older bow UPDATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chas

older bow UPDATE

Post by chas »

hello everyone..this is my first time here..question is..I have a older model "exo-mag" cross bow..would like to know if there is anything i could update on to this bow to make it shoot like the newer models
i have a older bow "X-OMAG"...was just wondering if i can add something from the new bows to get a faster arrow
Tom

Post by Tom »

chas there are a few different versions of the exomag. But no matter model you have it is still viewed bt many as one of the best models that excalibur has produced.

Until we get a better discription of your bow, we do not know what model you have. Any upgrades that you might be able to do would only increase the speed and poundage. The shooting ability of your bow should be able to shoot just as good now as after unless you have some dammage in your bow. Every model of an Excalibur crossbow will shoot with great accuracy.

Does this help any.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
chas

Post by chas »

tks tom..I will get the model and stuff later..there is no damage to this bow and you are right it shoot just as good as the day i got it...just would like to update it instead of buying a new bow..
i have a older bow "X-OMAG"...was just wondering if i can add something from the new bows to get a faster arrow
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

chas they had two models of the ExoMag, 185 Lb and 200 LB. Both are smooth, hard hitting and fast. Keep it as it is, and if you feel you need something faster :shock: save up and go for the ExoMax at 225 LB. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Chas lets just pretend that you have the oldest version of the eomag with the carved tips (my dad's version). To upgrade, these would be your uptions.
  • -upgrade to magtip limbs
    -upgrade the rail to the longer version
    -upgrade the riser to the newer forward angled riser
If you were to make all of these upgrades you would have a very good bow. It would basicly be the newer Exomax @225lbs but it would probually have a mixed matched camo pattern or look to it. The cost would probually be equal or close to the price of the Exomax.

My suggestion is to just get a second bow for the cost. You would have a second bow that you could use as a spare or to take a friend hunting or shooting with that does not have one. Yes you could off set the cost a little by selling the parts you take off, but you would get better value if you sold the whole exomag instead of the parts. The costs in the long run would be cheaper to you if you keep the bow whole.

Now what you get with the upgrades. The mag tips allows you to use the newer strings which will gain you a few feet per second more (I believe about 8-15). The longer rail would inclrease your bow from the 185lb rating to 200lbs and the new riser would put you up to the 225lb of the exomax. Trouble is, if I remember corrrectly, Excalibur did not sell the new riser as a part because of production availability. They could not keep up with orders of whole bows but could have changed by now.

Again for your money, I would just get a second bow to upgrade to what you are after.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Don't know for sure Tom, but one might be able to purchase the new riser now cause all the Excalibur line use it. That being the case Excalibur should have plenty risers now. However that being stated don't mean they would sell ya one :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Normous

Post by Normous »

This is what I did.
I'm not suggesting to others that they do the same but it works reliably and cost me nothing...well sort of.
I purchased the new Max for my wife but wanted one too after comparing it to my much older carved tip Exocet which was starting to split the limbs. Excalibur replaced the tips under warranty. I then upgraded to the newer Mag tip limbs for the upgrade price...not bad.
Then I found some scrap aluminun and machined a 1" riser extension and and bolted it in between the riser and rail= 1" more stroke.
Next I called Excalibur numerous times over a year and a half to inquire about puchasing the new angled riser. Bill T. unfortunatly could not yet part with one yet.
So I machined up some angled aluminum shims to duplicate the newer angled riser and bolted them between the riser and limbs.
I've shot about 400 bolts reliably through this set up with many inspections . 100 gr. tipped Goldtips zip through the chrono at 319-321 fps...not a bad upgrade for the money.
Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
chas

Post by chas »

thanks guy's...thats what i wanted to hear..think i wil just leave it alone for now...it works great as it is...
this is a realy cool site great that i found it..
one more thing how do i send a pic of me and my BIG buck ..KILLED WITH THE OLE EXOMAG ???... :P
Digger

Post by Digger »

Put your pics on www.photobucket.com then download to the forum
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar