Which mechanical to use

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

questmqn

Which mechanical to use

Post by questmqn »

I am looking at shooting mechanical broadheads with my crossbow ( needed to go with this due to bad disc in neck) as I have had some difficulty getting my muzzys (3 head 100 gr. ) to group. I think I might know how to solve the problem, but I want to check out mechanicals too. What are the best to shoot with a crossbow? Any help would be appreciated.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I don't shoot mech. But I do shoot the Wasps that came with my Exocet. I also shoot 100gr Slick Tricks. Both shoot dead on with the target points out to 30 yds. Haven't shoot any farther than that in practice since that is my self imposed max distance. I'm sure some of the guys can heip with the mech. heads. What ya shooting. Tom
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

Spitfires!!! Try them out and you won't be disapointed. I used the Shockwaves last year, also from NAP to kill a buck and they dropped him on the spot after breaking his shoulder. Now try to tell me they're not tough!
It's not a Passion. It's and Obsession.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

questmqn,
Look at the previous discussions on mechanicals. Do a search on the forum for mechanicals and you will find a lot of stuff written about them. The most recent discussion is between M&M and myself under the heading Kendo Kid. We are discussing the new Rage and what we think it will do. It is brand new this year and another leap forward for cutting technology. The Rage is a cut-on-contact and looks awesome. I have purchased 6 heads and I am hankering to try them on the real thing. Prior to the Rage most of us use Spitfires as they do not require O-rings to hold the blades in place during flight. They are excellent and superior to a fixed broadhead as your target practice is not wasted. The mechanicals always come with a target point that flies exactly like the mechanical you will use during the season. This does not require adjsuting your point of aim as in the broadhead when you switch form the target point to the fix blade for hunting. Check out some of the previous discussions on mechanicals. You will learn a bunch.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

I have used the spitfires and liked them but a bit on the expensive side...i have slicktricks but have yet to release them yet....mabye this year!!!!They both fly dead on as the field points.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I went back to the Wasp JakHammers for this fall. They aren't the latest thing to hit the market, matter of fact as mechanicals go they are kind of old-fashioned. They use O-rings to hold the blades closed, but with 2 O-rings on the blades (double banded) they work from the Phoenix, and the 1 3/4" cutting diameter makes for a good (and short) bloodtrail on a well hit deer.
wabi
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

I have used the Nap 100gr Spitfires for the last 5 years and have never had a problem with them out of either my Viexn or my Exomag. I have taken 7 deer with the same 3 heads and all I have had to do is replace the blades and retainer clips each year and they are ready to go. I also have the 100gr slicktricks and they work well to, I took 1 deer last year them and they did a great job as well. I find both of these broad heads fly like field points and have the same point of impact out of my bow.
shoot straight stay late.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I just bought some Spitfires to try out this year. As far as the targets I've shot so far.........very impressive. They did not open in flight and make a huge hole. Grouped just like my field points out to 30 yards. Did not shoot past that because it is beyond the range of a shot I would take in the field.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
taxman

Post by taxman »

1 steelhead 100's(rocket)
2. spitfires(nap)