carrying your bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crunch

carrying your bow

Post by Crunch »

I was wondering how you all carry your bows? Is there an easy way to sling them? I've only experience with a buddy's Exomax. Seemed a bit awkward in the thicker stuff. I remember thinking a sling might work for longer carrys.

crunch
frisky

Post by frisky »

I use the sling in the open going to the stand. In the woods I turn the bow 90 degrees with the sight in front of me carring it with my left hand. seems to work alright , but it is heavy.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a Dan Miller quiver bracket and carry mine with a sling. After a few years of tromping around the hills with it you learn where you can't easily go. :lol:
If I get in really heavy brush I carry it in my hands in front of me, with the limbs vertical.
wabi
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

In open areas I carry it with the sling. Brush areas carry it in front with both hands. I was a little leary carrying it cocked with the sling, but make sure not to have any body parts in the line of fire or moving parts just in case.
Why ride when you can walk!
dsr

Post by dsr »

Groundpounder
Do not carry a loaded bow in a sling on your back.The old guy on the farm next to mine made a sling for his Excal from a length of bail string.I hear that he totes it around cocked and loaded. I shudder to think about it. He'll be found some day with an arrow through his skull and bow hunters will be seen as a careless bunch.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

http://www.northcentralohio.com/newsboa ... tory=25542

Never, and I mean NEVER, carry your xbow loaded on your back. This terrible accdident tells you why - apparently carrying the xbow loaded on his back.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
dsr

Post by dsr »

See Woody Williams post of Fri. NOV 17 "Crossbow hunter killed with own bow". Fits right into this discussion. DO NOT CARRY A LOADED COCKED CROSSBOW WITH AN OVER THE SHOULDER SLING. Yep. I know capital letters is yelling but I've been known to yell before about stupidity and a few other times too.
Best of safe hunting to all.

chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

If I'm just walking with my bow (to and from stand/vehicle) I put it over my shoulder, uncocked, and hold onto the limb that faces down.

If I am walking through the woods I will either carry the bow, cocked and loaded, with both hands in the ready position or I will have the buttstock tucked under my arm with the limbs positioned vertically. The latter, I find, is the most comfortable way to carry the bow and move through the woods.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Tom

Post by Tom »

chris4570 wrote:............
If I am walking through the woods I will either carry the bow, cocked and loaded, with both hands in the ready position or I will have the buttstock tucked under my arm with the limbs positioned vertically. The latter, I find, is the most comfortable way to carry the bow and move through the woods.
I use the methods that Chris mentioned. The "Easy Carry" with the butt under the armpit and the stock in the crock of the arm, with the limb in the vertical position, I find it to be the most comfortable and easy to move through the bush. I also use my hand from the arm holding the bow to grip the mounting bracket (I have the Relayer, a little different then todays model) for the quiver.

Good luck all and be safe.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

This is why we read the forum, good information. Note taken and will follow the good advise of others.
Why ride when you can walk!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There's a guy from Wi that advertises in HBM for a "Carry At the Ready" xbow sling. It does what he claims rather well, if your terrain will allow you to use it. I have one and am well pleased w/ it, however, there are areas in my locale where it's not quite so functional. It would work real well carrying one cocked and loaded if your terrain will co-operate. The xbow is in front of you, about waist high, and the sling stays outta the way when you raise the bow to the shooting position.
"Eze 18:21"
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

I put a sling on my crossbow this season, after getting tired of carrying the ungainly beast by hand all these years. Should have done this sooner! Buy one of those neoprene foam rubber slings with the non-slip surface (you can get them at Walmart for $10-15). I'll attach a photo of how I did mine. If you have the standard plastic stock, drill a hole in the upper rear corner of it for the cord. The key point is to get the attachment point as far to the top of the stock as possible, because the crossbow is so top heavy. When I carry it, I hold the bow vertical at my side, the way it's hanging in the photo. I can get through pretty thick woods that way with little difficulty.
dsr

Post by dsr »

nchunter

You've got me thinking :shock: :D and I think I'll try a version of your strap. :D It doesn't look like you've drilled any holes in your stock. I'll try it without drilling at first and if I like the sling I'll drill if necessary. Thanks for an interesting idea 8) .

TYE

Post by TYE »

I just carry mine with a normal rifle sling.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

In it's bag with my jacket stuffed in, or depending on the weather I stared using a sling, the only time I have it cocked is when I am stocking or in my spot. I don't even cary it cocked in a sling without a bolt, I figure to have a dry fire in the back of the head would do damage enough.