More freezer meat. My 10yr old scores a double!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

More freezer meat. My 10yr old scores a double!

Post by DuckHunt »

After this mornings hunt, I didn't expect this afternoon could get any better. I was just expecting some great time in the woods with my 10 year old son. He's killed a few squirrels and I've taken him rifle hunting, but he has never pulled the trigger on a deer.

We were hunting in a two-man stand and got up the tree at about 4pm. About 4:45 we saw a doe working around behind us on my side so we swapped places. We watched for the longest but it never came closer than about 45 yards. He scoped it for the longest. About 5:20 I heard something back behind my side an noticed a couple small deer. He swung around and got a rest across in front of me. One deer came down to about 30 steps in front of us and he took the shot. I saw the arrow bound off a log behind the deer and really thought he had shot over it. It ran off at full throttle.

The second of the two never ran off. I quietly pulled out my rope cocker, stood up and cocked my Exomax and loaded it up. He watched the second deer thru the scope for a few minutes back up in a thicket about 30 yards out. I was really waiting for the deer to come out either side to present a good shot and THWANG! My son tosses a second arrow. I didn't even know he had taken the safetly off. This little deer appeared hit! It stopped about 50 yards away and was swaying back and forth. It ended up coming closer and disappeared about 40 yards away.

We waited about 15 minutes and hit the ground. As I mentioned this morning, I had my camcorder rolling. We quickly found blood on the second deer he shot at and after about few minutes of trailing around in a 40 yard circle he found his first deer. I nice eating small doe.

About this time I'm thinking, What about that first arrow? We circled out the direction the first deer had went but didn't see anyting. I went out to where I saw the arrow bound off the log and found it. It was covered in blood. Nice! A heavy blood trail was close by. He tracked it about 80 yards with it bleeding heavy the whole way. It was small button-buck.

I could not possibly be prouder at the moment. My 10yr old took his first and second deer today with my Exomax. Both shots were at roughly 30 yards at relatively small deer. (both <60#). Together we took four deer today in four shots.

He's a lucky fart as well. In the picture you can see where the arrow hit the front leg...then ricocheted up and caught the deer in the neck cutting the jugular. Dumb luck. The second was hit low in the front shoulder bone and drove clean through.

I'm pooped. What a day to remember.
Texas Dirt Devil

Post by Texas Dirt Devil »

Exomax $510
The right stuff pack $250
Your son scoring a double - PRICE LESS

CONGRATS -
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Look like you're going to need to buy another freezer :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Way to go!!!!!!!!
wabi
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's ... they will be good eating !

Great to get the kids into it as well !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

damn, ya'll are putting the hurting on some doe 8)
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

That's a great story and a great picture of your Son and his deer. Way to go.
duber

Post by duber »

Wow thats great!Your freezer must be filling up quick!
saxman

Post by saxman »

Way to go young man
Two thumbs up right back at ya!!!!!!!!! :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO