Scope question and advice please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JR

Scope question and advice please

Post by JR »

As a temporary solution, I'm thinking of putting a 3x9x40 mildot scope on my new to me crossbow for this year (Thanks DW! :D ). Would it handle the recoil? This scope has come off of a .223 rifle. I was thinking of leaving it at 4x, sight in the crosshair at 20 yards and use the mildots for yardage and windage. What are your thoughts? Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks,

-Jason
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I used a cheap Bushnell 4 X 32 from walmart for quite a time before the drop zone came out. Still use the scope on my 22 rim fire.
WyoXbow

Post by WyoXbow »

Jason,
I have tested a lot of rifle scopes on crossbows over the years. Unless the scope is designed for a reverse recoil such as the ones designed for crossbows and air rifles you will have a hard time holding the recticles together. Even a red dot. One other thing, rifle scopes are parallax free at 100 yards. Crossbow scopes are usually designed for 50 yards.
Good Luck,
Dale
http://thecrossbowshop.com
The Largest Inventory of Excalibur and TenPoint Crossbows on the Web.
turkeylips

scope

Post by turkeylips »

i myself use rifle scopes on my x-bows i have blown a couple up but i do a lot of shooting.most scopes will take the vibration of the x-bows. a good quality air rifle scope is best because the recoil of a air rifle is the same as a x- bow.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I have used the cheapest (tasco) to fairly expensive rifle scopes and to-date have never had a problem of any type.

However this being stated I have READ but NOT seen any problems using any type of rifle scope on a xbow .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
WyoXbow

Scope Parallax

Post by WyoXbow »

A 22-riflescope and crossbow scopes are generally parallax free at 50 yards, a large riflescope at 100 yards. To test to see how much parallax your scope has. At 30 yards shoulder your crossbow and aim at the bulls eye, now tilt your head to the right and to the left. You will have more head movement with a large riflescope this is parallax. It is important with any scope to place your head in the same spot each time for the best shot.
On my web sight I offer a removable cheekrest from Chris Rodgers, of International Training Concepts, Chris is a Navy Seal; he makes a custom version of the ITC CHEEKREST for me. Together with an internal pouch and closed cell foam you can elevate the stock to best suit your head placement. Therefore you can keep your head in the same position shot after shot.
Later,
Dale
http://thecrossbowshop.com
The Largest Inventory of Excalibur and TenPoint Crossbows on the Web.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

JR you are better to get a scope that is designed for crossbows or airguns . When I first started to shoot in 3-d`s I went through two simmons scopes and one bushnell . It was the same problem with all three the reticles just could not take that reverse recoil . The worse one was the simmons, got it home mounted it and didn`t get past 5 shots at 10 yds. Just one more week till THE SEASON .