let me have your input on the Vixen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bucko

let me have your input on the Vixen

Post by Bucko »

Well,I'm seriously close to buying the Vixon model and would like to hear any pro or con input info. on this model.

I will be useing it for whitetail and shooting in the 25 to 30 yard range.I've got some crossbow[Horton] expeirence and figure this model seems quite adequate for deer.

Let me hear what ya say!!Thanks to BSTOUT for his input already on the Vixen.
diesel

Post by diesel »

It's an Excalibur. They all shoot straight. They will take a beating and they are very simple. Look in the Trading part of the forum. looks like there is one for sale up in the Canton area.
You can't go wrong with an Excalibur.
wabi

Post by wabi »

The Vixen is a very accurate, dependable crossbow. I would probably be hunting deer with one if they offered the old black or camo models, but sorry to say I just don't like the brown color. If I were buying a new Excalibur today it would be the Phoenix, simply because it's plenty of speed & power and I like the camo finish!
(BTW - I own & hunt with a Phoenix)
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Do it to it Bucko, super xbow fer sure :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Digger

Post by Digger »

My black Vixen is the nicest Excal I ever had, and I've had a few Excaliburs.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

The truth is you will have more than enough power to harvest a deer with the vixen . Convinced my brother to buy one and the only complaints would be from the deer . The vixen or the pheonix are a good choice for the financially inhibited .
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Thanks for all the input[all positive].I'm going to act on the Vixen as soon as I get off this aggravating work sche dule,2 more weeks.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Well Fella's,I got my Horton listed for sale and talked to Dan Miller today.He lives 1 1/2 hrs. from me and I may be visiting him soon to 'git it done' :lol:
PRB

Post by PRB »

That sounds great. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I really dont believe youll be disappointed with the Vixen at all. I really like mine a lot.
Good luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

PRB wrote: I really dont believe youll be disappointed with the Vixen at all.
I think you could say that about all Excalibur crossbows. How many complaints have you read or heard?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Swede

Post by Swede »

I must tell you I like my Vixen alot! Yesterday I was sighting in my Vixen. I wanted also to see how much the arrows fell between distances of 5m. I started shooting at 5m and kept going to 55m(60yards). That was in standing position without any help. I only Shoot 10 and a few 9 on a normal FITA target. I can tell you guys I have never shot that well even with a field target crossbow. Buying a Vixen was one of my best purchase ever. And with the Wolfszeit mount and the Meopta optics I cant ask for anything more. I trust my equitment 100% and I know it shoots very good. I can never make an excuse other that the human error when I shoot my Vixen.
Swede

Post by Swede »

I thought I post a picture from todays shooting from 60m(65.6yards). :D After shooting one arrow at a time I thought at that distance it would be hard hitting the first arrow with a second shot. So I did shoot another one and you can see what happend. After this I only shoot at three spot targets. Micky Skottlund(European champion fieldcrossbow Senior) is behind the camera.
Last edited by Swede on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Good little xbow. I generally use the Vixen on Wild Boar and deer. Had complete pass-thru both on the hog and smaller deer. I don't have a scope on it, and won't likely put one on either. Factory sights are dead on at 25 yards. With no add-ons, the set-up is very light to carry to my tree stand. Will only put the Dan Miller quiver on. For a quick shot on a wounded deer, cocking by hand is easier and faster, for a second or third shot.

I had several incidences, where I came up on, or had a Black Bear follow me on a trail. Its sure nice to know in a situation like that, I can quickly load up the bow by hand in case mama bear gets protective. Several people have been attacked in our province by bears, I don't want to take that chance.

Grey Owl
bails111

Post by bails111 »

Spined a late season buck at 20yds with my Vixen Deluxe from my hang on tree stand last year. I cocked from my stand(twice) quite comfortably
and finished him off quickly. I lost 1 bolt and broadhead with the pass through but I,m glad I could load easily and safely in a stand . I don,t know if you could do this with a bigger bow.
Play Safe
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The Vixen is very hard to beat as a 3d or deer hunting tool. I think I could easily load it in my tree stand.

A friend of mine was over yesterday with his Vixen and wanted to re -zero as he changed over to Thunderbolts from GT's. He was having a little trouble getting it to group. He says to me see if its me or the bow. Shoot the 1st arrow aimed at the target for the 2nd shot and bam Robin hood on his new arrow, just like the Swede did :D :roll: .Then I said nope its you :lol: :lol: :P