Four Tags Per Day!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Gotta like it when a gal knows the lingo!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
marmot

Re: Four Tags Per Day!

Post by marmot »

Do they believe that people will actually harvest that many deer in a single day?
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

Do you have an extra bed, I will come down and help you. and I though that being to shoot 7 in a season now was alot.
shoot straight stay late.
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

That is a huge amount of tags! :shock: Even one deer a day would be a substantial amount over that time period. Do you know what the deer density per sq. mile is where you live,bstout? Must be a huge deer pop.

..Al.
pphoenix

Re: Four Tags Per Day!

Post by pphoenix »

bstout wrote:I just got off the phone with our DNR. Since I live in the CWD zone we get to take up to four deer per day either gender (buck or doe) from September 16th through January 7th with archery except during gun season. She said "If its brown it's down!" Those are her exact words! :D
is there an overall limit. :shock:
widowman

Post by widowman »

He did mention the he was in a CWD zone.

Thanks for the public service.

Have you shot an infected animal?

Can you get your meat tested?

What percentage does the state test?
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

CWD as in Chronic waste disease :wink: , all the ministry publication around where talk about it, even tough i don't think we've had any cases yet.
A.W

Post by A.W »

It's my belief that CWD should be handled the same as Mad Cow (not my ex).

There are people in the UK that are still being diagnosed with the results of comsuming infected cattle years ago.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Good link Bob. Thanks
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Skeeter

CWD

Post by Skeeter »

My take on this topic, after talking to MNR (Canada)at a conference this past spring is that they are trying to reduce the # of deer so when it hits all the new area there are less animals , therefore slower spread of the disease. The government is scared as heck! $$$$$$ :roll:
Skeeter
Tom

Post by Tom »

I did alot of research on CWD a few years ago and post about it on this site. The disease is called PIONS. These pions do not stay in the meat only bone structure (mostly only in Spine) and bain matter.

They recomend that you debone wihtout cutting the bones. I have been deboning my deer for a while now. I do not cut a bone, espically the spine, neck or head when there is meat present for consumption. All my knives, saws get extreemly cleaned.

CWD & Mad Cow are classed as cousin diseases. They are not the same disease but awful close. The above mentioned Pions are very hard to kill. Not sure if they know more today, but they did not know how long they would survive on the ground out of the animal or even how to kill them. They believe that the pions are transfered from animal to animal from sliva just like in Mad Cow.

And yes this disease has been linked to atleast 2 deaths and maybe more in humans.

Will SCW stop me from hunting and eating deer, NOPE NEVER !!!!!. Will it change my actions, YES IT ALREADY HAS. Am I worried about getting CWD from deer, NOPE.

Hope this has given a little more information about CWD to those that do not know much about it.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bstout wrote:Being afraid of CWD is a little like being afraid of the dark or thinking you might be hit by lightning. It reminds me of the lottery. The lottery is for people who are very bad at math.
The thing with the LOTTERY bob is .... Math or no math .... folks hit the big one all the time, of course it seems to skip my numbersImage :wink: :wink: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Bstout,
You said I will not kill a deer that isn't 100% alert and acting normal. I basicaly know nothing about CWD but I would think that you should shoot deer acting abnormal. Then take them somewhere for testing, leave them, or bury them, or something as long as you don't eat them. Wouldn't it help the situation if as many sick deer were killed as possible?
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

so far where I hunt I don't worry about CWD but Cronic wasting disease is a close cousin of "mad cow" (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) whch has been blamed for more than 100 cases of the human brain disease Creuzdtfelt-Jacob Disease, or new-variant CJD.
these diseases are TSE's (replace bovine from above with transmittable) the proteins that cause the disease to be transmittable are called "prions" and are very difficult to breakdown even at high temperatures..... and there are additional concerns.....
And because other animals eat deer and deer carcasses, the CWD epidemic poses the threat of "jumping species." TSEs already infect at least eight mammal species in nature, says Aiken, also including sheep, cattle, goats, mink, cats and elk.
so far I'm lucky but it's definitly something I will be carefull of....