Sugestions for neighboring hunter!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mighty Mooser

Sugestions for neighboring hunter!

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I had a run in last gun season with a hunter on a neighbors property, who did not know where the property lines were. I suggested he better get off our property, as he was very bold to drive his atv under my stand, to get to his watch. I call him the atv hunter, as he will drive to his watch an hour after daybreak and sit there. Last year he was sporadic in when he came, this year he is there all week, and apparently is making a trail 30 yards behind my treestand, so he is not trespassing, but he still only goes 40 yards past me to sit on a good run. I have worked hard over the years to pattern the deer in this spot, and 1 out of 4 will cross that location, either from the property he is hunting or out of the property I am hunting. I don't want to make waves with the owner of the adjacent property, but he seems to let anyone hunt. This ATV hunter is just (slow on the uptake) and doesn't have any courtesy. When I found out he is on watch 40 yards from my stand I was livid, and not to mention he drives to his watch well after sunrise spooking any deer coming to my call.

Any sugestions in dealing with such a (moron)?
I have grappeled with a few ideas which have worked well in past years in other spots, but nothing 40 yards from my stand.
1. Manequin in a ground blind 20 yards on our property directly in front of him, but it might screw up deer patterning set up a trail cam to catch him trespassing near the ground blind. 2. I was going to shoot only bucks this year, but if the deer is coming out of our property going to him, I have advised my gang I am shooting it right in front of the (prick).

I realize what he is doing is technically legal, however it is not very courteous since I have permission on a 100 acres, he has permission on 400 acres and he chooses to sit 40 yards from me, as the deer are coming to feed on our property.

This property also has no Sunday gun hunting, and I do not think he is smart enough to know this. I might just have to go back on Sunday with the e-mag and my Friend OPP.
If he chooses to hunt this close to me, I will guarantee he will not see anything alive crossing in front of him, and he will have ruined his whole week of vacation.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
ch312

Re: Sugestions for neighboring hunter!

Post by ch312 »

Mighty Mooser wrote: If he chooses to hunt this close to me, I will guarantee he will not see anything alive crossing in front of him, and he will have ruined his whole week of vacation.
give your head a shake man :roll: you are acting like you own both properties. he has permission to hunt on the other land so legally you cannot interfere with his hunting.

what makes you think that you have first dibs on that area? big deal if he has 300more acres to hunt, maybe thats the best spot and thats why you are there too? sounds to me like you are upset that someone may shoot the big buck you are after....i hope he does too :wink:

why not be mature and talk to the guy and maybe work something out so you guys can hunt alternate days instead of being a selfish idiot and suggesting that you are going to ruin his hunts.

btw...whats it matter wen he arrives at his stand? he isnt breaking any laws by arriving 1hour after daylight.

its probly best for you to just move your stand location. just because you have been patterning the deer in that area doesnt give you rights to the whole area. 2 words for ya....too bad :wink:
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

Nothing worse then going to your stand in a bad mood. It ruins the whole experience. I would talk to him with respect as a fellow hunter who only wants the same thing that you do, but if you can not come to an agreement with this guy ( Some people can be idiots) I would move my stand. I hunt in a club with 25 hunters and sometimes people get to close to each other (200yd rule) and most times the guy that had to move winds up bagging a real trophy and the guy that made him move winds up with nothing. So keep a cool head and enjoy the outdoors. It is not the end of the world to move, granted it my be a pain in the arse, but you may come out on top.
Riggs
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i'd just talk with the guy.. if he's not breaking the law, then its nothing much u can do

if you end up shooting nice buck and he drops on his land, then he isnt going to let you look for it.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The hunt is too short to make this an issue. There has to be another good spot on your 100 acres to hunt. Wouldn't be worth making an enemy . . .regardless of where he lives. You never know when you might need this guy's help. It's legal to cross bountries to track a wounded animal, right? Anyway, you never know how someone is going to react, choose your battles wisely. You get this guy mad and he may set up a sound system out there that would wake the dead . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
A.W

Post by A.W »

Maybe you could move your stand to another location. This way there is no conflict. Since he comes into his stand late this may be an opportunity to use him for "dogging" he may just push a deer your way.
Last edited by A.W on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
TYE

Post by TYE »

A.W wrote:Maybe you could move your stand top another location. This way there is no conflict. Since he comes into his stand late this may be an opportunity to use him for "dogging" he may just push a deer your way.
Good idea. :)
buckeye

Re: Sugestions for neighboring hunter!

Post by buckeye »

Mighty Mooser wrote: I don't want to make waves with the owner of the adjacent property, but he seems to let anyone hunt.
Ask this land owner permisson to hunt yourself and add 400 yards to your allready 100 acres. this way you have plenty of area to keep away from this guy.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I feel for you Mooser. I have had similar problems before and unfortunately their is nothing you can do legaly. I was raised to believe that first come first served was the rule. I would talk to him and try to make that deal. If he comes in and you are there then he leaves but if you come in and he's there then you leave. Make sure he knows about the safety issues concerning two people hunting so close together especialy with guns. If he refuses to play nicely then I would go to the landowner and tell him of this guys behavior and the dangers of hunting so close together. Then I would tell him that he, the landowner could be held liable in most states for the actions of others that he lets onto his land. If that doesn't work then I say move your stand for good or leave whenever the guy shows up.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I have calmed a bit, My stand overlooks 25 acres of apples, this is a funnel area at one corner where the come from the other property, and our property. I have tried talking to him, and it is like talking to a wall.
He probably doesn't see many deer with the way he hunts, but he does no to sit where all the tracks are, however he has never patterned times of day in this spot. Also I tried telling him that the deer if standing on the trail in front of his watch are on our property, but this does not seem to matter, and he sits 10 yards off the trail on his 4 wheeler on the other property. I usually use courtesy if such things have happened in the past, however this is too good a spot to leave unsat. I talked it over with some of the gang members, and asked for sugestions from all of you. One of the gang members suggested we let him take the first deer that crosses ( I think he will take the first one as he doesn't strike me as a trophy hunter) This will likely happen opening morning, then he is tagged out and out of our hair. I'm sorry I sounded so bitter, but I get frustrated , but spotting him a deer may be the answer rather than shooting everything.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

Way to go Moose. Let's have some fun
Riggs
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Optimum medicamentum quies est.

Grizzum Adamicum