NAP Quick Spin...Update

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

NAP Quick Spin...Update

Post by PRB »

Anyone use them ?
If so then do you like the results ?
What length of vane do you have and degree of offset ?
Thanks
Last edited by PRB on Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Ive got some on order.
Thanks
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like you get to do the testing! :lol:
wabi
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thats ok. I will be the sucker :wink:
I wouldnt have been happy until I tried them anyway. I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried them and what they thought of them.
Will update when Im done.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have some on the way, from what I understand they will slow the arrow a bit due to the extra material, the physical shape, not the weight.
The claim is that is will spin an arrow up to 300% faster, and thus be more accurite.
The colours are far more brilliant than a Duravane too, if your into that kinda thing. I am.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I wonder if since they are supposed to spin 300% faster if that would help elimenate fixed blade broadheads from planing in flight? M&M
PRB

Post by PRB »

Pydpiper wrote:I have some on the way, from what I understand they will slow the arrow a bit due to the extra material, the physical shape, not the weight.
The claim is that is will spin an arrow up to 300% faster, and thus be more accurite.
The colours are far more brilliant than a Duravane too, if your into that kinda thing. I am.
Yes thats what they say. 300% more than vanes and 100% more than feathers. Going to be hard for us to calculate those percentages aint it :(
Im not sure but I figure it will only slow the arrow down out at longer ranges like 30 to 50 yards. Plus it depends on what degree of angle we attach them I guess.

M&M Posted:
I wonder if since they are supposed to spin 300% faster if that would help elimenate fixed blade broadheads from planing in flight? M&M
Yes they are suppose to. As long as its not too expensive I enjoy messing around with different broadheads and vanes.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Well here is the 1.5 inch Quick Spin sitting next to my 2 inch Blazer vanes
20 inch Gold Tip Laser II, 125 grain field tip head, aluminum front and rear inserts, total 363 grains, 13.2 FOC.
No problems so far and cant see any sign of where the edge of the vanes are rubbing the rail. Im going to stop testing until I get a scope again maybe this spring or summer. I can test more accurately with a scope and Im going to build a better rest to shoot from. The factory peep sight is great but a scope is much better. I didnt readjust my factory sights because they are a bugger to readjust and its already sighted in for my heavier brass inserted bolt Im currently using.
Any way there is no difference (or not noticeable) between the point of impact between the quick spin and blazers. The points of impact stayed the same for both up to forty yards with field tips. If the the quick spins was spinning too much then I believe they would slow down causing the bolt to drop its point of impact but that was not the case. That might be the case if I was to use the suggested larger quick spin vanes and then it might make a difference. The problem with these smaller 1.5's is that I thought they wouldnt control well enough. When I tried the Montec G5 125 grain head with the 1.5 quick spins the point of impact was the same.
The 1.5 Quick Spins only weigh 3 grains each...pretty light. I will have to try more accurate results after I get a scope. But I was impressed so far.
Big John

Nap spins

Post by Big John »

PRB:

I took the plunge and bought a pack of 36, 4" in. Yellow, quick spins.
I will be fletching up a bunch of bolts this week. Since normally I would use a 5 or 7 deg. off-set (straight) with 4"in. Vanes, I will switch back to 3 deg. off-set (straight) for these new Vanes. I currently have around six or seven dozen different bolt patterns, and fletchings of varying deg., and weights from carbon to aluminium to brass. At present the best Bolts I use are 20"in. Gold Tips with 6"in. Flourescent Wraps, Aluminium Rear inserts, Brass front inserts, 4"in. Plastic vanes at 7 deg. off-set (straight).
At forty yards free hand shooting, I can pull 3" to 4"in. groups, they are a very good bolt pattern combo. So I will gladly be the guinea Pig with you on this one. Keep me posted as well.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
PRB

Post by PRB »

That sounds great John. I would like to see how they compare to another bolt of the same configuration (inserts,weight,ect...) and point of impact at different yardages. Please update when you can.
Thanks
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I did up three bolts with 4" Quick Spins and compared them to 3 bolts with 4" Duravanes.
All six bolts were Gold Tip II, brass inserts.

There was no difference in POI from 20 to 50 yards, regardless of wind direction.

Mine were sent to me by a member to check them out, I absolutely love the way they look, but as far as performance, save your money.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks Pydpiper. Was any of your testing done with any broadheads ?
Thats what my final goal will be at a later date.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

M&M wrote:I wonder if since they are supposed to spin 300% faster if that would help elimenate fixed blade broadheads from planing in flight? M&M
I dont understand why you guys have so much problems with broadheads. nothing personel M&M just useing your statement.I use blazer vanes and shoot Montec G5s and never have a problem...useing quickspins will slow your arrow down some not sure how much but they do..and useing quick spins to fix a flight problem is kinda really working backwards..

if you have a straight shaft and balanced arrow you dont need fletching....OK now wait before you say WHAT? Its true if your FOC is right and your arrow is balanced correctly it will shoot straight without fletching...fletching is to help us with those 2 things if they are not perfect..

quickspins are really working backwards to what you want IMHO
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hoss wrote:.................
if you have a straight shaft and balanced arrow you dont need fletching....OK now wait before you say WHAT? Its true if your FOC is right and your arrow is balanced correctly it will shoot straight without fletching...
Hoss that might be true if the total situation is perfect. That would include the weather as well. I know that with the larger cutting Dia heads, in windy situations, your arrow can have a tendicy to wonder in flight. THis will not happen every time, but for me, even one time in 20 is too much.

In my opinion, you will never be able to achive that perfect situation in hunting. Therefore you need to find something to eliminate the plainning or wondering of the heads in flight. Either you find a different head, or change the fletching, but something should change to give you the consistancy that you require even if it means you slow up the arrow speed. I also believe that CONSISTANT ACCURACY is more important than speed of the arrow.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
PRB

Post by PRB »

Yes Hoss and Tom sounds great. Actually I believe I was (one of ?) the first to ask about the 2" Blazer vanes on this forum but I couldnt get any answers. So I tried them and been using them ever since.
Im personally not having any trouble with my Montec G5 and 2" blazers either. This test I was doing was more out of curiosity. The 1.5 inch Quick Spins as far as I can tell do not slow the bolt down at all yet still maintain and control the flight of the broadhead pretty good.
As a matter of fact every time I shot the 2" Blazers next to the 1.5" Quick Spins the Quick Spins had approximately 1/2" deeper penetration evry time.
Please dont read into this any more than Im just playing around with different vanes.
I remember reading quite some time ago ( and like you said) that a person could shoot without fletching...and I said WHAT !!! Well what you say is true to an extent when it comes to broadheads. So I got to thinking that it would not be necessary to have large vanes or feathers on the rear thus increasing FOC.
Actually my final goal will be to someday cut chop some feathers down to a much shorter and much lower profile than usual and this I believe will create the ultimate in both FOC and broadhead control ?????
Just having fun :wink: