Well it's just about time....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Well it's just about time....

Post by TYE »

So tomorrow, my hunting buddy and I are gonna set our crossbows up with our hunting setups. Gonna make sure my Gold Tip Laser 2's with Thunderhead 100's are all hitting dead on. Also gonna make sure the Beman Thunderbolts and Wasp Boss 100's are gonna work too. :) Hopefully all goes well. I can't wait to get out hunting! :D
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well, it didn't go to well. I'm still not dead on with every bolt. For some reason one will be dead on, then the next 2 will hit somewhere way off. I had a couple completely miss target and had to chase them down in the bushes. Found them barried in the ground everytime except one I found burried into this nice big chunk of meat :lol:

Stupid log! Wierd because with field points my gold tips are dead on, but once I put these broadheads on them, they fly all over the place. Same broadheads were on my Thunderbolts before and fly fine. I can't figure it out. :?
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

TYE Wrote :
Stupid log! Wierd because with field points my gold tips are dead on, but once I put these broadheads on them, they fly all over the place. Same broadheads were on my Thunderbolts before and fly fine. I can't figure it out.
Yep .... hard to understand that one ? ... were you on a steady rest ?

Good to get out and sight everything in though ! ... I'm ready ... got stands and trails done ... bring on Oct 1st !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
TYE

Post by TYE »

R.J. wrote:TYE Wrote :
Stupid log! Wierd because with field points my gold tips are dead on, but once I put these broadheads on them, they fly all over the place. Same broadheads were on my Thunderbolts before and fly fine. I can't figure it out.
Yep .... hard to understand that one ? ... were you on a steady rest ?

Good to get out and sight everything in though ! ... I'm ready ... got stands and trails done ... bring on Oct 1st !
I tried resting on a chair, and I also sat in a chair and on the ground resting on my knee. I can't figure it out.

I thought maybe I have the Gold Tips with the weight problem, cuz they're old ones. But how could I when they shoot fine with fieldpoints?
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Tye, I've not had much luck sighting in with field points and then switching over to broadheads to get the same results.

This is why I'll pick a couple of bolts (with broadheads on) out of my set-up, mark them and use them only to practice with.

Good luck man, make sure you're dead on by October.

Jay
TYE

Post by TYE »

Question about the scope.... I'm a lil confused cuz its been a while. When adjusting it... do I chase the bolt? or do I adjust it to where i want the bolt to go.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Adjust it to where the bolt needs to go ... if your bolts are hitting right , then adjust ( clicks ) left .... if you are shooting high , then adjust ( clicks ) down .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
TYE

Post by TYE »

R.J. wrote:Adjust it to where the bolt needs to go ... if your bolts are hitting right , then adjust ( clicks ) left .... if you are shooting high , then adjust ( clicks ) down .
Okay thanks.

For a while I thought it was like pin sights.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've got 2 bolts that will both hit within a 4 inch area. But the other bolt fly's off to the side like a wazooo.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

TYE wrote:I've got 2 bolts that will both hit within a 4 inch area. But the other bolt fly's off to the side like a wazooo.
IS IT BENT???
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

TYE wrote: Wierd because with field points my gold tips are dead on, but once I put these broadheads on them, they fly all over the place. Same broadheads were on my Thunderbolts before and fly fine. I can't figure it out. :?
Go back to the thunderbolts if that was working.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Tye,
A lot can affect the flight of broadheads. If you're not getting tight groups with the broadhead/arrow combination something is very wrong. It could be the broadhead design or weight isn't compatable with that shaft and fletching. It may be something you can figure out and correct, or it may just be simpler to find a broadhead that does work.
I'd check the balance point of that setup and see what the FOC is. If it's low, a heavier broadhead may cure the problem.
wabi
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Hey Tye jujst wondering have you ever used the broadheads that come with the essential kits. I've used nothing but the wasp boss hammers in 100 grain and are they ever accurate. I actually have two sets of broadheads one for target one for hunting. I never practise with field points. Just like gun hunting, my grandfather always said practise with the same thing you plan on killing with. May be a little more money but the game we hunt deserves the most ethical quickest kill. Also how is your breathing try not to breath in when firing. Try this deep breath in, crosshairs on target, exhale slowly, steady crosshairs then fire. This will also help you to remember to breath when a deer is in front of you.
bails111

Post by bails111 »

Same problem here Tye. Sighted in my Vixen with my new setup two weeks ago and have been tweek'in bolts ever since. I'm shooting 20"
2216s with 4" feathers ,aluminum inserts Wasp Boss 100's and Thunderhead 100's. They take off all over the place.The Thunderheads are a little better 3" and 4" groups at 20yds but I would never hunt with them. I know the broadheads are planing but I can't figure it out. I've
aligned my broadheads with the fletching , against the fletching ,nothing
works. I think I'll try brass inserts and see if my FOC is off. BTW when I shoot Shockwave Mechanicals they are dead on at 20 to 50. Same with the fieldpoints. I'm kind of tempted to go mechanicals if I can,t get it together this weekend.
Play Safe
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Remember what a wise man said " If it ain't broke don't fix it"
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !