Anyone cock a xbow in a tree stand ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREY OWL

Anyone cock a xbow in a tree stand ??

Post by GREY OWL »

On Monday Oct. 16 I shot a doe at 20 yards with my exomag. It only went another 10 yards, layed down and died.

Anyway, just for the hell of it, I tried cocking my Exomag in my homemade tree stand. To my surprise it wasn't a problem at all. As long as you have a platform to stand on, the rope cocking aid works awesome.

I remember reading a post quite awhile back, where someone had a problem with it, and was actually loading it by sitting down in the treestand, sticking their leg straight out, foot in the stirrup, and pulling back.

My question.............. how many of you guys load your Xbows in your tree stands ?

I will add I did have a lanyard hooked up, so if I did the swan dive out of the stand, I'd only go a few feet down. :roll:

Grey Owl
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have stretched my leg out while sitting and pulled it back.
deerman

Post by deerman »

I have a crankaroo for my max. and have used it in the stand;had to take it off the safety stop because each crank made a clicking noise.
the elf

Post by the elf »

Deerman------use your fingers on your non cranking hand to muffle sound from crankeroo-----it really does work---and you can still hear the click when it reaches full cock position------elf. :D :D
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

to do mine on the ground... I think some have isues since their stands arent wide enough to place the bow down on. Most of mine are hang on's with big platforms so i have plenty open room to stand on the peg and draw it back if I needed. But I still cock mine before entering the woods though.. time and time again I walk up on deer before getting to my stand. So im always ready for them. I dont have a bolt in it though unless I see one
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Its tough but it can be done by hand also.....Ifn you just took a shot and your adrenline is pumpin. last year I cocked my 200lb exomag by hand....I didnt relize it until it was over That i forgot to get my rope cocker out....
Last edited by Hoss on Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

I have done the sit, stretch leg, and pull by hand method. 175 Exocet I don.t know if I could do it with the mag.
Riggs
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I've done it standing up and sitting down. No different than on the ground.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Opening day it was a pain to cock my Exomax in my chain on stand in the rain before daylight. Even more fun was putting on my safety harness after I was already up the tree. I'm sure the deer were all just out of bow range laughing at me. I now cock my bow and put on my harness before I depart my vehicle. I don't load an arrow till I'm up the tree unless I see something in route.

As for cocking it in the stand, opening day in the rain was a fluke. I've cocked it five times since while in the stand using the rope aid and it is no different than being on the ground. Just stand up and get're done.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I cock mine standing in my tree stand. I walk in, tie a rope on stirup of my crossbow, climb up the tree hang my stand, plull it up and cock it in the stand. I used to cock it on the ground but sometimes the safty came off on the way up, not good. mine is a exocet 173# even without the cocking aid it's no problem.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's on your doe Neil ! ... good shooting ! .... as for cocking my bow in the stand .... it isn't that easy in a climber with the side rails ! ... you need to sit down and put your foot out ... the rope cocker makes it easier though !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
ch312

Post by ch312 »

when i use to use my 150# barnett thunderbolt i could cock it by putting the stock against my abs and just pull back the string if i had to do it that way...such as wen a squirell is really close and i wanted to pop him! :lol:

not even gonna try doin that with my exomax :shock:
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

i can sit are stand. i like sit and stretch my leg out work's better and less movement
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I put a large screw in hook about 2 feet above my mt head when standing up in my stand, I hang the bow on it by the sturup then I pull down on the handels and its cocked , easyer than useing your foot :D :D
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I have cocked by Exomax in the climbing stand with the rope cocking aid with no problem a number of times. I place the stirrup on the platform of the stand. I have hand cocked it a few times, but am concerned the string will not be dead center and the cocking aid takes care of that and it is much easier.