Up comming Shotgun, Riffle hunt...who else does it???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RyanB

Up comming Shotgun, Riffle hunt...who else does it???

Post by RyanB »

Hey all- Havn't had much luck yet with the X-bow this season (usually I focus on bow hunting after our controlled hunt) but am wondering who else here hunts with either shotgun or riffle here in ontario? This is really the first year I will be in the controlled hunt here in 87 (other years I applied and just didn't go out). I decieded to buy a new shotgun though this year and just picked up a Rem 870 Deer/Turkey combo...nice gun and comes with cantilever barrel and I decieded to put on a bushnel red-dot scope while I was at it! Tomorrow is sight in time!

Anyway, for those who hunt the gun hunts what do you all shoot???

RyanB
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Area 67 (Ontario) for me and hope to hear the Browning BAR 30-06 topped off with Leupold scope bark at Mr. Bucky. 8)

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm not from Ontario (visited Ottawa once!), but down here in North Carolina, I do it all:

Did it all, I mean! I no longer shoot vertical archery, but used to hunt with:

Purpleheart / hickory selfbow ... 55 lb.
Ferguson Redhawk Custom longbow ... 75 lb.
Bear Royal Safari longbow ... 55 lb.
Martin Hunter recurve ... 55 lb.
Bear Grizzly ... 40 lb.
Mathews Switchback ... 65 lb.

Current methods of pursuing whitetails:

Crossbow ... Excalibur Exomax
Shotgun ... Winchester 1300, slugs and buckshot
Handgun ... Smith & Wesson 629 Classic, .44 Mag
Rifle ... Ruger M77 Mark 1, .30-'06 Springfield
Flintlock muzzleloader ... custom .62 (20 gauge) fowling piece
Caplock muzzleloader ... H&A underhammer, .45 caliber
Modern muzzleloader ... Thompson Center Thunderhawk, .50 caliber

Man, if North Carolina had a spear season, I'd be out there chucking them!

I am an eclectic hunter. Love various methods and weapons.

I did run a wounded deer down and kill it with an Old Hickory butcher knife once ... does that count as a method?

Grizz
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'll be up north in WMU 54 from November 10th till 18th hunting deer and bear with my .30-06.
Last edited by TYE on Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I'll be going to camp "Yahoo" the second week, located in area 47, i'll be taking my Ruger Mark II compact .308 with me :lol:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Area 84 Rifle hunt every year would never miss it.....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Rifle hunt in WMU 49 with either a Model 94 30-30 or a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. Hunt the controlled hunt on WMU 80 with either a 12ga. Browning BPS or a Thompson/Center .54 cal. Hawken muzzle loader.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I will be hunting the controlled shotgun season in zone 76C. Our gang has been together for about 5 years we hunt on private property, about 4000 acres of it!! Got the Remington 870 fully riffled ready to do its thing. Just have to brace my shoulder for the impact of that cannon! (HOPEFULLY!) :) :!:
MADMAX2

Gun Hunt

Post by MADMAX2 »

I will be hunting 67 with my savage 99 in 300 cal,for the first week of nov,then hunt with my fully rifled 870 in 89b in the controlled hunt .Good hunting to all!!
Fox

Post by Fox »

Somehow getting tuesday afternoon through saturday this year, heading to 63A, I got one with the bow last year, now to get one with the rifle.
duber

Post by duber »

I will be heading to WMU 61 on Saturday for a week in the camp for the rifle hunt.I shoot a Savage model 99 of the .308 variety with just iron sights.Good luck to all!
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

getting the old stevens ready for next wk.91a.then awk later off to manitoulan with the rifle,good luckeveryone.been a good fall so far,1 bear,1coyote,4 deer all with the old vixen.
swiftfox

where do you hunt

Post by swiftfox »

I will be hunting area 85 controlled hunt as usual. Myself and the boys will be there. Unfortunately it will not be the same this year. after 25 years we will be burying our buddy this Thursday. I am sure hunt camp will be somewhat subdued this year but I know we will have one He double hockey sticks of a wake. We were more like brother and sister than hunting buddys. We'll all miss you Art. I use an auto 5, have since l977.
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I only hunt with my crossbow. Gave up gun hunting quite a while back. I go on an archaeology dig in KY during the first IL shotgun season. No dead deer, but usually a dead Indian or two. :shock:
Iglooman

87D

Post by Iglooman »

Hi - I usually hunt in WMU 87D - this year I may be only watching since I used up both my tags in WMU 88 using my excalibur crossbow. However, I usually take them with SSG Buck Shot using my dad's old Over/Under Franchi when I hunt in 87D during shotgun season.

Good luck!
Exomag