big John »

Hey Don:

If you need a manual for the 870 Express I have an extra.
Let me know. Glad to help if I can.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Don

Post by Don »

Thank you gentleman I have found the information on the Browning Bar .270 it is a 1985 and have now downloaded the manual for it.

Chris I will contact Remington via their website and see what they can tell me, I have the key I just have never had a shotgun that took a choke so I had no idea how to turn it out, clockwise or counterclockwise.

Dave if I can't get the manual online from Remington then I will definately get a hold of you to see about your extra manual, I appreciate the offer.

Thanks all for the help, as always a very helpful group we have here.

And Lonewolf as always you are the man with the info, thanks.

Don :lol:
ch312

Post by ch312 »

just use a toonie to remove the choke :wink: or is it a loonie or quarter? i forget which one but one of them fits perfectly :lol: remember...right tighty lefty loosey 8)
slayer

Post by slayer »

go to the mid west gun parts website and click on Browning parts, then click on Browning BAR, at the bottom you will find a history of the BAR. you need your serial number to get the year/model- here is a link hope it helps

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant ... creen=SFNT
dw

Post by dw »

http://www.remington.com/library/downlo ... anuals.asp
here's your link to download a owners manual.
you can remove the choke with a quarter, counterclockwise. if it won't come out with a quarter you can go to walmart, the have the choke removal tools.
"dw"
"you gotta love it"