Inserts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tee

Inserts

Post by Tee »

Pretty mundane question:

After losing some nocks, I have decided to buy carbon shafts and fletch and place the inserts myself. I have perused the archives and the vendor sites and have settled on the following as my first attempt:

1. 20" carbon shafts
2. duravanes - 5", straight w 4 degree offset
3. AL inserts front and back
4. Duraloc adhesive for vanes and inserts - if I can find it. Haven't found it at several vendors as yet.

My question: after viewing several vendor sites, I am confused about the inserts. They all specify the inserts to be used with a specific makers carbon shafts.

Are there "generic" inserts that can be used with any makers carbon shaft or do you have to match the maker on the shaft and the insert?

Is the inside diameter of carbon shafts standardized for all makers or does each have their own "standard"?
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Inserts vary in size to fit a specific shaft. I usually order inserts along with the shafts and get a few spares if possible.
wabi
Tee

Post by Tee »

I think I would like to try the Gold Tip Laser II bolt.

I can find the shafts listed with flat end nocks.

The listings (even the Gold Tip site) are totally silent on two points:

1. do the shafts include inserts??? If not where do I find inserts. Even the Gold Tip site lists ONLY the brass inserts for the Laser II. None of the other sites I have been able to find even mention anything about inserts. They list shafts with flat end nocks or half moon end nocks, but are totally silent about inserts. I cannot find anything about inserts after searching any of the sites.

wabi wrote:
"I usually order inserts along with the shafts and get a few spares if possible."

where do order from that you can order inserts also????

2. Are the end nocks threaded like the Excalibur bolts. I know the Excalibur bolts are Gold Tip Laser 2 bolts - it is printed on the shaft - but does Excalibur make special nocks or are the Gold Tip flat nocks drilled and tapped as standard? I could find nothing on the web about this.

Thanks,
Tee
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

This is some advice I got when I made inquiries on the Laser II bolts for making my own from [email protected]

The "brass" inserts aren't really made of brass. They're actually aluminum....but they're colored like brass. They're the standard inserts for that shaft and the 22-Series Pro shafts.

The weight kit allows you to add small weights into the inserts and nock ends, to get whatever total arrow mass and FOC you desire. They just screw in and are very simple to use. It's a good investment when building your own bolts.

You can get either Moon nocks or Flat nocks. Your choice.
If it feels good, DO IT.