Techniques for tracking wounded deer...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Great post Woody, I agree that it is worth it if one person is helped. I am thinking of printing it out and carrying it with my gear. I know how worked up one can get during the excitement of hitting a deer, especialy if it is a monster buck. And if you are on your own, than there is even more of a chance of making a mistake. If I am lucky enough to get a big buck I think it would be a great idea to sit back and reveiw your post while calming down and waiting for enough time to pass to get on that deers trail.

I also agree that tisue can be verry helpfull in finding blood, especialy when all you have to work with is splatters on old leaves in low light. If you run out of tissue though, or don't have any, than a clean finger will work great and if the blood is dry then a little spit on your fingertip rubbed on the speck will bring it right back.

Quite a few years ago my dad shot a nice buck. He had a good shot with a lot of blood but it ended up stoping. He searched and searched for two days with no luck untill he found it. It ended up climbing into the middle of a couple of blown down trees that were piled up in a small type of drainage ditch or dry creek that ran staight down the ridge a little. It was only about 50 yards from where the blood stopped. My dad walked by it many times but the forest was quite open with mature hard woods widely spaced so it was easy to think that he was seeing everything plus the deer was hidden well in a place you would not expect it to usualy go.

I have found that when shot, a deer will usualy run like hell any direction that takes it away from the danger. After it goes some distance and begins to feel safe again it will then turn and walk into the wind towards a place that is safe, which can be the thickest nastiest bunch of brush it can find nearby, a bedding area, thicket or other safe familiar place in it's normal area, sometimes even a place it was before being shot, making it circle. Usualy a wounded deer will always want to bed down or go to water. If you lose your blood trail, try looking for these places or just walking into the wind. Never assume anything though because a wounded deer can be completely unpredictable.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

this sit is for information
I assume you mean "this site is for information".... clever fellow, and that's exactly what Woody was providing....
you should not be out hunting with a crossbox and wounding deer!
I completely agree... now would that be a USB crossbox or firewire crossbox.... personally I use a crossbow or vertical bow just like the other people on this site
that kind of info i was thought 45 yrs ago.
well I wouldn't want to speak for Woody but I assume that he thought that he would provide the information for people who did not get taught everything about everything 45 years ago.

by the way.... just out of curiosity... did the same person who taught you to hunt also teach you spelling and grammar ?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

silentdeath wrote:and as far as needing help, that kind of info i was thought 45 yrs ago.
It seems that you are so far above any of the hunters on here that it is a shame that you are wasting your time here.

I'm sure that none of us can tell you a thing about any type of hunting or recovery of game, so one would wonder why you come here?

Please excuse us mere mortals of hunting that we go about discussing our crossboxs (sic) and sharing what lttle we do know about hunting and recovery of game.

Somehow I think we might just muddle through and get the job done.. ;)

Thanks for you concern..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

jh45gun wrote:It's a proven fact guys that trolls cannot spell worth a darn! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Looking at his posts he has one about baiting deer with C'mere Deer/acorns and kicking a buck in gonads and 5 posts putting down this thread.

Pretty informative stuff there......

Then his interests in his profile... :roll:
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Kevin 2

Post by Kevin 2 »

Woody,

Thanks for the info. I print the Anatomy of what ever we are hunting at my camp and make every one sign each page. This keeps the beginners from being picked on (some times) and every one can study the pictures for a refresher. It also gets every one talking about the best place to hit game from each angle.

Kevin
silentdeath

Post by silentdeath »

jh45gun post 9 mon aug 28 4:03 pm i see no difference in someone using a water hole to hunt over ect. topic 9 mon aug 28 12:47 pm. dont see the sport in in hunting in a blind over a water hole is hunting. not bad 7 hrs and not sticking to his first comment. sounds like a troll calling another a troll. by the way what is a troll?
silentdeath

Post by silentdeath »

hey woody dont throw stones( lttle)
BUCKSHOT

Great Post

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I always enjoy reading this post from you Woody!
Very well edited and a great source of information!

B.T.W.
I can't wait to see some pics from your successfull adventures this season!

It is obvious that the truth is in the pudding when considering the number of beautifull animals you have harvested, thanks for sharing! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Bumping this to the top for those that haven't read it.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good reading . . .I need to be told things often . . .just ask my wife!

You guys give silentdeath a break, he is in the top 2%. We shouldn't give him a hard time for being super human and not needing to see something but once. He just needs to open a thread for that 2% and leave us here to be redundant.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bsmith

Great blood trail marker!

Post by bsmith »

I bought some small reusable LED tacks that are for marking blood trails a few months ago at a tradeshow. They are called illumitacks and they work awesome for marking your blood trail in low light or after dark. They also have a built in magnet so not only can you stick it into a tree but you can even stick it on a leaf or just about anything. Keeps you on track without having to search for the last blood again and again. I have also set up the green ones that won't spook game during the day on a trail to a new stand location and follow the lights in the next morning without a flash light. Check them out at www.elusivewildlife.com or

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm
The Headhunter
hawg hunter

wounded deer and tracking

Post by hawg hunter »

Some people know to much to be taught anything . Woody's article on trailing and tracking is the best I've read. With the exception of a few we all need to have a refresher course on this subject. Yes my grand father told me things years ago about trailing wounded animals he just didn't write them down. Some of the other peoples thoughts are also good. For the few that know everything go blow smoke up other foreums or shut up.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Woody Williams

bsmith

blood trailing video

Post by bsmith »

Thanks again Woody! Maybe that was the troll that chooses to remain silent in the video!?
The Headhunter
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Thanks again Woody, Is Fair Chase Adventures a hunting show in your area? I have never seen it before but I think I might like it.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.