First day out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CRASHCOSBO

First day out

Post by CRASHCOSBO »

Well I finally got to go out in the bush yesterday for the first time this year I've been so busy with family stuff and My other passion (demolition derby) that I never had a chance to get out. Got to the stand at about 3pm and it sounded as if a heard of chickadees and moles were having a convention in the forrest for about the first 45 mins or so. Then I heard some movment off to my left closer to where one of the other guys in my group was in a treestand. I guess the deer must have winded him because it spent the next half hour standing in the bush wheezing and stomping every minute or so, very cool to hear and I kinda chuckled to myself sitting there listening to it. The wind was in my favor so I stayed really quiet and hoped it might stroll by me on its way down one of the trails that went by my treestand. Sure enough after it quit wheezing at my partner I could hear it making its way towards me very slowly unfortunatly the daylight was fading fast so I was worried it might not poke its head out before it was to dark to shoot. After a very tense few minutes of hearing it walking it finally poked its head out of the bush about 50 yards directly in front of me...and started walking right towards me in a straight line. I made up my mind at that point with daylight fading as it was that unless I had a perfect broadside shot at a decent distance I would just let it walk.. well he walked right at me within 25 yards and almost on cue turned broadside to me (thank you hunting gods!). I lined up with my brand new pheonix and took aim right behind the front shoulder squeezed the trigger and....was reminded very quickly that I had not taken the safety off D'oh!!!!...Luckily he didnt hear me cursing in my head and I got a clean shot away on him. He ran off with his tail down and I heard him crash into the slash about 100 yrds to my left. After waiting 15 mins or so I got down from my stand and checked for my arrow it was in the ground right where I had shot at him and covered in nice red blood. I went and rounded up the other guys from my group and by that point it was dark. We tried unsucsecfully to find the deer in the dark but after going back and gettin a few flashlights we found him in about 15 minutes.... A nice 6 pointer with a small rack but a very full body..Good eating...So all in all a great first trip out with my new Pheonix and my new hunting knife..they both got blessed on thier first trip to the bush... sorry about the long winded story but I'm still pretty wound up and thought I would share.....pictures to follow shortly
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congratulations! Nice first day out. Hopefully, I will have the same luck tomorrow on my first day out.

Post those pics!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Congrats - got my first xbow buck this past weekend - a little 6pt. He's going to be good eating and a real trophy to me. Glad to hear you had some great success on the first day out.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
shawn_b

Post by shawn_b »

cool got by first deer ever with xbow about 3 weeks ago nice little 8 pointer
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats!!! :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.