Spitfires

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Spitfires

Post by crazyfarmer »

who uses them on here? I bought some today since I havent been grouping my slick tricks to well at 30yards anymore. I dunno why, but I can only get 3-4inch groups at 30 from a rest. 20 yards they are dead on each other... My fieldpoints nail each other at 30 all day long but the bheads arent doing that. I havent tried a 40yard shot and really dont want to LOL. So anyway, I switched to a mechanical today. I havent shot one yet, but do they really fly that well? I know 30bucks for 3 heads kinda suks!!!

They seem like a very good peice though! Nothing cheaply made about them which is good since they must have gold in them.
but at 20-40yards are they pretty close to field tips and how does the hole size look in a deer also?
Tom

Post by Tom »

CrazyFarmer they fly exactly like the practice tips. Get yourself the practice blades to insert into the heads. This will give your head the same profile and arrodynamics as your hunting head. You can shoot these practice heads all day long over and over again.

Now if your using other practice tips, there will probually be a difference in the hitting accuracy between them. But with the practice blades with my spitfires (same with my dad) they hit exactly the same spot. Also do not take my word for it, test for yourself. Once you see this for yourself, then your confidance in your hunting setup will increase and you will become a better shooter.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I have never shot them yet as my Slick Tricks shoot well but a friend shoots them out of a Ten Point and really likes them.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thanks for the info.. its onyla week left here so ill probably wait untill next season and test the practice blades. I'll probably take a doe next week just to see though

Golden, my slicks shoot ok, but ok isnt good enough for me LOL. I get a few drifters that hit 2-3 inches to the right or left of the group. The fieldtips hit on top of each other shot after shot. I was hoping these spitfires would fly more like the field points
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've been very happy with the Spitfires. They fly exactly like field points. I put the practice blades in and use them instead of field points for all my target shooting. I just wish they weren't quite as expensive. I've had no problems with premature opening in my Exomax.

The entrance hole in the deer I've hit this year is about 3/4" in diameter. The exit hole is a huge 1.5" channel. None of the deer that I hit well made it out of sight. They also handle bones very well. My son's first deer was drilled low through the front leg/shoulder. It broke the front leg bone and passed through cleanly.

I would prefer to shoot a fixed blade. But unless it shoots as accurate as a field point, I'll just stick with the Spitfires. They do their job if I do mine.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

DuckHunt wrote:I've been very happy with the Spitfires. They fly exactly like field points. I put the practice blades in and use them instead of field points for all my target shooting. I just wish they weren't quite as expensive. I've had no problems with premature opening in my Exomax.

The entrance hole in the deer I've hit this year is about 3/4" in diameter. The exit hole is a huge 1.5" channel. None of the deer that I hit well made it out of sight. They also handle bones very well. My son's first deer was drilled low through the front leg/shoulder. It broke the front leg bone and passed through cleanly.

I would prefer to shoot a fixed blade. But unless it shoots as accurate as a field point, I'll just stick with the Spitfires. They do their job if I do mine.
thats what I wanted to hear.. i know everyone like them, but I wanted to make sure they few like fieldpoints. I didnt get any practice blades with mine.. ill order some next year though
Tom

Post by Tom »

CrazyFarmer when I stated above that there might be slight differences in the impact point between normal field points and the spitfires, it might have been a little misleading. The differences should not be greater then 1 inch. If your using the practice blades, the same hole should not be a problem at all if your capible of doing that accurate of shooting.

I know with my spitfires, if I miss ............ I have no excuse, it was my fault. But that is exactly as I want it, not a mechanical or tool error.

Good luck and enjoy your heads.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]