String dampener????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

String dampener????

Post by sumner4991 »

OK . . .been working on this since the thread on deer jumping the string. I got the idea from another forum member. I set it up and have only shot maybe 40 bolts . . .not much of a test for me, but the other member has shot approx. a 1,000 shots with the set-up. I still have not adjusted the brace height, I just need to drill another hole in the bracket.

Anyway, when I first saw this, I really wanted to try it because I have had problems with my string hitting the riser and causing the string to wear. This set up corrects that issue, for sure. It also made my Exomax much quieter. Vibration from the string is almost gone. Now I notice the vibration from the stock . . .always something. Anyway, it's a much better "feel".

I used Sims Split Limbsavers(on sale at Walmart for $11), two 2 1/2 inch elbow brackets, 1/4 inch bolts, and rubber washers from Home Depot(less than $3). I used a hacksaw to cut one side of the brackets off and I drilled the holes to 1/4 inch. Put rubber washers between all metal.

Here is the picture from below . . .

Here is a picture from above . . .

I'm planning on putting camo tape on it and adjusting the brace height as soon as I can get out of my office! :lol: Anyone know of any issues with this? Everything I've experienced is positive. The forum member that gave it to me, got it from another member . . .so hopefully there are more test results out there.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TYE

Post by TYE »

Neat idea actually.

Only thing I think would be a problem is the bracket bending eventually, and also the string tearing the crap out of the limb savers.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Only concern I would have would be a slight change in brace height damaging your bracket or limb savers. Cool idea though!
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Tom

Post by Tom »

Sumner can see a few possible issues. Since your dampeners are prelimb (before the arrow releases off the string) it might effect preformance. If one is a little off parallel from the other (wear might also do this) it can cause your limb to have a little extra force on one side only. This will effect your accuracy. Also since it looks like the string will be stopped before it normally releases the arrow, you will lose speed. I believe this is why Excalibur went with the limb savers, it is after the arrow is released so does not effect speed like your method could.

In my opinion, quieting your bow is good, but not at any price of speed. Even if you were to make your bow 100% quiet, the deer will still be able to hear the arrow. You will never be able to quiet that part of the equation. For an example, if you have the ability to stand down range (behind a solid wall) have someone shoot your bow and listen. You will be surprised at the noise and the time it takes for the arrow to get there. I know that the first time a bow was shot (that I did not know exactly when it was being fired), I flenched then heard the arrow hit. That was at 30 yards with an exomag. You will also see that the arrow makes more noise then the bow being shot, even if your using veins over the feathers. Try that experiment if you can safetly do so.

Good luck
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Nice set up in theory and if adjusted proper should work. However if your string is hitting the riser you have a problem that needs corrected ASAP as that is something that means a bad fit of riser to rail. Will go back and re-read your post just in case I read it wrong.

A yep read it correct. You need to send that back to Excalibur for a proper match of rail to riser .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

I've had this system on my bow for more than 1000 shots.
I got the idea from crossbolt on this forum.
When I first installed it I bare shaft paper tested it out to 30 yards with no problems.
The simms pads are showing a bit of wear but they were 5 years old when I installed them. The brackets haven't bent yet - i just bent a piece of aluminium straping to try it and haven't felt the need to replace it.
It has no effect on speed - I set mine up to shoot the minimum brace height and with 350 gr bolts and a ff string I get a cronographed 308 with my phoenix.
The big advantage is that it reduces a whole lot of noise and vibration.
Combined with a custom wood stock and my setup is just about as quiet as a new compound that is shooting comparable speeds.
I think it improved my groups too - i can shoot consistant 6 inch groups at 70 yards bench rested with this system.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have only shot this set-up a few times at 30 yards in windy conditions. However, I didn't notice a difference in speed or accuracy, Maybe just too small at 30 yards to see. Anyway, here are my last three shots at thirty yards. What I mean by didn't see is, I didn't make any adjustments to my scope.

I'm planning on fine tuning it to where each limbsaver barely touches the string at the lower brace height.

These brackets will not bend. Wear on the limbsavers effecting accuracy might be an issue.

Speaking of accuracy. I use the rope cocker and if I strong arm one side, then it does throw off my shot by a small margin. Don't think you can just pull away at the rope cocker . . .it's a small amount, maybe a 1/2 inch at 30 yards, would be a big miss at longer yardage . . .

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TYE

Post by TYE »

Nice shooting :) I like the vane colours you have.

Looks like a dull orange and white on Gold Tip Laser 2's, right?
GaryL

Re: String dampener????

Post by GaryL »

sumner4991 wrote:OK . . .been working on this since the thread on deer jumping the string. I got the idea from another forum member. I set it up and have only shot maybe 40 bolts . . .not much of a test for me, but the other member has shot approx. a 1,000 shots with the set-up. I still have not adjusted the brace height, I just need to drill another hole in the bracket.

Anyway, when I first saw this, I really wanted to try it because I have had problems with my string hitting the riser and causing the string to wear. This set up corrects that issue, for sure. It also made my Exomax much quieter. Vibration from the string is almost gone. Now I notice the vibration from the stock . . .always something. Anyway, it's a much better "feel".

I used Sims Split Limbsavers(on sale at Walmart for $11), two 2 1/2 inch elbow brackets, 1/4 inch bolts, and rubber washers from Home Depot(less than $3). I used a hacksaw to cut one side of the brackets off and I drilled the holes to 1/4 inch. Put rubber washers between all metal.

Here is the picture from below . . .

Here is a picture from above . . .

I'm planning on putting camo tape on it and adjusting the brace height as soon as I can get out of my office! :lol: Anyone know of any issues with this? Everything I've experienced is positive. The forum member that gave it to me, got it from another member . . .so hopefully there are more test results out there.
sumner4991 can you please explain what you mean by "I have had problems with my string hitting the riser and causing the string to wear. " You have me lost on that statement :!:

Your set up has very much to offer in quiting down the system no question on that and even better you state so far no noticable loss of speed and I sure like that.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

GaryL,
The string on an excal always crosses over onto the riser & hits the strike plate built into the riser (even on my phoenix). The action contributies alot to the smack sound and the slight forward kick of a crossbow. Excals are so acurate because the working recurve portion of the limb directs alot of the force outward not forward however if you want to test the theory draw a line on your riser with a marker and then shoot a few bolts - you can see were the string wears off the marker. With the string stop system the energy is actually distributed outward across the rubber on impact so you feel a bit of a reduction in the forward kick.

Tom,
As for speed beyond the strings resting position (at brace height) the string has little effect becuse it is decelerating relitive to the bolt. If you use a strait line comparison between the performance of all excal models you see that speed is reletive to draw length - shoot at the longest draw length seting and you get the best performance. I thought the phoenix had a sweet spot about half way between the lines - but now shoot it right at the max with no ill effects. My speed has actually improved by about 6fps with this system because I could lower the brace height.

I'm actually surprised how long the limbsavers have held together - if you use the bolt through (split limb) style they could actually be turned regularly to distrubute the wear across the pad face.
Last edited by grandtrout on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think I'm going to try this out myself. :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

GaryL . . .my first string wore out in about 100 shots(maybe less), actually broke on me. My second one had one strand to break after 45-50 shots . . .after talking to Peter and someone else at Excalibur, they thought the string might be hitting the riser and wanted me to move the brace height back to the second line. I emailed Peter and asked if that was a "quick fix" that would hurt the performance and did not get an answer.

There is a lot of "give" in those Sims Limbsavers . . .I would think they would give the bolt a nice smooth release, instead of a shocking vibrating sling. Also, my "final" attachment will have the limbsavers exactly the same length from the center of the string.

Tye . . .you are correct!

Grandtrout . . .thanks!

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

sumner -thanks for posting the pics & your feedback on the system.

I hope everyone that trys it gets a good result too - my setup sure raised some eyebrows at the range last week when I ran into a guy shooting a ten point. Sounded like he dry fired it beside me now that i'm accustomed to the vastly quieter excal.

and yes to answer the original now deleated post - excalibers really are (were) that loud.
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Very creative!! Nice work.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thanks for the answer I have never had that problem, at lest not yet. Have yet to wear out a string other then serving separation. I am going to try that system as I like it!! Thanks.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!