Hows the bowbug GaryL

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rutman

Post by rutman »

Do you think that the transmitter would work in conjunction with an arrow arrester such as a zwickey scorpio for turkeys. Since they do not leave a blood trail when arrow shot. (If they go anywhere at all)
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
rutman

Post by rutman »

Sorry for the double post!
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

rutman wrote:Do you think that the transmitter would work in conjunction with an arrow arrester such as a zwickey scorpio for turkeys. Since they do not leave a blood trail when arrow shot. (If they go anywhere at all)
Problem would be rutman the transmitter slides up against the back of your broad head, If the zwickey would still work being behind the transmitter it should work. However keep in mind a flopping turkey would by no doubt dislodge the transmitter so there for I would think a not so good idea. I could be wrong, first time :shock: but I could be wrong :roll:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
rutman

Post by rutman »

Thanks, it might make for an expensive turkey. :(
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
GaryL

Re: Hows the bowbug GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Tar Heel wrote:GaryL have you got your bowbug and tried it yet.

Tar Heel
Tar Heel and others, The BOWBUG is very hard too set up :evil: Their add is very miss-leading and like most FISHING LURES out to catch the HUNTER.

The System in no way works as stated or shown on their web site.

Of COURSE COMMON SENSE to any some what experienced archer would pick up on it right a way, however as a hungry bass after a good meal I took the bait :oops: and must admit am very dispointed in its use as stated by the BOWBUG web site as a useful tracking tool shooting with-in their stated yardage. DO NOT BUY!!!! in less you have the urge too play with your set up a lot !!!!

REFUND was offered so I can return them for a full refund minus shipping :D

Heads up on this one .... stay a way from it :!: Biggest problem is the transmitter can in no way be balanced out on the arrow, therefor giving you a very bad flying arrow. Of course if you want to add 56 more grains on the other side of the hunting head and shoot a 550+ grain arrow it might, just might work :roll:
Last edited by GaryL on Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Well at least you did try. Thanks for the heads up and for your disappointing yet honest results.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Sorry it did not work GaryL, thanks for letting me know . Glad you got a refund.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Tar Heel wrote:Sorry it did not work GaryL, thanks for letting me know . Glad you got a refund.

Tar Heel
Tar Heel I also should have stated this is level shooting out to 30 yards, from a tree stand at 20 yards would be alright. The major problem is the transmitter is way to heavy to be practical for use on a arrow as it drops like a bolder. With the 50+gr transmitter on one side only no spin on the arrow either of course, and is like well shooting a spear :lol:

However I am not mad just a little disappointed as on a rainy day sure would have made one more confident on tracking/finding his/her animal. Reckon I myself will forget the rainy days for now .... :D Also would have been a good tool for those rare occasions of a bad placed killing shot that the blood trail stops on ya :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
rutman

Post by rutman »

Sorry, that I am so interested in this post. But I'm going to say, I wished I had it last night, for a minute. Then the gusher that Stevie Wonder could follow followed. Nothing like those WASP JAK HAMMERS for a good sidewalk to follow. Still drunk, nasty 8pt would have been 9 without busted tine. Rough green scored 135.5, biggest rack I ever shot, nice deer too. Be glad to chew on some 06 venison for a change. It's been a tough year till now. Sorry about messing with your post, but I want one.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

rutman I think from my testing that it would work great from a tree stand at 20-25 yards, at lest it did for me with the test transmitters they give you.

My problem is with a ground shot/level at 25 yards the arrow drops 10" :shock: was not off left to right only vertical so yep use the 40Yard marker and cross yer fingers.

Reasons - too much FOC, and no spin on arrow as all the extra weight (56gr.) is all on one side/top or bottom.

Bottom mount of transmitter worked best.

2213 with feathers, 85 grain BH, and alum. insert = 145-+ out front and was more in-line with what I wanted and will hit the kill zone at 30 yards. It is however like shooting a spear. Special occasion use only!!!!

Only returning one of the units and gonna keep playing with the other one as you never knows what one might be able to do with a little experimenting. If one can get the weight figured out to where you have a true spinning arrow then look out fur type critters :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
hawg hunter

b0ow bug

Post by hawg hunter »

Yep, a good dog is better!
Allan

Post by Allan »

It seems to me that this product would be useless on any pass-through shot, which is the case in many instances.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Allan wrote:It seems to me that this product would be useless on any pass-through shot, which is the case in many instances.
Allan read the info on the BowBug and you will see that a Transmitter is rubber banded or super glued lightly to your arrow at the broad head. As the arrow hit's the deer two needle like spears on each side of the transmitter stick in the deer and the arrow can pass on through as the transmitter comes lose from the arrow.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
bsmith

Bowbug worked great!

Post by bsmith »

(FYI) I was hunting a ranch in Texas last year where a guy made a bad shot on a good deer using the bowbug deal. He came back to camp and put the receiver thing together and tracked the deer. It was kinda wierd but he did find his deer and said that he has had good success with it along with some friends of his that use the system. Maybe some bad and good units out there. You know, there probably made in China like everything else.
The Headhunter
GaryL

Re: Bowbug worked great!

Post by GaryL »

bsmith wrote:(FYI) I was hunting a ranch in Texas last year where a guy made a bad shot on a good deer using the bowbug deal. He came back to camp and put the receiver thing together and tracked the deer. It was kinda wierd but he did find his deer and said that he has had good success with it along with some friends of his that use the system. Maybe some bad and good units out there. You know, there probably made in China like everything else.
bsmith they are made in china, the problem I am having is arrow balance as you get very little spin with the shot and they drop like a rock. The transmitter weighs in at 56GR., and that's a lot of extra weight on one side of your arrow. They can be sighted in to fly straight and I grouped a set of two twice in a paper plate at 30 yards but each arrow seems too fly quite a bit different. Placement of the transmitter seems to be the KEY!!!

I want to state that the units work as far as transmitters and receiver go however one MUST test his/her arrow flight and adjust to their findings. Also the transmitters are heavy at 56gr. and add a big chance of your arrow plane-ing in flight, my case up or down. Also take in the cost of $213.00 + Postage = $238.00 + any extra transmitters at $89.00 for a set of two (2) a little on the costly side. However might be a very good item too play with if you like a challenge as it has very much potential as a very good aid at finding your game in bad conditions .... :D Still be aware units do not not work as advertised and a lot of set up time will be required to assure or instill self confidence in using the system.

If you have $238.00 too spend and like the challenge of figuring out how to get your arrow to fly proper go for it!!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!