Identify a string?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Identify a string?

Post by DuckHunt »

I picked up a new Exomax over the weekend at BassPro. It was the last one in stock so it came assembled and I got no box, instructions, etc. It was no big deal since the manual is available here and all of the accessories were in the right stuff package I got as well.

The string that was on the crossbow when I purchased it was a two-tone green/brown string. Within 3-4 shots I noticed that the serving was starting to get gaps between the threads. Every couple shots I would have to push all of the threads back toward the center. Is this common or did I just get a bad string?

After a couple dozen shots...ok..maybe 50 :D , I decided to replace the string with the one in the right stuff package. The string in the package is tan in color. This tan string appears to be much more durable. In the couple dozen shots I have fired with it, it shows hardly any wear on the properly waxed serving.

Are these two different types of strings? I thought the Excel string was standard equipment and in the package as well.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

they make a newer excel string and a old style one. Some on here can tell you more in detail what the difference is. But I have 2 of the tan/green ones and those are excels. The FFF strings are mostly black/white.

The max is gonna be hard on strings compared to the slower models
bj

Re: Identify a string?

Post by bj »

DuckHunt wrote:I picked up a new Exomax over the weekend at BassPro. It was the last one in stock so it came assembled and I got no box, instructions, etc. It was no big deal since the manual is available here and all of the accessories were in the right stuff package I got as well.

The string that was on the crossbow when I purchased it was a two-tone green/brown string. Within 3-4 shots I noticed that the serving was starting to get gaps between the threads. Every couple shots I would have to push all of the threads back toward the center. Is this common or did I just get a bad string?

After a couple dozen shots...ok..maybe 50 :D , I decided to replace the string with the one in the right stuff package. The string in the package is tan in color. This tan string appears to be much more durable. In the couple dozen shots I have fired with it, it shows hardly any wear on the properly waxed serving.

Are these two different types of strings? I thought the Excel string was standard equipment and in the package as well.
being a new bow you should at least have gotten the instruction manual :shock: ...if it was strung and the string serving had started to seperate, it is quite likely that the bow was used as a demo in the store...no big deal, but i hope they cranked a couple of bucks off of it for you...in answer to your question, i don't believe you got a "bad string", just a slightly used one...good luck with the bow...