Horton blues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

readyeddie

Horton blues

Post by readyeddie »

Hi all nice to be here been doing alot of reading.I am not a very happy person with horton crossbows right now.I have had three of the same models in the last two years the model is the legend XL 175.The first time i bought a crossbow was two years ago and never really done much research on them i made my choice due to what other people was saying.

Two years ago when i brought the first one home i was happy and could not wait to go out back to shoot it.I set everything up and was shooting i could not hit the side of a barn it was that bad.So i kept on trying to set the scope up and nothing seem to work.Well i thought i would try one last thing with the scope and cocked it and put a bolt in and was aiming and the dern thing blew up in my face the cams flew all over the yard it was a mess.I called bass pro and they said they would give me a new one so i went on to get a new one i really thought the problem with the bow was me.

I got the second one home and was shooting it and everything seemed to be working fine and it was shooting good at 30 yards.Well never had a chance to shoot a deer with it last season so i put it up until this year.

Two weeks ago i got setup and was going to do some shooting before this season opened.I pulled the string all the way back to lock it and guess
what the thing exploded in my face again this time breaking both limbs.My wife said that is enough of that so i called bass pro back.They said they could not help me because the bow has been recalled and that i should call horton so i did.

Horton said they had limb mounting problems with that model and they would be happy to replace the limbs only.I said i need the whole thing replaced because the cam that flew off took a two inch chunk out of the stock.They said they could not do that so i asked for the manager and i told him off.I told him i wanted the crossbow replaced i can't deal with a 500$ crossbow with a big chunk out of the stock and i also told him that someone could of got hurt really bad due to their recalled product.So he agreed to replace the whole thing.

Well i just got the bow back a few days ago and put it together and the front end is green camo and the stock is brown camo i thought what kind of joke is this.I just got back from shooting it and am very displeased with it.The bow does not shoot right.At 10 yards i got a 4 inch group and 30 yards i get the dirt about five foot in front of the target.I called horton back and told them that my crossbow is two different colors of camo and it don't shoot right.The guy said that's all they can do and hung up on me what a day.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I almost went with that model over my Excalibur. The Horton was a bit cheaper $$$, but I decided to go with the simplicity of a recurve.

My advice is, if you can sell the bow for $300-400, do it. Cut your losses and buy a better bow. I'm not telling you to buy an Excalibur (there are some other good bows out there), but the Excaliburs are all I have ever shot, and they are all I ever want to shoot.

The only mishap I've had with my bow in two years is a dry fire. My mistake. The bow still works fine and is deadly accurate. I bought the bow used, and I figure it is about 5-6 years old. Basically, still like new.

The Excalibur customer service is second to none, and I mean NONE!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
saxman

X-Bow Problem

Post by saxman »

Sorry to hear you are having trouble but I can certainly relate.
There is no customer service anymore.
I feel taken advantage of just about everytime I buy something and like you I let them know about it.But I also praise the ones that do good.
I won a new Bear SQ 32 bow from Buckmasters Gear Grab last month.
However,I am left handed and the bow is right and also I have a disability and can';t shoot vertical bows so I took it to a large shop in my area to trade for a crossbow. The Bear SQ 32 is a NICE bow and not being an informed X-Bow shooter I got taken. I got a not very nice bow with a used scope and mismatched rings(the scope sat crooked),different size bolst and points.when I took it back to complaine the guy still was trying to put old used stuff on the bow. He has already sold my bow so i accepted store credit (and not very much at that). It puts a bad taste in your mouth but I think the best thing we as consumers can do is not spend our money at these places and to let everyone we come in contact with know of our trouble. i have since developed a good relationship with several reputable dealers and Bought an Exomag (don't have it yet)
Dump the Horton and go with the best from the get go.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I forgot to mention that you can probably pick up a used Excalibur for the price of a new Horton, the only difference is that the used Excalibur will more than likely shoot the same as when it came out of the factory. Straight and true.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Man, that is a tough problem.

The frequent failure of modern businesses to provide solid customer service is a symptom of a deeper moral sickness in society; if the owner(s) or controller(s) of a business concern are people of personal integrity, they will see to it that the business does right by it's patrons. On the other hand, if their character is poor, and the almighty dollar rules their heart, that will certainly be reflected in how they treat their customers.

In this case, you are due a product that performs to reasonable standards as advertised ... a crossbow with an appropriate finish that is capable of delivering acceptable groups within expected ranges.

If you cannot get that bow to group with proper arrows, sighting-in procedures and shooting techniques, then Horton definitely owes you a repair or a replacement. This is morally true, but it may not be legally true. It is possible that they have fulfilled all legal obligations toward you, but we all know there is a higher law than warranty papers ... the law of backing up the product you sell because you are an honest manufacturer with the customer's interests at heart, and a concern for the pursuit.

If Horton won't replace your crossbow, and you still can't get it to perform, you face the problem of what to do with it yourself. How can you sell it to someone as an adequately functioning weapon if you know by experience that it doesn't shoot worth a hoot? You'll have to tell them, or you'll descend to the depths of Horton, which evidently made it bad, sold it as good, and refused to make it good when it was proven not to be! The others who said to sell it probably didn't think of it, but you are morally obligated not to pass off that lemon of a crossbow to some hopeful schmuck who doesn't know that he's buying a bow that isn't accurate. If you do to someone else what Horton has done to you, well ... you wouldn't, would you? I believe you're better than that.

I'd try Horton again. Raise a stink. Make some noise. Go to the very top; tell them you're telling others of your bad experience on forums and that you fully intend to inform and warn other crossbowmen about their bad products and poor service if they don't give you complete satisfaction in this matter. Hold their feet to the fire. Make them make it right. Be resolute and inflexible. Demand your due.

Just don't pass off that junker on some unsuspecting buyer. That would be, well, Horton-like. Can't have that, can we?

Grizz
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

That's a real,raw deal there on the Horton.I just sold mine a Safari Express model that I had for 19 yrs. for 100 bucks.I never had a bit of trouble with it ,was satisfied quite well.I guess the guy that got it might have gotten a better quality crossbow than the new ones present.

I went to the Excalibur as it is 2 pounds lighter and I thought I deserved a somewhat newer model and my wife thought it was a nice thank you for building her a patio room for OUR hot tub.

I don't think the confidence will ever be there for shooting the Horton;might as well move on :wink:
exocet

Post by exocet »

Man, that stinks :( That is some horrible customer service right there. Your story alone would probably keep me away from Horton as I believe in top notch customer service. I own an Excalibur Exocet and my 2nd crossbow will pobably be an Excalibur Vixen, not a Horton now at least. good luck, I hope they take care of you, I wouldn`t let up until they did. Jack.
readyeddie

Post by readyeddie »

I talked to my wife and i decided just to take the loss on the horton.I thought about trying to sell it on ebay but that would be the wrong thing to do because i know the crossbow is junk even if it is new.

Well this deer season opens in 4 days and i need something to hunt with so i hope my new crossbow gets here real fast.My wife agreed to use the old credit card to get me a new crossbow.

I ordered the 2006 excalibur exomax with the advanced scope package deal on ebay.I am hopeing you guys are right about excalibur.I can't wait to get to shoot it.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Congrats on your new purchase...all will be well now with the Max. Forget about the Horton and harvest a nice deer.
Good luck.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
M&M

Post by M&M »

hey readyeddie sorry to hear of your bad luck with horton I have had a horton hunter since 1990 and just handed it down to my son since I got a new exocet for fathers day I never had any problems with my horton but you can bet your bottom dollar if I had experienced anything close to what you have I'd raise one heck of a stink I agree totally with grizzly adam those folks at horton need to make it right with you a new crossbow is quite an investment these days and money don't grow on trees at least none in my parts anyway by the way I think you'll love your new bow M&M
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

You are a man of high morals. Enjoy your Max and happy hunting.
Riggs
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, ReadyEddie ...

I'm glad to hear that you don't plan to sell that bum Horton to some unsuspecting soul. When I read that after thinking about it and talking it over with your wife you had decided you'd rather take the loss than do that, I was proud of you. That really says something about who you are, down deep, where it counts.

Whatever sort of raw deal Horton might have given you, you have now proven yourself a man of character in such matters. I'm glad to have you as my fellow hunter, and glad to share my new sport of crossbow hunting with you.

Let's all do everything we can to maintain a high degree of personal ethics when dealing with others! It makes all the difference. There are honest people in the world, and I'm pleased to know you're one of them.

I hope it all works out with your new Excalibur. From what I hear, Bill Troubridge walks the talk when it comes to backing his product. Kudos to him, too. As for that Horton, maybe you can tune it and work with it and get it to shooting halfway decent ... then maybe you could find someone interested, let them try it out, and if they're satisfied, then they could buy it and you could hold your head high.

You made the right decision.

I'd still stay on Horton's case; the flip side of treating others right is standing up for yourself when someone does you wrong. Be polite at all times; be factual; be firm; demand they do right by you. Stay the course!

Grizz
readyeddie

Post by readyeddie »

Grizzly Adam i agree with everything you have said.All i wanted to do with the horton crossbow was go deer hunting and i guess that was to much to ask for from them.I could never use another horton crossbow to hunt with i don't trust them.I'm just down right scared of trying to even cock the crossbow let alone try to shoot a deer in the woods without alarming them first.I'm scared the thing will explode again which could very well hurt myself are others around.It would not really matter at all if they did send me another one even the best model they have i still would not trust it and still would fear the name.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just my 2¢ but it sounds to me like Horton has already admitted to being liable for replacing a faulty product by sending the replacement. Since the replacement is not of good quality, I would think they would be legally obliged to provide a product of equal or better quality than the original. I'd push the issue, even if I had to pay a good lawyer to write them a letter. If you get a good crossbow you could sell it to recover your loss.
wabi
A.W

Post by A.W »

readyeddie wrote:I talked to my wife and i decided just to take the loss on the horton.

I ordered the 2006 excalibur exomax with the advanced scope package deal on ebay.I am hopeing you guys are right about excalibur.I can't wait to get to shoot it.
If I was in your shoe I think I would use the Horton for taget practice and see how much damage an Excomax could do to it.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.