Turkey Season Halftime Report

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigTiny

Turkey Season Halftime Report

Post by BigTiny »

Well, turkey season is half over here in Louisiana. Thought I'd let you know how it's going.

Have been out four times this week without a turkey kill. Opening day was exciting, I got three gobblers to talk back, but they didn't get close enough to shoot; also killed a good size rattler. Couldn't convince my wife to try any. Also killed a moc and a copperhead Wednesday.

After opening day, the turkeys would not gobble for anything, so I didn't find any until yesterday. Yesterday I got one to gobble by doing coyote yips, I must have sounded good too, 'cause they all flew away.

Finished off last night by fighting off a barn owl who was after my decoys(they are inflatable and $7 each, so it almost got ugly). I'll go back at it again on Mon. or Tuesday.

Wish me luck, 'cause skill won't cut it.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Good luck bigtiny,you`re doing something that right now us northeners are just waiting to do impatiently . As for the snakes you can keep them . :P
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

hey big tiny i too have been out 4 times and only to have one bust me real good on opening day, but since then not one bird has gobbled or been seen, i do know that thier have been 2 taken on the club since the ga season started on the 24 of march. how is the weather thier we have had a cool off and alot of fog in the mornings. good luck to you the rest of the season i am out the door at 4am for the work week begins again.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

GA.crossbowhunt wrote:hey big tiny i too have been out 4 times and only to have one bust me real good on opening day, but since then not one bird has gobbled or been seen, i do know that thier have been 2 taken on the club since the ga season started on the 24 of march. how is the weather thier we have had a cool off and alot of fog in the mornings. good luck to you the rest of the season i am out the door at 4am for the work week begins again.
It has been a little bit warmer than normal(low 80's) here and has been pretty dry up until this week. Rained hard two times this week with a close call with a tornado. Rained again today, but not too bad. I stay out of the woods on weekends, turkey season is REALLY popular here.

By the way, snake is not bad to eat, as long as you don't overcook it. So far, it's the only meat the season has produced.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Still a few weeks to wait here in Ohio. I'll probably do some scouting soon, though. I've seen plenty of turkeys around the deer food plot/feeder area, but Ill either disable the feeder a couple weeks before season opens or not hunt near it. It's illegal to hunt them over bait here.
Not too many snakes to worry about here. The timber rattler is rare (on the endangered species list) and copperheads are about the only worry. They aren't that common, but there are a few around. The milk snake is usually what people see and report as a copperhead sighting.
Milk snake -
They look similar, and can have a really bad attitude at times. :lol:
wabi
frisky

Post by frisky »

Good Luck!! Sounds like the hunter could become the hunted (snakes)
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
MADMAX2

SNAKE

Post by MADMAX2 »

I here that snake tastes like chicken not turkey :wink:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

The way I look at it is if the rattler startles me he definitely is in danger .Didn`t use to have a fear of snakes till I saw a VERY BIG rattle snake down in Texas .Something similar to this one .
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Wabi, you can have all the timber rattlers you want from here to replenish your state's population. No one here will miss them! I had a snake like that as a pet when I was a kid, never knew what kind it was til today.

Rattlesnake tastes nothing like chicken, more like gator or iguana. :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

A scout troop encountered one a few years ago, and the scoutmaster killed it when he felt the boys were threatened. Reported it to the DNR and almost went to jail over it! The DNR takes their protection very seriously!
I figure the best method of dealing with one is to head the other way ASAP, but if it IS a threat the S-S-S method would be best. (shoot-shovel-silence) :wink:
wabi