Venting: Rocky Boots - I am SO MAD - TWICE!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

John Wade

Venting: Rocky Boots - I am SO MAD - TWICE!

Post by John Wade »

I purchased my first pair of Rocky boots (model 7396 - Lynx 400 SiQ) on April 6, 2006. I was looking for a spring/fall/summer weight boot good for scouting for deer and turkey and just general hiking in the woods.

Just before turkey season I discovered during my first post-rain walk through some wet grass that the left boot leaked around the lower part of the tongue. It's a significant leak as my sock eventually became soaked.

Ultimately though the problem became that the Archer's Nook in London which was the store I bought them at, the Rocky Canadian customer service contact and customer service in the U.S. They all insisted that I couldn't get my money back or have the boots exchanged until the boot were returned to the retail outlet, shipped back by them to the company and tested. Tested for what I thought? For a flaw in their boot or in my character. I went through all this and a couple of months later I have the replacement pair. Big suprise to them I suppose that I wasn't making a living scamming foot wear companies.

I've worn the boots maybe half a dozen times to get used to them. Today I went to do a little more scouting and it had rained during the nights. Same problem, same boot, same place. I'm thinking it must be a design flaw and I'm thinking they have to be aware of it.

Their return policy is ridiculous and the first time the owner of the Archer's Nook in London where I bought them really got p*ssed and literally called me a liar in front of other customers when I asked and then insisted on a refund or an exchange. It was uncalled for as even though I wasn't getting what I wanted I was calm and polite. I ended up sending the boots back through CK Gun Shop who did so only as a favour.

They sell cop boots and work boots too. What's a young construction guy supposed to do if his boots tank? "Sorry boss, I can't afford to buy new ones yet I'll be back in a couple of months. hold my job for me." I'd rather they'd make better boots and build in a "fraud margin" if it's such a big problem.

So here we are, deer this time, the opening a few days away and I'm without dry boots again. Did I mention I'm mad and frustrated? I'll try and get them replaced again as I can't get my money back but it will never happen in time. The season they were designed for will be long over. I need to find another make from a company other then Rocky and the Archer's Nook that actually stands behind their product and doesn't leave their customer hanging in the wind.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Anybody recommend a good company with a good spring/fall and heavier weight boot, (as I'm buying for the winter too) that doesn't have to take months to check for flaws to make sure their inconvenient customers are liars before they'll stand up to the plate? I have a EEE width so it's been hard to find in the past.

Oh yeah, I found out who the Director of Quality Assurance was at Rocky. A woman named Chris Lawson in Logan Ohio and wrote her a letter outlining my problem and concern about their frustrating return policy. She never wrote or called back.

- Bootless John
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
mkgeorgetown

Post by mkgeorgetown »

Hi John,
I understand your frustration. I can recommend (not sure how much you may want to spend, these were about $150) Danner Frontier 6" boots. They are all leather and are lined with gore tex, and are uninsulated. Seem to be very well made (I have had no leaking issues and have stood in water). Not to mention they are very comfortable and appear to be made to last.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Rocky Boots are made in China.

I wouldn't buy Rocky boots if I had to go bare footed.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
exocet

Post by exocet »

Woody Williams wrote:Rocky Boots are made in China.

I wouldn't buy Rocky boots if I had to go bare footed.
They were great boots when they were made in Ohio. Even alot of Danner boots are made over seas now :x If you want really great boots, but they are kinda pricey, get Chippewas, I love mine. They are uninsulated, but with the right liners and socks, I can go until the end of October. As I nead a good boot with 800 + grams of thinsulate now, the Chippewas would run me over $200. I am really tempted to try the Cabela`s brand. Heck, even Redwings are made over seas now and too boot(no pun intended) these companies still charge big bucks for their boots. Corporations suck :evil: Jack.
Last edited by exocet on Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I have the Irish setter Elk tracker. Have had them for 6 years now. Awsome boot great foot bed & no leaks. I have heard Irish setter Customer service is second to none.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
mkgeorgetown

Post by mkgeorgetown »

Darn near everything is made in China.
John Wade

China

Post by John Wade »

Made in China eh. I didn't know that.

As a Candian, I always try to buy Canadian, if I can't then U.S. is fine with me. I also always try to buy from local ma and pa places like the Archer's Nook too but when the the company, as big as Rocky's or as small as the Archers Nook doesn't stand behind their product well just shame on them.

Now I'll be looking into the country of manufacture as a condition of purchase in addition to return policy of company and retailer.

Thanks for the suggestions on other boots. I don't mind spending more to buy something comfortable and long wearing.

John "Rinky Dink Rocky Boots" Wade
www.johnwade.ca
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I have 2 pair of rockies that I bought in DUbois PA.both are about 6-7 yrs old gortex lined no problems ,maybe I lucked out for once.
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

I have a pair of Irish Setters Buck Trackers. 1600grams of thinsulate and never had a problem with wet feet. This will be my 3rd year with them. I have literally walked through creeks with them and they still repelled the water and kept the feet dry. They go for around $150 on sale.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Around here, most of us wear knee-high rubber boots from various manufacturers. I'm trying to wear out a pair of Burlys right now.

They definitely do not leak, although they are hot and don't breathe ... nor are they particularly warm ... but they're the standard issue hereabouts, as much for protection against fang and venom as water.

Grizz
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Most of the good ole boys round here use Burleys. Hard to wear them out and they never leak. They're to hot for me. I've been wearing Cabala's rubber marsh boots for years but it's not that cold down here in the Missouri Ozarks.
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

For you guys with the Irish Setters I may have to check out their "great customer service". I bought mine in February and while scouting in the rain last week sure enough they leaked. I'm not very happy as I had bought another brand of cheaper boots and took them in (in the spring) because they leaked and traded up to these and now they leak. It's too bad because they are very warm and comfortable. They are the 800gram ones (not sure of the name). TC
exocet

Post by exocet »

My brother has an awsome pair of Timberlines from about 20 years ago and they are still going strong!! They were $200 then. What has happened to Timberline boots? Jack.
xbow_stan

Post by xbow_stan »

B.A. Mason shoes has E4 boots:

http://www.bamason.com/product.asp?fami ... =80&type=3

My most recent pair of work boots from them were made in China, but they still warranty them the same. Unfortunately, they are mail order only unless you are near Wisconsin. They made a decent quality boot and one that fits.

Stan
John Wade

Irish Setters

Post by John Wade »

trky chsr wrote:For you guys with the Irish Setters I may have to check out their "great customer service". I bought mine in February and while scouting in the rain last week sure enough they leaked. TC
I see you're in SW Ontario too. I spoke to Fodemisi shoes here in London Ontario. They have a reputation for quality and knowing what they talk about. They carry Irish Setters so I called them to ask about guarantee. If I understood correctly and before I buy you can be darn tootin after the last fiasco I will be sure, the manager said that Setters are guaranteed to workmanship flaws for the first year so you'd be falling well within the range. Let me know when you take yours back how you make out. Refund/Return/No Questions Asked?

John "Shopping Like a Woman" Wade
www.johnwade.ca