slick tricks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

navaman

slick tricks

Post by navaman »

now that GaryL has gotten me past my computer/technological dilemma, i would like some opinions on the serious subject of broadheads. i really like the G-5 montec. it made a great kill on my buck BUT the first day in my tower i missed twice on good 8 pointer ( i think i told you all about it ). any way as i was looking at those broadheads last night i realized they're too wasted to try to save. if they had been a slick trick i could have just replaced my blades. slick tricks have taken some pretty impressive game (i went to their website last night) and i talked to daniel hendricks the other night who had just used them for the first time. he was nuts about them. so i'm just asking for opinions (again). got a hunt coming up on the 26th with my stepson would to know if i should try them or not. i worry sometimes that you guys are just going to run me off someday with all my dern questions :oops:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
TYE

Post by TYE »

:lol: Don't worry about questions. That's what we're here for. :)

I would say give them a shot :)

I'm using the WASP Hammer SST 125 grains right now, and I'm impressed with how well they fly..
A.W

Post by A.W »

Questions are always welcome on this forum. That's how we learn. Buy a pack of Slicks and try them. I think you're gonna like them. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
M&M

Post by M&M »

If it were me I would consider how much time I have available to try out and sight in with a new broadhead. If I didn't have much time available I would just buy some more of the montecs since your allready sighted in with them and they are a well proven broadhead, but if I had an abundance of spare time I might consider giving another broadhead a try. M&M
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I quit experimenting w/ b-heads once I tried the Slicks. So far, all I've shot w/ them is a 60 lb hog and a small 7 pt, the performance was awesome. They won't require any sight changes from your field points, imho, as long as you get all the wobble out of the setup.
"Eze 18:21"
navaman

Post by navaman »

awshucks wrote:I quit experimenting w/ b-heads once I tried the Slicks. So far, all I've shot w/ them is a 60 lb hog and a small 7 pt, the performance was awesome. They won't require any sight changes from your field points, imho, as long as you get all the wobble out of the setup.
what did you mean about the wobble? :?
A.W

Post by A.W »

navaman wrote:what did you mean about the wobble? :?
I think he's talking about the "washers" that come with BH's.

Sometimes you have to move the washer around a little to get the ballance. I've never had that problem with the Slicks.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

No problems with the Slick Tricks. I really like the way they have performed for me. I've just changed over to 2216's and haven't had a chanch to try them with those yet. If there's a problem with them on the 2216's I'll go back to the Wasp heads that came with my Exocet. There great heads for the price. Best of Luck!!!
navaman

Post by navaman »

i just want to thank all of you who responded with your opinions and experiences with the slick tricks. it's a cold day here today in west texas. we're even getting snow, so i think i'm just gonna hang out with mama today and slow cook a brisket in the new smoker she bought me. :wink: but i'll bet you money i can think of some more questions by tonight :lol: i hope you all have a great day !
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

If your Montec's are shooting OK then you will have no problem with the SlickTricks 100GR 1 1/8" cutting dia. The SlickTricks make a better exit wound then do the montec's G5's. Have two doe's this past week, one with a Montec G5 and one with the SlickTrick and a lot better exit wound with the SlickTrick and of course a better blood trail. Both complete pass throughs. Get the 1 1/8" cutting dia.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

The 7 deer I shot this year so far have been pass throughs and all have only gone 30-35 yards after the shot. If you try them you'll see what the deal is.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Each year for the past three years I have taken elk using Slick Trick 125's. Each was a complete pass through. The sight adjustment from field points to broadheads was minimal.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

You can't go wrong with either the Slick Trick or the Montec G5. I had great success with both broadheads. Each have their pros and cons. With the G5, you have to find the proper bolt to match and balance it. Once you do, you can remove it and put it back on without having to worry about it being balanced. I also, find the G5 easy to resharpen, and make them look just like new.

On the other hand since the Slicks are comprised of two blades, a ferrule and washer, this it both a pro and a con. To have them balance, one has to play around with the configuration, however by doing so, they can be made to spin true on any straight bolt. However if you remove them, you'll have to play around with them some more.

I feel that being able to replace the blades on the Slick isn't too much of an advantage, since the G5s can be sharpened over and over again. In the long run, even thought the G5 are a tad more expensive, unless you lose them, they probably end up being less expensive.

They are both great broadhead, I suppose you can flip a coin, to decide which to buy. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
navaman

Post by navaman »

the only reason i ever went to the montec was because of the simplicity of them. the way i feel right now i'm probaly gonna stay with them but i do have two packs of 100 grain slick tricks sitting in my shop. my step-son is just getting into crossbows and hunting. i'll probaly give them to him so he can just continue to practice with field points. i gave him my old barnett revolution and he's going on his first hunt with me after Christmas. i'm getting him hooked but a deer would definately bring him into the ranks. cross your fingers guys. :D
munch

Post by munch »

i shot a doe with a slick trick at 12 yards this year with my exomag the arrow passed threw and stuck in a dead log on the other side about 4 in" the thing i could not believe was when i skined her both the ent. hole and exit holes where all brused the way a gun shot would have made i even had to throw out some of the meat that was all clotted