Excalibur Wolverine

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald

Excalibur Wolverine

Post by gerald »

Is this a good hunting bow? When did they quit making them? Are they desireable? What kind of speed are we talking?
Tom

Post by Tom »

The Wolverine is a good bow. This bow was the second model that excalibur produced the Relayer was the first (I still use it, accurate and dependable like all excal products). The wolverine was the first model with the dual limbs (split limbs) as the relayer had only one single limb.

Many people still use and love this bow. If I remember correctly, it was an 150lb bow and for speeds my relayer gets 275fps with standard excalibur arrows and 100gr head.

Good luck
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Answer to your first question is yes it is still a good bow , it has the power stroke of a vixen . I still have mine and I have had people offer to buy it for when they sold their`s they had wished they had held on to it . In comparision to today`s bows it doesn`t have the speed but boy is it a sweet shooting bow . DO NOT USE fast flight string on it though for you will destroy the limb tip . I used it the one year down at the NCHO precision because it had such a known trajectory . Good luck and remember no matter how fast the arrow is going it only goes through once .
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Add MagTip limbs, fff string and its all ya need, both in fast and hard hitting. Mine gets well over 285fps + .... :D thats with a 350-351gr arrow/bolt.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Digger

Post by Digger »

There are still quite as few of us here that still use a Wolverine to hunt with.
They were made from 1986 to 1992 when the Exocet was born. My wolverine with with mag tips and FFF string ges 280 to 285 Fps.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
gerald

Post by gerald »

How much is a pair of Mag Tip limbs and availability?
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Archers Nook is selling magtip limbs for $149.00/pair (stock # 408)

http://www.archersnook.com/catalogue.php?Category=102
Darz Bór!
gerald

Post by gerald »

Here is what I am thinking. XX75 2213, 100 Wasp or Thunderhead, sighted dead on at 20 yds and no shots at more than 30. Do you think this is resonable?
Tom

Post by Tom »

gerald wrote:Here is what I am thinking. XX75 2213, 100 Wasp or Thunderhead, sighted dead on at 20 yds and no shots at more than 30. Do you think this is resonable?
Not exactly sure what you are getting at with that above statement but with my 150lb Relayer I shoot 2216 & 2117 with 100gr spitfire heads. I am sighted in for 30 yards and pitty any deer out to 40 yards. I normally limit my shots to 35 yards but if the situation is just right, I will take it at 40.

Last year I believe that it was the Ontario record moose (archery) taken with a 150lb excalibur bow. There is more than enough power with a bow of 150lb pull.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Shot placement is first and foremost. Get it in the vitals and they are dead!

My first bow kill was a doe at 15yards. She was broadside and I got a complete double lung pass through and the bolt cut through (3-4 inches of ice on the far side, burying the head in the mud. I use a 175lb Exocet. The ice supported the weight of 7 deer in the group crossing it, so I'm not kidding about the wallop these bows deliver.

Found the bolt in the spring after the snow and ice melted. Get a good quality broadhead and you'll be fine.

The distance you can shoot at a deer depends on how alert they are. If they are on edge I personally would not attempt a shot past 30 yards. Under 25 yards I go for the lungs. If the deer seems spooky, aim a bit low, at the heart. If it tries to duck, you hit the lungs, if not, you hit the heart. Dead deer either way.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!