Crossbows need a stupid sign (Do not operate Cell Phones)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

axis

Post by axis »

Just think. You wont be the first to do it and, you wont be the last to do it. :oops: OUCH................
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

I have done the same thing with my exomax, it was real hard to keep holding it back and I didnt think I could hold much longer, but I caught it in time and wife was there so I told her grab the arrow and slide it off the rail. I had a nice broadhead cut in the toe of my boot, it was very close to coming in contact with my toe. I think I remember hearing about this happening to someone on here, and I just quivered at the thoughts of it and it happened to me, about a week later.
Daniele

uncocking xBow

Post by Daniele »

WOW, that was close, glad you made off sort of ok; need new boots too i bet.

We've talked about this before at nausea, however i would really like to remind everyone that doesn't already do so ( First option should be discharge into DEER VITALS ) to carry a spare field tipped bolt and discharge into the ground, safe and easy; it may be harder to do in minus 0 degrees temps, but you can always discharge into a cube or rag target kept in vehicle.
Possibly not everyone drives a truck to go hunting with but that is still the safest way to discharge your XBOW.
My 2 cents worth.
Daniele.
Good hunting, be safe.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

When I watched the uncocking part of the instructional DVD . . .I wondered if anyone would forget to take the bolt out(as the instructor warned) . . .guess my question is answered. "Things can get interesting in a hurry", right?

Another marketing opportunity! THE TOE SHIELD . . .coming to a Walmart near you . . .

I restrung my MAX the other day and noticed I left the safety off while stringing(using the stringing device). That was stupid too . . .fortunately, I didn't accidentially hit the trigger while feeding the new string into position.

Distractions=bad
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

What if???? Just wondering what would happen if you had a steel toe and it turned the bolt into say your ankle? Steel toes may not be the perfect answer after all. I just wonder if it had the full power behind it, if you would have been pinned to the ground? The mental pictures I'm getting from all this conjecture sucks!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

So glad to hear it wasn't worse! Hope you heal quickly and are back out in the woods in no time!

Jodi
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

AirForceVet wrote:
ecoaster wrote:
Did your wife feel bad??? :oops:
no just itched at me even more for being stupid..

but you have a point about the bolt/bootissue, say even if one to say were to shoot a 22 inch bolt --wonder what that would do for this and for accuracy?

or even a saftey shield that would be moved foward to dislodge the bolt if a foot goes into stirrup.....hmmm.[/quote

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SAFETY TOE BOOTS!!!

:D :D :D

I wasn't going to make any wisecracks, but there is a limit to my self control.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
A.W

Post by A.W »

There were 2 or 3 pics. going around a couple of years ago that showed a young guy with a Vbow arrow sticking out the back of his head.

One of the pics showed the piece of skull they had to cut out to remove the BH.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
dsr

Post by dsr »

Hope that you didn't have your new and best hunting boots on because now one of them leaks. :( I guess those new commercials from the Workmen's Comp Bd. have some truth in them--Accidents don't happen !--but carelessness does. :? I always let my bow down by hand not with the cocking aid. Pehaps that may have saved you an injury if you saw what was happening in time. 8)
Put a nice,noticeable patch on the toe of that boot to remind you not to be distracted again!!!! :shock:
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
AirForceVet

Post by AirForceVet »

ranger66 wrote:I have done the same thing with my exomax, it was real hard to keep holding it back and I didnt think I could hold much longer, but I caught it in time and wife was there so I told her grab the arrow and slide it off the rail. I had a nice broadhead cut in the toe of my boot, it was very close to coming in contact with my toe. I think I remember hearing about this happening to someone on here, and I just quivered at the thoughts of it and it happened to me, about a week later.
my problem was it was caught in my foot and boot and could not slide bolt out as it was in rail with tension on it, and in the foot,, I'M JUST GLAD I CAME ABOUT IN TIME TO NOT FREAKout and let he handle loose on the cocking rope. I was imaging the thought of pulling it out of the ground and hoping into to ER with my foot in still in bow.

when i got home to explain to my father what i did, i showed him the excalibur video and there it was BILL saying remember to remove the bolt or things will get exciting very fast. boy did it ever. :oops:
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/wvromania/OCT06.jpg[/img]
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I had a close call, as well. Fortunately my boot was big enough and the arrow long enough to give me a warning before pierced my foot.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"