Target idea: will this work?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Target idea: will this work?

Post by ninepointer »

Has anyone ever tried making a target by stuffing a cardboard box tightly full of plastic grocery bags? I've heard of using old feedsacks and that got me wondering about plastic grocery bags. Do you think this would work?

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
huntman

Post by huntman »

Years ago a friend came up with an idea to stuff coffee sacks with old thick drop cloths, plastic grocery bags and other nic nacs, for the same purpose. The only problem was the thing was too heavy and awkward to carry. Its just not worth it you can buy a block for so cheap that it would be woth your wild to buy it instead of making one.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

If you are in Ontario there is a coffie store in Toronto called "The Green Beanery", they sell used coffie bean berlap sacks for about $2.50. Stuff full of plastic bags, Targets for $2.50- can't complain.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

A farmer (or feed supply store) could provide an empty feed sack and used skid wrap works well as stuffing. (Wouldn't use this for broadheads of course!)

My wonderful husband bought me a "Block" as a birthday present last year - I love it! Now I wish I had a big garage or basement to set up an indoor range here at home.
navaman

Post by navaman »

rhinehart 18 in 1. the only way to go
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
frisky

Post by frisky »

I use a box layered ( to have no voids) full of shrink wrap that pallats are wraped with. I stand on it to pack it tight. The plastic is clingy like Saran Wrap. Works for me.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

navaman wrote:rhinehart 18 in 1. the only way to go
Do not shoot GT L'II's from a high fps xbow into this target!! Other carbons and aluminums will work fine.
"Eze 18:21"
diesel

Post by diesel »

I tried the old used bags. It stopped the bolts ok but it took a boy and a man to remove the arrows.
Take one of those bags and fill with old clothes and rags. The bolts remove with two fingers. :D
GrandpaEddie

Post by GrandpaEddie »

The best home made targets that I have seen and tried were used by some vert. woodbow shooters at Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn N.Y.
I was in shock when I saw first hand, how great these targets were at stopping arrows.
When it came to taking the arrows out, it was like butter, two fingers,not hands.
The shooters used large burlap bags filled with very,very,very,very light foam.
This foam was as light as air.
Now here is their secret;
The content is old foam filling that is used inside life savers and flotation devices,such as old life vest.
They go to piers/boat docks or any Coast Guard station to look for old throw-aways.
When they get them, they take the outer shell/cover off, then they place the foam inside a burlap bag.
The more foam, the better the target.
I saw this with my own eyes, I shot this target, I removed the arrows
with only two (2) fingers. :)
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I do like Vixchix and frisky, and use shrink wrap used for pallets of salt. I bought a bag with like about 8 bulls eye on it and stuff it with this stuff. Very light weight, 5-10 lbs. pull the arrows out with two fingers or even one. Not reccommended for broadheads.

Rarely do I shoot my broadheads in a target anyway. My Slick Tricks fly like field points, to costly to dull or ruin them.

Grey Owl
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Good tips/suggestions. Thanks!

Last year I made myself a target from sandwiched layers of Ten-test (some of you will know the type I'm referring to), but that project will be going in the garbage. The thing weighs a tonne and it takes 2 people to get the bolts out :roll:

Ninepointer
rutman

Post by rutman »

I get 50 or so fibre feed bags from the local feed store. I pick a really nice one and start feeding the others into it. about every 5 bags step into it and jump up and down like your in a sack race. Being careful not to let anyone see you! :oops: :oops: . When the bag is near full tie it as tightly as you can with some twine. These targets stop field points, target tips and even my GT laser 2's tipped with wasp expandibles held closed with dental floss. I wouldn't recommend shooting the expandibles too often though, and make sure they are gonna stay closed. You can remove the shafts with 2 fingers with the target tips or even field points. I have no intention of changing this program ever. :wink:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
xeon

Post by xeon »

I use a cardboard bow filled with old carpet underlay. Its about 2'x2'x2' with an open face for broadheads about 1'x1'. Works great too but dont leave it in the rain, the foam expands and bursts the box, but duct tape works fine to fix it.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Thanks Rutman. I went to a local feed store and found out they sold used feedbacks for 20 cents each. They happened to have a big bale of bags but they didn't feel like counting each bag. So I offered $5 and I ended up with 50 bags! I'll remember to do my jumping with the garage door closed :lol:

Question: Other than lean it against a tree of something, how do you make the target stand up?

Ninepointer
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

ninepointer wrote:...................

Question: Other than lean it against a tree of something, how do you make the target stand up?

Ninepointer

Get your mother in law to hold it up for you.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.