Stand 10 yards from trail??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tigerpaw

Stand 10 yards from trail??

Post by Tigerpaw »

How many of you have stands you take deer from that are 10 yards or less from a deer trail.

I have never liked beening that close because of the sent left at the tree base. But........ I have a place with great sign with the only tree I can use my climmer on 10yrs from the trails. The tree is good for at least a 20 ft. high rest but I have conserns.

Any advice?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Put the stand up and hunt! :wink:
Use any precautions you can for minimizing scent (rubber boots, etc.) but I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
wabi
kev

Post by kev »

some of mine are closer than 10yds. :wink:
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I've had or taken deer within ten yards of my stand. Like Wabi said, use rubber boots and hunt it.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Thats were i always end up putting my tree stands is off a good trail.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Last year I took a 7 pointer at 3 yards on Nov. 4 and this year on Nov. 6 I took a 3 point at 5 yards. Two different stands but the wind was right and it never lies. 16 inch rubber boots and camo tucked in the boots until I am in the stand.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

A lot of my stand sets are that close, I just make sure I climb at least 20 ft. You have a lot less of a chance of being seen being high and close than off the trail a ways and set up low.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

One other comment. The closer your stand to the trail the more difficult the shot angle. I was very fortunate on the 7 pointer as I took the top of his right lung and just barely hit the lower part of his left lung on the bottom. Easy blood trail as the exit point was so low. But it is much more difficult to double lung them. The advantage is they are hard to miss at that range so you are bound to hit vitals or major arteries.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Have taken many deer at 10 and in ... ON THE GROUND!

I've never owned or hunted from a tree stand yet, and my freezer hasn't run out of deer meat for 16 years.

Hunt that spot.
Grizz
fletch

Post by fletch »

The stand I got my 7 pointer from this year is 1 yd to the right of a heavy trail and all I did was put a tree across the trail. Looked like a blow down and now the deer just walk 5 yds from the base. I sit about 14 ft high and have had many bucks walk under me . 1 buck walked right up to the tree blocking his path and stood there for five minutes, he was so close I couldn't even shoot. Straight down 14 ft with braches between me and him. :roll:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

About 5 years ago I pre-selected a tree 20 yards off of a trail only to find out on a wet opening morning that it had a slight lean. The only other tree available was literally ON the trail. I climbed up it about 25 feet.

In my typical fashion after four hours of sitting I arrowed the first thing I saw. A nice doe walked right down the trail out of a thicket right in front of me. I didn't have a clear shot until it stopped right under my stand. It was about 1 step from my tree. I was shooting a 70# compound bow and had to hold the arrow on my rest with my finger to keep it from falling up. I'm not sure how I missed the spine with my top entry, but it was effective none the less. I did notice that it is very difficult to see your nock sticking in the ground when you are directly above it. :)

Hunt that tree.
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I would not worry about being 10 yards from the trail. I do it all the time, and just minimize my odor.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

I will be giving it a go!!

Let you know how things turn out.

Thanks
tracer

Post by tracer »

Suggest a tree stand in among conifer trees for concealment , do every thing you can to be scent free ,and be on the down wind side of the trail .I took a 10 point Buck Oct.6 from 10 yards with this type of setup . Good luck .
huntman

Post by huntman »

I too have a stand about ten yards from a trail and can say i have taken a buck from that stand, i would listen to what all the others have said about scent and wind direction and you will be fine. good luck i hope it works for you!!