Crossbows need a stupid sign (Do not operate Cell Phones)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AirForceVet

Crossbows need a stupid sign (Do not operate Cell Phones)

Post by AirForceVet »

OK i've been out of pocket lately, and not posted but I had to so everone here will get a good laugh. I feel like a IDIOT!!

After coming of woods, my cell phone rang at truck, I answered it and it was the boss at home fussing about me being in the woods all morning.

I continued to listen to her animated talk, while proceeding to uncock my exomax, I had boots on (not steel toes), maybe they would be a good suggestion.

I had my rope cocker loaded on bow and held phone to left ear with shoulder. Thank GOD i had a good grip on the right side handle of cocker, as I soon I pulled the trigger, i realized .....

:oops: I FORGOT TO TAKE BOLT OUT OF BOW..... :oops:

the wasp do cut good,,,,cut boot, and stopped at bone, thank god i didn't let go of rope handle in right hand, and my step dad was there to help me repull it from the right side .......

didn't know if i should post the pictures or not ., boy I coulld have lost a toe today... i have a "x" from the tip of the wasp right under my middle tow.....SO FRIGG'IN STUPID....

my neighbor, called me BARNEY FIFE and told me i could only have one arrow for now on and could not load it without his permission.

picture is kinda blurry ...... the round beveled tip of the wasp went in to the bone. Image

Guess I'd better change my user name and AV to: Image
Last edited by AirForceVet on Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m110/wvromania/OCT06.jpg[/img]
A.W

Post by A.W »

You're not alone. Somebody posted a"bolt in the boot" situation a couple of years ago.

Glad you're okay though.

Post the pics. They may make somebody think twice in the future.

Any damage to the broadhead? (couldn't resist)
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I managed to shove a broadhead half way through the palm of my hand this last January - ended my recurve hunting days, severing multiple tendons and did not get full recovery. (Only good thing to come of it was an introduction to the xbow) Them BH's are STUPID sharp and it is REALLY easy to get too comfortable around them. Hope you enjoy a full recovery and that others take note as well.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Normous

Post by Normous »

OUCH :oops: :cry:
Sorry to hear that.
Lets hope you become *SAFER* after this accident...very important :!: :!:

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
A.W

Post by A.W »

I had a situation one day.

A bunch of us went 3D shooting one day and I was cocking my bow. My foot was not in the stirrup fully and I could feel it starting to slip. Fortunately one of the guys grabbed it and prevented me from getting one or two broken ribs.

It's easy to stop thinking.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

(Let he who has never done something stupid cast the first wisecrack!!)
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I like that Hi5.............ok confession here....I did that almost......I put my rope cocker on the string grabbed both T handles of cocking aid and pulled trigger..I was about to let it down when I saw the arrow still in the xbow....OH S___T..I never let it go so I just pulled back and cocked it again..that was close one for sure.....

hope your foot heals up fine.....Im sure more have done that than you think...

dont feel so bad just remmeber and learn like i did...I never forget now!
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
huntman

Post by huntman »

YIKES!!!! Cant say thats ever happened to me but im one that get distracted by my cell phone as well. Thanks for the warning. Hope you get better quick and get back out there.... best of luck!!!!
AirForceVet

Post by AirForceVet »

thanks for not being so hard on me...picture added above...one thing I"ll ever answer the phone again until i'm in the uncocked position. my mind just zoned out taking the bolt out. I could have lost the whole toe or 3.
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

Thats frightening but let it be a warning to us all. It only takes one wrong step to have an accident which could have deadly consequences. Thanks for the story & I hope your recovery is a quick one.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I guess this may be an issue with the guys who are shortening their bolts to just clear the riser. My hunting boots are bulky and there is no way to get my foot all the way into the stirrup without pushing the bolt with the front of my boot. I like that! I have heard horror stories about this. You were very lucky.

Did your wife feel bad??? :oops:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
AirForceVet

Post by AirForceVet »

ecoaster wrote:
Did your wife feel bad??? :oops:
no just itched at me even more for being stupid..

but you have a point about the bolt/bootissue, say even if one to say were to shoot a 22 inch bolt --wonder what that would do for this and for accuracy?

or even a saftey shield that would be moved foward to dislodge the bolt if a foot goes into stirrup.....hmmm.
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

i witnessed for the first time this year what the wasps are capable of doing, i have never seen a buck bleed out as quickly as the one i shot last week. it was an extra quiet,dry day in the woods and i saw and heard the blood pour onto the leaves at 20 yards...amazing!! GLAD YOUR OK BRO THE MISTAKE YOU MADE IS REALLY NOT HARD TO DO IF DISTRACTED--------steel
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I really wish you hadn't posted this. Every time I read some dumb *ss move one of us on the list pulls, I think, "Well that was dumb." and proceed to do the same or one better within a couple of weeks. Now thanks to you I'm going to have to go buy and wear steel toed boots and a steel lined jock. One or the other is bound to chafe.

Heal fast, I made need you to carry me out of the woods. :D

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
axis

Post by axis »

Just think. You wont be the first to do it and, you wont be the last to do it. :oops: OUCH................