Spitfire's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bucklandman

Spitfire's

Post by bucklandman »

Hi Guys,

I'm just a little concerned about the new spitfires i just purchased 125's, have any of you ever experienced bad results with the spitfires out of the exomax :?: :?: maybe opening in flight??
I've heard there is a chance they may open in flight, due to the exomax ultra quick acceleration.. and if so,,,, would adding an o-ring possibly be an insurance policy?? any feedback would be appreciated..
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

what happens when it oppens in flight :?:
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
TYE

Re: Spitfire's

Post by TYE »

bucklandman wrote:, would adding an o-ring possibly be an insurance policy?? .
Hehe good way of putting it. :) Umm, that could be a good idea. I've never used Spitfires though.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I had in the past received an e-mail from the company telling me that the spitfire has been tested (with a high speed camera) to speeds of over 450 fps and never had it open early. They did mention that once the retainer clips have been used, it will lose some ability to hold the blades closed. They recomend that a maxium of 5 shots for the retainer clips before they get replaced. I would imagine that with the power of the Exomax, 5 shots might be too many.

If you are interested to find out if the blades are opening early, place a piece of paper about 3 feet infront of the bow, and another infront of the target. The one dirrectly on the front of the target will tell you if the head did open in flight. If the tell tale blade cut shows on the paper (normally there is only a small entry hole with no blade cut), then it did open early. The piece of paper just infront of the bow, will help only if the other shows that it did open early. This will also show how early it opened. If it was when being fired or during flight.

Good luck and happy testing. BTW, I have never had any sign of early opening when I limited the clips to a very few shots.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
bucklandman

Post by bucklandman »

Tom wrote:I
Good luck and happy testing. BTW, I have never had any sign of early opening when I limited the clips to a very few shots.

:lol: :lol: So in that case if i keep brand new tip's for hunting it should not be an issue!!! Thanks for the info!!
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Why would you practice with the real broadhead instead of the target point. Spitfires are mechanicals and have the same flight path as the target point.

Please read the over 115 posts on this topic and it will save repeatedly answering the same questions.

Mechanicals rule
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I have taken 2 deer this year useing SPITFIRE 100 PROS . I took 1 at 53 yards and one at 30 with my MAX both deer went down in 5 to 10 yards with huge entrance and exit wonds , I like them This is my first year useing expansabels , wont be my last.
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Tom

Post by Tom »

bucklandman wrote:
Tom wrote:I

:lol: :lol: So in that case if i keep brand new tip's for hunting it should not be an issue!!! Thanks for the info!!
Bucklandman like others have said, use the practice blades (non cutting inserts) in the heads. You will have the same weight and airrodinamics as the hunting heads. I have done much testing myself to prove that the practice heads and hunting heads hit the same (they do). After you prove this to yourself, you too will have the confidance in only practicing with the practice blades.

I Only Hunt With NEW BLADES & CLIPS. IF I do ever feel the need to practice with hunting blades, I will not use them more then 4 or 5 times.

I also truely believe that most occurances of early opening of the heads (with any quality mechanicals) is probually caused by the user not doing proper maintance to the head. Mechanicals are not for everyone. They are not a head that you can just put into your quiver and forget about year after year. THe heads with rubber bands or O-rings need to be checked regular incase the rubber deteriates. With the Spitfire (or other heads that use retainer clips), you should inspect the dimples on the clips to make sure they can still hold with the force needed. For me, I just apply a little force to the blade to see what it would take to open them (experiance has taught me how much is required) but not to actually open.

Good luck.
Tom
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Always double check your Spitfires once you get seated in your stand/blind. I found that by placing them in my quiver that one or more of the blades were slightly opened once I put them on the rail. Just double check to make sure they are all closed before you load the bolt.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

Great point ECOASTER !! , that should be a rule of thumb with any expandable head,
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
bucklandman

Post by bucklandman »

Thanks for all the replies,,

As for the practice heads i have some and do practice with them a lot,, but i'm in the habit of always testing my actual hunting tips i just feel better knowing that i've double checked,,
The practice heads are not exactly like the actual heads therefore in my books, need to be tested (for peace of mind purposes)

Kendo kid""" as for "past topics" ...that's what they are "past topics", i personnally like to interact with people and like to ask my own questions.. if they have been asked before so be it.
i respecfully disagree with your comment. this is a forum for conversation and information if you prefer to look up past topics,, and thru it find answer's to your questions all the best to you :lol: ,,,,
personally i like to ask a specific question concerning my specific situation and equipment.

All this said and done i wish everybody on excalibur forum best of luck and a safe deer hunting season

Now let;s go out there and get the big ones!!!
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Doing good research before taking other peoples time is both considerate and develops an understanding that avoids having to clarify baisc points like the use of target points. It is considerate and reason the Past Topics and Search are on the sight. If you did a Search there is no telling what other things you would learn that you may not have even thought of. Good reading.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
AirForceVet

Post by AirForceVet »

bucklandman wrote:Hi Guys,

............ i just purchased 125's, .......
still learning here....but what is the advantage for the 125's, I thought excalibut recommended a 100g broadhead........does it help accuracy while decreasing speed?

sorry to sound stupid .
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/wvromania/OCT06.jpg[/img]
Tom

Post by Tom »

AirForceVet wrote:

still learning here....but what is the advantage for the 125's, I thought excalibut recommended a 100g broadhead........does it help accuracy while decreasing speed?

sorry to sound stupid .
AirForceVet please do not worry about a question sounding stupid. The only stupid question is an unasked question. If you do not know or are unsure, it is always better to ask then to stay confused.

Also past topics are good, but they do not always put the words into a meaning that you can totally understand easily. Asking questions on this forum is always welcome and it is also incouraged.

As for the 125 heads, it is mostly the shooters preferance in what they want. The advantages of the 125 over the 100's are that it is heavier, giving you more FOC (if you disire that), more KE when striking the animal. The major disadvantage is that since it is heavier, you will loose arrow speed. As for helping accuracy, other then maybe helping your FOC (depends on your arrow setup), the extra weight will not help. It is the quality of head/arrow setup that depends on your accuracy.

I believe that Excalibur recommends the 100's because with any of their models of bows, there is more then enough KE for pass throughs (except for maybe larger animals - moose) and the greater speed with the 100's is favoured.

Good luck
Tom
bucklandman

Post by bucklandman »

AirForceVet wrote:

sorry to sound stupid .
No question is stupid!!!
The reason i use 125's is because i'm using gold tip lazers 2 (light bolt)it first off helps a little with kinetic energy as well as foc.. Does add an overall 25gr to bolt. decreases speed a tad but nothing to notice,,All in all helps accuracy a tad!!

I'm also in the learning stages and am trying all kinds of different combo's ,bolt tip, fletching, as well as inserts.. Still have not found the ultimate,, but love trying.
To tell you the truth i had much better accuracy with xx75 2216 tipped with 100's a little heavyier with better foc, flies better in windy situations as the carbons seem to vary a bit more when it's windy. seems to be more stable then the carbons, trade off is a little bit of speed..

My next test will be gold tip's with brass inserts 125's and 4 inch 3degree offset vanes. I have heard good things about this combo!!!
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks