Sharing hunting property

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Sharing hunting property

Post by TPM »

Last week, on the opening day of shotgun season, another hunter appraoched the land owner of the farm I was hunting while I was hunting there. Apparently this guy hunted there years ago and wanted to know if he could come back. The farmer told him no as he already had some one hunting the property. When I heard about this I told the farmer it really wouldn't be a problem for me to share this property provided we get together and come up with a plan (who hunts where and when etc.). The farmer said he only wants one person back there and that's fine.
I know my wife has had quite a different experience on the farm she hunts. Some guy showed up last year and just started doing whatever he wants where ever he wants. He made no attempt to talk to her about where on the farm she's hunting or when. He just started ripping around the the bush on his ATV setting up feeders and trail cameras. This year he came back again and took over one her best hunting spots and at least once has gone tearing past her with his ATV while she was in her blind. I don't know this guy, neither of us has ever actually met him and he's made no effort to introduce himself.
Oh well, we're not the kind of people to stir the pot so hopefully this guy gets his deer soon and leaves. As for my wife, she'll just continue hunting. She's moved her set-up as all the paraphenalia this guy has in the bush has changed the deers patterns but I don't think he's picked up on this yet.
Anyone else have any similar experiences????
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

That sucks. I feel for your wife. Get her to join this board - I don't see any women posting here!

Jodi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Someone like that can actually help you out sometimes. Last year my Grandfather came looking for me. He was yelling and blowing the truck horn. I was over the next ridge and it was windy . . .I didn't hear him. Anyway, he pushed two large does over to me.

However, my cousin has allowed a friend of his to hunt on the family property . . .I was headed to my spot and found him watching 4 does and a good sized buck in a clearing. I couldn't shoot with him between us. He had his rifle, asked him why he didn't shoot the buck and he said he didn't have time to take care of it . . .well, why the heck was he out there????? I'll tell you why . . .messing up my hunt. Had a talk with my cousin . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Dear TPM,

I can't say that I have had anything exactly like that happen to me, but over the years I have had more than my share of turkey decoys shot out from under me by fence-jumpers and other trespassers. Luckily, none of those incidents ever amounted to more than a good peppering.

You and your wife sound like very ethical and conscientious hunters. While I appreciate you not wanting to elevate the matter to a confrontation, from a safety standpoint you ought to at least let the other guy know there's a second hunter out there. That could be your segue into finding out whether he has permission to hunt the property. From there you could decide how much further you wanted to push the issue without locking yourself into a knock-down, drag-out fight. And who knows? The guy might be perfectly reasonable and apologetic about messing up your wife's hunting. I know I'd feel awful if I did that to somebody and they never brought it to my attention. I would feel even worse if I accidentally shot someone.

I know that this is unsolicited advice, but it would be awful to hear of this turning into another hunting accident story.

Kindest regards,

The Savage Vervet
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I think that's fine advice Savage ...