Spitfire's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

steven in England

Post by steven in England »

originally NAP said that as long as you replaced the clips over 400fps would not open the blades. Exactly what Tom posted in his response. However, that guy has left NAP and the new technical guy told me he has an Exomax for testing and the results were inconclusive. They have also taken that 400fps figure off their website. The best thing to do like Tom said is to shoot through paper just off the bow and see what happens. NAP also said not to put rubber bands on the spitfire, I cannot remember the reason but I did ask the question. The other thing is the closer the bolt weight is to 350 grains the more chance they could open as opposed to having a heavier bolt.
Hope this helps Steven
Steven in England
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I have an Exomax with the standard carbon arrows from the right stuff package. My son and I killed four deer Monday with Spitfire 100s. My shots were 10 and 20 yards. Both of his were 30-35 yards.

Based on the entrance wound size, the Spitfires did not open prior to contact on any of the deer. The entrance wounds were roughly the size of a quarter. My concern was that the entrance wound would not be large enough to create a good blood trail. I thought you would need a pass through to get good blood output. This is not the case. Getting a pass through was no problem and I had plenty of blood out of both sides. The exit wound is enormous. One deer ran like a bolt of lightning after been shot through the shoulders breaking one of them and went about 80 yards. The other three went down in sight of the treestand.

Earlier while I was picking up freezer paper I picked up another pack of Spitfires. There are probably many other great heads out there, but I have no reason to try one of them at the moment. :D