Which Block target to get?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Corvus

Which Block target to get?

Post by Corvus »

I've read a bunch of the threads on the Blocks and I'm going to get one this week. If I want one target that I can use for my crossbow field points, crossbow broadheads, vertical bow field points and vertical bow broadheads... which one do I want? The Crossbow Block or the Block 4x4?

The 4x4 has more surfaces, but will it hold up against the Exomax as well? Price is not a factor in my decision.

Thanks!
Last edited by Corvus on Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have the original Block(white) with black dots, not the crossbow model.
It is holding up well against two Excals. One center target is weaker because of too many broadhead hits. I'd say get the white one, that's the one I'd buy over again.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

If the ORIGINAL Block does fine for you from a crossbow, then it seems to me that the 4x4 would be even better, right? If I'm understanding correctly, it's the original compressed material encased in a rubbery coat, isn't it?

Has anyone shot both the 4x4 and the Crossbow Block and compared the penetration/durability?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

The Crossbow King from American Whitetail Targets...

http://www.archerytargets.com/
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I have the xbow block and I am sad to say that I shot the center out of it in about a month. It held up fine with field tips but when I changed to broadheads for hunting, I had to resight the bow. After about 20-30 shots the bolts started passing straight through. I am scared to shoot at the outside targets because I have been having some accuracy issues lately and the block is so small that there is no room for error on the outside bulls. Oh well, I won't be wasting another 80 bucks on the xbow block again. I do have a friend with a 4x4 and he says it works great with his exomax so I would recomend that. I just checked out woody's link though and those things look pretty good. I think I may try one of those next.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i shot 3 bheads at my xbow block and it's eating that spot up already also.. it holds fine for field tips
hawg hunter

targets

Post by hawg hunter »

take the advice of a crossbow shooter . i did and have not regreted it . check out wabi's thread Crossbow King . 1/2 the price of what your looking at
TYE

Post by TYE »

Woody Williams wrote:The Crossbow King from American Whitetail Targets...

http://www.archerytargets.com/
Good target. My friend just bought one and I plan on buying one.

Right now I have THE BLACK HOLE. I've beaten the snot out of it though and need a new one.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

This target works well for me . Shootable from all sides 18 targets. Stops an exocet 200 fine, Broadheads and fieldpoimts. Orderd from pro bow hunter. 80.00 to your door.http://www.probowhunter.com/product.php ... bestseller
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I bought a Block 4x4 when I picked up my Exomax in August. I love it. I use the Spitfire heads with practice blades or field points mostly so I can't speak to how it will stand up to excessive broadhead use. For normal use mine shows hardly any wear with at least 150 shots into it.

Having two deer sides (one designed for elevated shooting) and two other spotted sides is a plus in my opinion. I shoot the standard GT2 carbon arrows. They go in about 6-8 inches with a 20' shot from my Exomax. I can pull them out by hand, though it is sometimes a bit tough to get them moving.

I like my Block 4x4. Had I known the price prior to the register, I would probably have reconsiderd.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. I agree with what the Crossbow King manufacturer says about solid vs layers, but I think the 4x4's coating would negate most of the problem with the layers coming out. I get a huge discount at a certain store nearby because my wife works for the company, so my options are limited to what they have in stock, which is why I was focusing on the various models of Blocks.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I got cold feet about buying a Block the other day and thought that I'd be responsible and give my Yellow Jacket B/H target (not the crossbow model) a chance against the ExoMax first. Going to get a Block 4x4 today!