wt. of gold tip inserts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bait pile willie

wt. of gold tip inserts

Post by bait pile willie »

can someone tell me the wt. of gold tips front al. insert and rear al insert,they do not give this info on their web site.also what are the brass ones weight.I have been building my own arrows for the last 12 yrs, and didnt even now about foc until it bcame a topic on this forum, my arows always seem to fly alright.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If your arrows are flying good then I wouldn't change them.
I find the brass only helps when it comes to wind, it helps pull the arrow through without much interference.
I don't have a scale, but I do know that the brass are substantially heavier, they are actually even physically larger (longer).
BOB VANDRISH

Gold Tip Inserts

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Baitpile,based on some measurements that I have just done on all my bolts,both in aluminum and carbon,I can give you some data.
A Gold Tip 2 carbon bolt,with aluminum inserts front and back and five inch vanes weighs in at 260 grains.
I would estimate that just the carbon shaft would be approx 190 grains,and that seems to be in the ballpark for carbon,around 9-9.5 grains per inch.
All my spare aluminum inserts range from 17 to 20 grains,and I have found one brand at 27 grains.
Aluminum flat nocks are approx 20 grains,and plastic flat nocks are approx 12 grains.
Feathers will have the biggest impact on FOC,as they are 1/3rd the weight of vanes.
I have been using 100 gr heads,and will be experimenting with 125 and 145 to improve broadhead flight.
Testing the Gold tip with a 125 blunt against my heavier 2216 and 2219 aluminum bolts with 100 gr blunts showed that the impact was 4" higher at 45 yards,which is what would be expected.
Hope that helps,
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I am shooting 100 grain nitron's on a 245 grain gold tip 20" bolt, and they are extremely accurate. They have 5 inch plastic vanes.
PRB

Post by PRB »

The brass inserts are suppose to weigh 90 grains but the batch I have weigh 108 grains. I believe the aluminum are suppose to be 30 grains.
Myself I like the higher FOC...Good luck
Here is a link with some weight specifications that might help.
http://www.above-timberline.com/gold%20 ... onents.htm
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

PRB. thanks for the info.