Safe target shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sinclair

Safe target shooting

Post by sinclair »

Hi. I would like some opinions on how much distance from a bag target is required. I live in an urban area and just purchased an Exocet 200 and an Excalibur target. I am finding it hard to resist setting up in the backyard and trying it out. I would be shooting from about 10 yards. Is this safe?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I had the same issue. I took my first few shots in a safe location. Got everything sighted in . . .now I'm shooting it in my back yard. I have never come close to missing the target. I rarely miss the center of the bullseye now. I do have a 6 foot fence . . .but it's been a non-issue. I have a buddy that shoots his in the backyard too . . .no fence. I'm concerned about kids running around the house and into the line of fire, so I only shoot during school hours. I work from home, so that part is easy.

Need to make sure the target will catch the bolt. That's a bigger issue than missing. From 10 feet, you probably will never miss. The target not catching or malfunction (broken string or scope wiggle) is a greater risk.

When in doubt . . .do something else . . .error on the side of safety.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Sinclair,

Check your local bylaws, I'm quite sure you will find that you are not allowed to discharge a firearm within defined city limits (exceptions should be defined). If you were to have a stray, that bolt could cause serious damage out to 50 yards easily.

Don't play dangerous games, stick to the rual areas and shooting ranges.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I'd be REAL carefull about doing that in the Hamilton area. The chances are that you would be charged under the CCC for "Weapons Dangerous".
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

I very seldon do any shooting in my back yard but when I do its only a shot or two. I have a wooden privacy fence & besides my "block" backstop I have my Rubbermaid storeage shed "full" of my stuff. The loaded crossbow must always be pointed down or at the target only, at all times.