Rut activity

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ronster

Rut activity

Post by Ronster »

I'm expecting the Rut to pick up here in CT the first week of Nov.,and I assume it might be a week or two earlier up in Canada. If this is right , I'd like to hear from my friends up North if and when they see some Rutting activity. Good hunting.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Sounds bout right. Our peak is bout Nov. 13th. here.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

it usually starts around Nov 1st here and lasts untill mid Nov.. depending on if its cool or not.. thats down south though
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Serious Scraping October 26 -31
Seeking Nov 1 - 4
Chasing Young Bucks Nov. 1 - 4 Mature Bucks Nov 5 & 6
All phases of the above Nov. 7 - 10
Breeding Nov. 11 - 24 with 1/4 of the does coming in heat every 3 days
Trolliing Nov 25 - 28
2nd Serious Scraping Nov 29 -Dec 1

Studies in a wide variety of states indicate breeding, gestation and fawn drop occur pretty much the same time throughout the Northern hunting area.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Ronster

Post by Ronster »

Thanks Kendo, good info. Can't wait.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I tought it was a bit early for the rut, but I watched a nice 8-point courting this group of three mature does last Friday morning in Virginia. It was a crisp cool morning (~40 degrees) and deer were moving well. The buck was obviously looking for action from one of the does and trailed her with his neck extended and head down to the ground following her every step.

I took an ill advised 40 yard free handed shot between a couple trees and nailed one of the trees about 25 yards out. If my arrow travelled about 1.5" to the left it would have nailed the biggest buck I've shot at in my lifetime. To be honest, Friday the 13th had nothing to do with it. Obvious buck fever got to me. My follow through on the shot was awful. Live and learn.

The rut may not be on yet, but this one big buck is definately getting in some early action.
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I will let you know on monday.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Up here in northeastern CT and MA rubs and scrapes have just started to be seen this week, most of the leafs are down and its a lot easyer to see in the woods now. I saw a small 4 pointer trailing a few does at dark yesterday across the swamp . I thinkin a week or 2 thinks should heat up GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I'm located in Eastern Ontario and found my first scrape yesterday. Nearly had an opportunity at a small buck yesterday, as well. He came to about 35 yds. Little too far for may liking.
Ronster

Post by Ronster »

I've seen 4, 6 and an 8 pt. bucks in my yard this summer and early fall. Now they seem to have disappeared. Maybe this is the October lull I've heard of.