Ever used a decoy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Ever used a decoy?

Post by sumner4991 »

I need to check into the make and model of this decoy . . . .

I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

And that is exactly why I quit wearing my deer outfit at Halloween. :lol:
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Man, I think they should add an orfice to the decoy. The frustration of having nothing there would drive me crazy if I was that buck. Especially since he would not live long if it were in season. At least he would die with a smile on his face.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
TYE

Post by TYE »

Seen that a hundred times, and I still think OUCH :shock: everytime I see it.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Nice pics!! :D :D

If you want a good decoy, check out the Montana decoys - if you can afford it.

They are very realistic looking. :shock:

Jay
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Baabby! Baaaabbbyyy! Sha-ba-ba-dooba-baby ... baabby!
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

maybe he has a thing for doe with 1 ear and a bullseye on their chest :lol: :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

hey kendo kid . . .put in a orfice and you would have a line, lubricate it and you have hunters lining up too . . .gets lonely at deer camp . . . . :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I might have just broken a rule . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
xeon

Post by xeon »

crazyfarmer wrote:maybe he has a thing for doe with 1 ear and a bullseye on their chest :lol: :D
Thats funny :D

I have always had a thing for deer with crosshairs on thier chest... does that count :wink:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

xeon wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:maybe he has a thing for doe with 1 ear and a bullseye on their chest :lol: :D
Thats funny :D

I have always had a thing for deer with crosshairs on thier chest... does that count :wink:
I have that addiction also so it must be fairly common :lol: :D
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Bob ...

I've never used one. I wonder why your adult bucks avoided it? Were you using it during the rut, with a doe-in-heat scent?

I really think something about competition between mature bucks has a lot to do with how they react to decoys. I like to watch hunting videos, and on those highly managed areas where the doe-to-buck ratio is limited, big bucks often respond to decoys with rage ... they come in posturing, with ears laid back ... and even charge them lots of times.

Maybe when there are a lot of does around, bucks don't need to be so competitive. What do you think?

In any case, I think the above picture demonstrates that there isn't anything "smart" about a big buck ... it's all instinct, man! :D
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I Don't have a decoy but did set out my McKenzie 3-D target on a powerline right of way a couple of years ago and watched it get trashed by a small (150lb) black bear. :shock: :shock:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

I did not use decoys for most of my life. I have used them for a few years and now no longer use them.

Two facts:
The majority (as high as 85 %) of the young bucks (up to and including 1.5 years of age) are dispersed from their home territory. Most of this occurs at the 1.5 year mark pre rut and rut stages.

Big boys move outside their core area and travel many miles in search of hot does or hot does where their is less competition.

Results:
Those bucks staying on the home range know the does (neighbors).
Those bucks traveling due to the need for genetic dispersal as well as lower competiton (they need to get a little a_s also) don't know any does. These traveling bucks are the new kids on the block.
It is in this travelling buck category that I think gets the greatest success for using decoys works.

That my call from experience for what ever that is worth.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

The second deer I killed with a vertical bow was with the aid of a 3-D target. I set it up about 20 steps in front of my stand. I was up about 20 feet and could just see the feet of a couple deer crossing through the woods about 100 yards away. It was fairly quiet in the woods so I grunted a couple times on a grunt call. Immediately the two deer turned and started feeding my direction.

It was two doe. A small one and a huge one. Both deer walked directly across from my right to left straight toward the target. When the big doe got about 10 steps from it (in range) I think she figured out something wasn't right. She turned to walk out past the target presenting a quartering away shot. I buried a 31" Easton 2413 in her lengthwise. It entered just in front of the left hind leg and stopped behind the right front shoulder. She went about 200 yards leaving little blood (High entrace, no exit) and plowed up.

I haven't used the decoy since, but my one time out with it was memorable. I'm more concerned about other hunters in the area when your hunting with a target. I'm not a big fan of turkey hunting for the same reason. Nothing like getting good and camo'd up and going to the woods to act like a target. :) The once-a-year hunters scare me a bit to much to try it on public land. My one test was in a controlled environment.

DuckHunt