what to do with deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cubb

what to do with deer

Post by cubb »

Hey guys, Just what would be the easiest way to process a deer that has been frozen. I know now that it was a very bad idea, i didn't know what to do with it and i took advice from someone who thought they knew. This deer hung for about a day, then it got too warm for it too be out, so we skinned it cut it's head and legs off, and put it in garbage bags and froze the whole thing???? really bad idea, now it's cut in half, and i need to butcher the rest of it.????? what to do. Now i've learned what not to do. Any help would be great thanks.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

If you can get the front shoulders thawed down and your meat isn't frostbitten I would say you could use the biggest cut on the front shoulder for a roast in the crock pot.Thats one of my favorite cuts;add some brown sugar rub to the roast and a little maple syrup in the broth and the veggies pick up a candied flavor.The rest of the front could make some jerky or grind for chili. :wink:

The rest could getting trickier as I'm picking up you don't want to re-freeze.I don't know anything about that part of your situation.

I guess with the back quarters you could throw a steak fry and make some new friends :lol:
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

why not bone it out when it thaws and take it to someone to may pepperettes or summer sausage?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

hockeyfodder wrote:why not bone it out when it thaws and take it to someone to may pepperettes or summer sausage?
Ayep best bet fer sure. You do not want to refreeze it until its been cooked up.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Fox

Post by Fox »

You could cut it while frozen, use a saw and giver. If you do not let it fully thaw, cut it and refreeze you should be ok too.
cubb

Post by cubb »

i was going to try and cut it up while it was still frozen, i'm going to try a band saw? hopefully that works, what a pain in the but though, not the right way to do it that's for sure. can i take the silver skin off before i cook the meat? or should it be taken off right away? thanks for your help.
frisky

Post by frisky »

I used to cut mine frozen with my Sears wood cutting bandsaw. When done, I took the saw outside and washed it out with the garden hose. I used the leaf blower to dry it . I now bone out all my vension.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
cubb

Post by cubb »

that's what i was thinking of doing? cutting it up when frozen then when it's ready to cook, take the bones out then?
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Deboning and processing it all before freezing is the best method, however since it's frozen you can use a table saw to cut it into steaks and stewing pieces. Of course you'll have to remove the silver skin before cooking it.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I would thaw it out cut it up and refreeze, i have been doing this for years
it doesn't hurt the meat if you don't leave it thawed long.
Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
BOB VANDRISH

what to do with the deer

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I have always let my deer hang for as much as two weeks in my garage,weather permitting,before I skin them out and debone them.
Somewhere along the way,we have had some substantial freezing before we could get the job done.
I have never found that frozen or partly frozen venison,rethawed,tastes any different than one not exposed to freezing.
My theory is that this normal aging process of letting it hang at slightly above freezing conditions(without the freezing part),tenderizes the meat.
In fact,if you get it just right,it comes out tasting like a well aged filet mignon.
I always found that any deer cut with a band saw can leave tallow or bone dust on the meat that I do not like to see.
Since I prefer to debone my deer,that tells you what my choice would be.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
cubb

Post by cubb »

well since you guys say it doesn't change the taste of the meat when you refreeze it, then maybe that's what i'll do, since it seems to me that it's alot easier to butcher it when it's not frozen. Then you get all the meat off you can. I was just told that it's not good to refreeze after being frozen for awhile? Thanks for suggestions guys
A.W

Post by A.W »

Don't totally defrost the meat.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
cubb

Post by cubb »

oh ok, So just defrost it enough to beable to cut it off the bone? and make it possible to get the silver skin off?
cubb

Post by cubb »

one other question, there was a dollar sized growth on the chest of the deer, it stuck out a bit, but it just seemed to be like a wart, it was just skin it seemed? any thoughts?