I don't mean to sound like a traitor but...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Martin

I don't mean to sound like a traitor but...

Post by Martin »

I know that this is an excalibur site, but has anyone seen the new Styker xbow due to be released! Check out the web site. I must admit, that prod looks a little impractical. Reps claim it will retail at around $1600+! I really wonder how long this thing will keep it together. I have been a Barnett shooter for many years, while most of my friends own 200lb Hortons. I have only recently purchased my exomax, and i can swear that the max if far more powerful than any xbow i have used before. Anyhow, i am looking forward to the Stryker's reviews in 6 months time.
You only live once!
TYE

Post by TYE »

People have been posting about the Stryker here I dunno how many times for the last while.
hawg hunter

traitor

Post by hawg hunter »

Even though the grass may look greener on the other side of the fence.It could be poison and hit you where it hurts the most , your pocket book with intial price ,tuning and repairs.Stay with something that is tried and true 'EXCALIBUR'
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I agree , with all the cables and wheels there is nothing but trouble waiting around the corner . What do you do if something goes wrong with it on a moose hunt stop hunting all together . I really believe in the KISS theory .
A.W

Post by A.W »

One of the advantages of having an Excal product is........YOU DON"T HAVE TO BE A MECHANIC TO USE ONE! :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

For $1600 you could buy two fully loaded Excaliburs. :shock:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
shawn_b

Post by shawn_b »

look at ten point there just as high i have a horton paid under 300 us$
worked just fine taking my 8 pointer
Last edited by shawn_b on Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Guess I'm gettin' old.
I tried a lot of crossbows before I found one that was really accurate and dependable enough to hunt with (Excalibur - of course :wink: ). Then I tried a few different Excalibur models, Vixen - Exocet - and Phoenix.
I finally realized that any of the Excaliburs will do the job and do it well! I can't see any magical increases in numbers of deer I kill with the faster models, actually it went the other way :oops: because I was looking for a speedy arrow to make up for the need to get up real close and personal with the deer before taking a shot. For me - I need to get close and make a very good (as in accurate) shot at the right spot on a properly angled deer. As distance increases the accuracy and ability to judge the shot angle and placement decreases in my case (and probably everyone else's if they will admit it). My last deer was a doe that came walking by my blind Monday evening. She was my first attempt at a moving deer but she was less than 15 yards (probably closer to 10 yards) from me and it was decision time. I was tracking the "sweet spot" in my scope from the moment she came into view, and I really didn't think much or long. I moved the safety to "off" and squeezed the trigger almost automatically. I can tell you honestly that it wouldn't have mattered a bit whether the arrow was travelling 250 fps or 500 fps. It was close - my aim was good - she was angled perfectly....... well it comes down to a success formula I just made up for myself.
Short range + sharp broadhead + good shot placement with proper orientation of target = dead deer!
Notice arrow speed is not in that formula! :wink:
I have killed several deer with my Excalibur(s) over the years. I have unfortunately missed a couple, too. And I have hit & lost a couple, too :oops: . When I applied the above formula I have always ended up with a short blood trail and a deer for the freezer. I might not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but if a combination works perfectly - why change? Looking back at my successes and failures I have picked out what worked and what didn't.
I've never lost a deer with a well placed shot (through both lungs) at close range regardless of arrow velocity, so I'm not really hyped about the new fabulous high speed crossbow models.
wabi
Wags

Post by Wags »

If you have $1600 and want to purchase a new crossbow for this price have at it! I'm happy with my $400 Excalibur and a friend is happy with his $275 other name brand. We both took deer this weekend. Nothing against spending a lot of money for anything you want, but how much is too much?
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

You guys are right.
You cant get much deader than dead.
If it feels good, DO IT.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i do not think that the guys like me that put down their crossbow when gun season opens will be paying that kind of money for a crossbow. i love my exomax and my30-06. my.02 worth.
thanks philip
Catsclaw

Post by Catsclaw »

We had a Bowtech rep at the Bows and Does hunt this past weekend. She brought along a prototype of the Stryker. It is a most impressive looking xbow, but does have a few things one would want to consider before shelling out that kind of cash.

First off, the price....need I say more??

Second...this xbow is VERY HEAVY!!!!! I thought my Horton was heavy!!! If you pack a climbing stand, this xbow, and all your other gear very far, you BETTER be in good shape!!!!! You are going to need a rest for this xbow!! There is NO WAY a disabled shooter, like myself, or anyone who moved on to a xbow because of shoulder problems, will be able to hold this xbow up long enough for something to get in range.

Third.....and probably the most important...this xbow shoots 450fps!! The arrows on the market right now are not going to work with this xbow. They are to light!! Sooo....you'll need a heavier arrow, thus losing any real advantage of having a xbow that'll shoot 450fps.

I feel it only fair to point out something good about this xbow. It has a really cool hand grip thingy on it, so you CAN NOT chop off your fingers during discharge. This is not an issue for me, but it was a plus for the Stryker. :)
[url=http://www.thedisabledlife.com]www.thedisabledlife.com[/url]
I ain't hidin from nobody, Nobodys hidin from me!
Catsclaw

Post by Catsclaw »

Catsclaw wrote:We had a Bowtech rep at the Bows and Does hunt this past weekend. She brought along a prototype of the Stryker. It is a most impressive looking xbow, but does have a few things one would want to consider before shelling out that kind of cash.

First off, the price....need I say more??

Second...this xbow is VERY HEAVY!!!!! I thought my Horton was heavy!!! If you pack a climbing stand, this xbow, and all your other gear very far, you BETTER be in good shape!!!!! You are going to need a rest for this xbow!! There is NO WAY a disabled shooter, like myself, or anyone who moved on to a xbow because of shoulder problems, will be able to hold this xbow up long enough for something to get in range.

Third.....and probably the most important...this xbow shoots 450fps!! The arrows on the market right now are not going to work with this xbow. They are to light!! Sooo....you'll need a heavier arrow, thus losing any real advantage of having a xbow that'll shoot 450fps.

I feel it only fair to point out something good about this xbow. It has a really cool hand grip thingy on it, so you CAN NOT chop off your fingers during discharge. This is not an issue for me, but it was a plus for the Stryker. :)

I TOTALLY forgot to mention the internal cocking system built inside the xbow. If it breaks, I'm pretty sure you'll own a $1600 paper weight.
[url=http://www.thedisabledlife.com]www.thedisabledlife.com[/url]
I ain't hidin from nobody, Nobodys hidin from me!