Questions of camo for vixen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shurite44

Questions of camo for vixen

Post by shurite44 »

I just ordered my son (11 years old) a vixen. He really likes camo and it is deer hide brown. I know it is really no big deal but I really would like to camo this if it did not hinder performance.

I saw the camo snake skin kit, I think that may work nicely for the stock. Is there a way to camo the limbs that is practical. I also saw some camo tape that was for bow limbs, but not sure if it will work for this application.

Anyway any suggestions from someone that has done this would be appreciated.

Also for our ballistic gurus, what will the vixen shoot FPS with a 410 grain bolt? I have a quite a few new ten point carbons I would like to use. I am using a horton 4x32 and I was told the 10 yard x hairs equal 265 FPS. I hope it matches up nicely.

Thanks ahead of time for your advice. :)
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

No takers? I looked at the thread where the forum member painted his. That looked good, not sure I pack the talent for that. I was thinking the shrink wrap for the stock, maybe i would paint the limbs without messing them up.
sunset

adding camo

Post by sunset »

I just finished painting a shotgun in a camo pattern. I found some acrylic paints (artist supplies) at Walmart that were about a dollar each. They are flat colours with no gloss. With about 3 colours you should be able to blend and get enough variation. If the result is not what you like, let it dry and put more on top.
So far my paint job is holding up well but I'll know better though in 2 weeks.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I would think that the vixen would be shooting about the 255 / 260fps range.
Brampton Mike

Re: adding camo

Post by Brampton Mike »

sunset wrote:I just finished painting a shotgun in a camo pattern. I found some acrylic paints (artist supplies) at Walmart that were about a dollar each. They are flat colours with no gloss. With about 3 colours you should be able to blend and get enough variation. If the result is not what you like, let it dry and put more on top.

:lol: :lol: Let's see some pics of yoru camo job! Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
JRS

Post by JRS »

As for your bow speed, the Vixen is rated for 285 fps with a 360 grain GTII. The general formula used to calculate a speed change because of arrow weight is 1 fps change in speed for every 5-6 grains of weight change. Therefore, since your arrow weight has increased by 50 grains, divide this by 5, and you end up with 10, which means a speed reduction of 10 fps from the initial rating of 285. You should be shooting at about 275 fps with this arrow. This is by no means written in stone. The only way to know for certain is to chronograph your bow, but this gives you a good ballpark idea.
TYE

Re: adding camo

Post by TYE »

sunset wrote:I just finished painting a shotgun in a camo pattern. I found some acrylic paints (artist supplies) at Walmart that were about a dollar each. They are flat colours with no gloss. With about 3 colours you should be able to blend and get enough variation. If the result is not what you like, let it dry and put more on top.
Try coating it with a clear coat, might make it last a little longer?
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

JRS thank you so much for the FPS info. I think it should work out good with the horton scope.

I read the reviews on the Cabella page about the shrink wrap and it was not very favorable. I know the way I hunt and will teach my boy it would not hold up to the use.

I am probably going to paint it. Not sure yet, I am going to try to feel him out a little about camo or brown without letting the surprise out of the bag. If he is hard over about camo I will paint it. I usually do better at craft stuff than I give myself credit for, so hopefully it will turn out good. I will post a pic when I am done.

So I am thinking four colors with a satin clear coat. I am going for a hardwood forest type design.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Shurite what about offering to swap with someone that does not want or need the camo stock if your son is that stuck on a camo bow. The stocks are al basicly the same. You might be able to come up with something that he will like.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

shurite44 where ya be at ?
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

That is a good idea. Not sure if I can find someone that will do that but it would be nice. I guess the limbs would be the same also.

I am from North Central Ohio. I live in Shiloh, little town just north of Mansfield.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I am in Vermilion, Oh. maybe we can get to gether and I may beable to fix you up with a airbrush job if you do not need nothing extravagant.

Going back on the road in a couple weeks so would be this spring before I could help ya!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Thanks Gary but I sort of want it ready for Christmas. I may just try to paint this myself. I think I can do it. We will see, at the worst I could have it painted over if I mess up.
BUCKSHOT

Humm!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

To go along with what Tom said, there are many fella's whom have put nice wooden stocks on their bows and may never need their original stocks again! How about trying a feeler on the trading post and maybe buy one!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Good morning , Answer to the one question is do not tape the limbs we did that once and got really bad groupings . The tape just doesn`t stretch the same but as for the painting I used to use your everyday run of the mill flat black rust paint from your local hardware store . As for a pattern we used to use cedar boughs then creatively open up the pattern on the boughs with clippers . Ask Gary L how the old pattern looked or maybe look at a previous post of his with the old wolverine .