Exocet 165 or 200?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bow Life

Exocet 165 or 200?

Post by Bow Life »

Im looking for an easy way to tell if my bow is an exocet 165 or a 200. If there are any obvious ways to tell please let me know, my bow does not have any markings on it to indicate this just says "exocet". Thanks.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
A.W

Post by A.W »

The riser for the new bow angles forward.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Digger

Post by Digger »

If your bow has a cast riser or 4 color camo or 15 inch draw it is probably 165 lb draw, a 15 1/2" draw is a 175 lb draw. If the riser is tne new forward facing riser bought new in the last coupe of years its probably a 200 lb draw.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

My bow has a 15 inch draw length meaning according to what Digger said that its an Exocet 165. Say i were to want an Exocet 200 i am not able to just change from a cast riser to a machined riser to get this right? Because the draw length is still 1/2 inch shorter. If i can would i have to change the scope (its a Dropzone which i believe was made only for the 165) the string and the riser as well? Thanks for the help.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The difference between the 165# and 175# Exocets beside the cast and machined CNC risers (which didn't affect either powerstroke or draw weight) is the mainframe/rail length. It's the extra 1/2" length of the rail which increased the draw weight by approx. 10 lbs.

Then with the introduction of the angled risers, which cause the limbs to angle forward, the draw weight increases by approx. 25 lbs. Since the limb tips are angled approx. 1" forward of perpendicular, it's similar to adding an additional inch to the powerstroke.

In order to upgrade from 165# to 200#, one would have to replace both the rail/mainframe and riser.

The easiest and least expensive way to upgrade from a 165# to a 200# Exocet, is to buy it new.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Thanks, thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure. I guess next year i will be looking for an exocet 200 :).
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

hawg hunter

exocet

Post by hawg hunter »

Have learned one thing about crossbows , the more poundage your pull the farther you have to chase your bolt after the kill.You also get to practice less because you get fatigued drawing your bow, you shoot less. The Exocet 165 is one damn good crossbow , it will kill any deer, moose or elk that you want to .shoot . it 's also usable in comp.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I've had the 175 lb. Exocet for three years now. I've taken three deer in the past three years with three shots. The total distance of travel for all the deer is maybe 20 yds tops. If I had listened to the guys in the know I would be shooting a vixon and just as happy It's really all the bow most of us really need for taking whitetails. It just comes down to how far do you want to bury your arrows into the dirt. Just stick with an Eocet and you'll be happy.
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

I shoot Exocet200 and my problem is I am taking these shoots where I am hitting bones/spines... I am crashing/braking my GoldTips II shafts... But deer do stay where they get shot... :lol:
I am sure you Exocet is planty for whitetails!
Darz Bór!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Over the years I've owned several Excaliburs. Like most folks I got caught up with wanting newer and "better" and upgrading.

I've owned one or more Excaliburs, in the following order:
  • Wolverine
    Exocet 165# - 15" rail
    Vixen 150# - 14" rail & Exomag 200# - 16.5 rail
    Exomag 200#, Phoenix - 14" rail & Exocet 175#
    Exomag, Exocet 175#, & Exomax
After trying the lot, I realized that newer isn't necessarily always better, so I sold some and only kept the ones that I feel are the best.

You might be surprised at which ones I kept:
  • Exocet 175#
    Exomag 200#
If I had to do it over again, I would of also kept the Exocet 165#. With it's 15" rail, I feel that, for me, it was the best balanced of the bunch.

Would I consider buying another Excalibur? Maybe, I might consider a Phoenix, but only if it came with a 15" rail.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Daniele

Exocet 165 or 200

Post by Daniele »

Tkstae said: It just comes down to how far do you want to bury your arrows into the dirt.
The same answer i got years ago from a man in the Know, very close to the manufacturing of the EXCALIBUR line.
I bought a Vixen then, the old black/grey camo pattern with carved limbs, it was followed by a 185 EXOMAG.
Neither has let me down, they both pack the power i'll ever need, i'd rather pass than shoot past 30 yds. i bulls-eye at that distance but my target never moves, on the other end i've seen deer do some spectacular tricks.
My two cents.
Daniele
Good hunting, be safe.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Well it really is not only about how far you bury your bolt in the ground. Actually in all honesty it is not at all about how far one buries a bolt in the ground. I don't think anyone really would care about that, I don't. LOL

All the xbows excal makes are fine for deer hunting, I do agree with that.

A faster bolt will drop less and have less wind effect over the same distance shot. Also the advantage of the forward swept riser is more speed with the same rail length.

Your choice of xbow really depends on how you hunt.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The 165 # model that I owned did not have the safety on the back side of the rail ( only the Vixen did at that time if I remember correctly ). The safety on the 165# model was on the right side of the rail .
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

My exocet, from what ive seen is a 165 but it has the saftey on the back. My dad used to have an older exocet 165 and the saftey was the same as the one you stated. I liked it better because it came on automatically when you cocked the bow.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

thanks for the imput guys, i was playing arround with my dads exomag yesterday and to be honest i dont like how much heavier it is. it might not be alot, but when it comes to shooting i found it hard to get used to the difference in weight. plus i disliked the varizone scope, i found the cheverons or whatever they are really close together compared to the dropzone, but i assume thats just because its a faster bow. however, for now the exocet 165 hasnt done me any wrong :D
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads