Mechanicals and carbons

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jeff

Mechanicals and carbons

Post by jeff »

Hey there.
Looking for suggestions. I'm shooting an Exomax and looking to switch to carbons and mechanicals for this season. Will be used mainly for bear but deer as well.

Thanks

jeff
It is not through our power that we take life in nature; it is through the power of nature that life is given to us.
Richard Nelson
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have been using Beeman thunderbolts lately they fly well and are close to the same weight as 2216. Have used expandables on deer size game for about 7 years now no problems.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Beeman thunderbolts nice arrow, however I stay away from expandables. My choice only as some do like'em .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
diesel

Post by diesel »

I've had very good luck with GoldTip Lanser II with Wasp Jak-Hammers
125 gr. 1 3/4" cut . Slick Tricks work good with them too.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

I too like the beman thunderbolts because they fly like the 2216 aluminums that I used to use, but they're much more durable.

Over the last five years I've used expandables almost exclusively - especially the Rocket Hammerheads (2 inch expandable). I always gotten pass-throughs with the Hammerheads, and sometimes the wound is so severe that the deer literally drop and bleed out on the spot. Strangely enough, the three deer I've shot with Wasp Jak-Hammers I did not get complete pass-thru, even though the head is only a 1 3/4" cut. I think the O-rings Wasp uses must use up alot of the arrow's kinetic energy to open. If you do use the Jak-Hammers, replace the O-rings with the dental rubberbands that all the other expandables use.

However, this year I'm converting over to four-bladed fixed heads. The reason is that the long blades on the expandables invarably bend or break after one kill, and I typically kill half a dozen deer every year, so that makes for expensive shooting. You can buy replacment blades, but I've found that the timy screws that hold the blade on always strip out in the aluminum ferrel and couldn't be removed. I want a broadhead that I can re-use!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've always got quick kills & complete pass-throughs with Wasp JakHammers, but they can open in flight if you don't double band them. I may try the dental bands instead of O-rings on them!
wabi
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Where can you get the dental bands.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Jeff,
I hunt with mechanicals exclusively. I have never used the carbon arrows so I do not know how they perform. That being said, I have purchased the new Rage mechanicals (usually I shoot the Spitfire cam mechanical). The guys talking about dental bands can't read or write so they do not know the technology has changed. The Rage folks enclose a practice head along with the three cut-on-contact mechanical. I suggest you buy a packet of Rage, in your favorite blade and weight configuration, and put the practice head on a carbon. Then attach it to an aluminum arrow and tell us what you think the difference in perfomance is. I for one would be real interested in hearing your report. We need to encourage not discourage new ideas and approaches to our sport.
Mechanicals Rule Dude
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Camper

Post by Camper »

goldtip Laser II 's and 100 gr rocket arrow heads Kill deer Dead!

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper