Deer direction --after shot.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Bow Life wrote:Just a question, whats "dodge"? Thanks in advance.
Isn't that a BEAUTIFUL "Dodge" in your avatar??? :o :lol:
Skeeter

It's not the aptitude but the attitude that determines the altitude!
A.W

Post by A.W »

wabi wrote:BTW - I believe the "get out of Dodge" expression is linked to the old wild west days in the USA when Dodge City was a wild frontier town with no safe place to hide if you made someone mad. :wink:
Still the same in Glasgow, Scotland. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

That's easy.

They definitely go toward water, every single time.

Most every deer I've killed has gone down within 100 yards of water and pointed towards it ... swamps, rivers, creeks, ponds, v-ditches, feeder-ditches, canals, lagoons ...

:shock: :wink: :D

'Course, 'ol Grizz does live in a land of liquid ... can't say about those of you who live in dry, arid places ... like Dodge. :lol:
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I hunt in a swamp, so water is everywhere. Out of the three I have taken with a bow, two have doubled back on their trail and one kept heading the way it was going. I don't think they really think about it, but it makes sense to me that they will head back to where they just came from, thinking "it was safe back there". When I get busted by deer, they usually head back the same way they came in, then circle around to try to pinpoint what and where you are.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

I've gotten about twenty deer with my Exocet over the years. My experience has been that more often than not they run hard in whatever direction they happen to be facing at the time of the shot. Even if it's uphill or into an open field. Occasionally I'll have one double-back and go the way it came. A few times (when using Rocket "Hammerhead" mechanicals with a 2" cutting diameter) I've had them drop on the spot and bleed out in a few seconds right there. That's nice when it happens (no tracking)!
TYE

Post by TYE »

groundpounder wrote:I believe they really don't know what they are doing, just trying to get the hell out of Dodge so to speak
I'd say the same thing. :lol:
A.W

Post by A.W »

TYE wrote:
groundpounder wrote:I believe they really don't know what they are doing, just trying to get the hell out of Dodge so to speak
Yup. Just like TYE's ex-girlfriends. :wink: :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

[quote]Yup. Just like TYE's ex-girlfriends.

OUCH :!: :lol: :!:

Who would have thought one little phrase would have gone so far. :shock: . I'm not saying I'm an old timer but its funny how you can say phrases or talk about famous people or famous events in time that the newer generations had never heard of. I know I can be guilty of the same thing.

As far as staying on the original topic I believe we agree on the deers unpredictability.
Why ride when you can walk!
TYE

Post by TYE »

A.W wrote:
TYE wrote:
Yup. Just like TYE's ex-girlfriends. :wink: :lol:
Ouch. :shock:
frisky

Post by frisky »

Some that I have taken, seemed to circle or do a letter "J". Others seemed to go forward.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Seems like initially, the deer I have shot (that didn't drop in their tracks) have done about everything. Head up hill, down hill, to water , away from water . . .however, after the first few yards, they head to a "safe place".

One doe I gut shot with my rifle in fall '05, went deep in the thicket and laid down. She went over 300 yards, but didn't go to water. I think of the few "long" tracking jobs I have done and every one of them went deep into the thick stuff . . .whatever the local cover included. Which in a lot of cases, is where they bed down.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Water??? What water??? Most of my hunting is done when its -20 Celsius.

The reason they do go to water is........... Don't try this at home, but if you ever shot yourself in the guts, wait about half an hour, and wait to see what happens. Your guts would start burning something terrible. Deer go to water to cool off, because they feel their burning up.

When a deer is first shot, he's pre- programed before hand where he wants to go. Instantly when he's first hit, his reaction is to go to the direction he always intended. Kind of like a knee-jerk reaction. But I also definetly believe once he gathers his or her senses, they'll go to their escape routes with the thickest terrain to hide in, usually high up a hill for a vantage point.

Now that's your professional tip of the day.

Payments can be made to Paypal in my name. :) :)

Grey Owl
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Gray Owl . . .if it's -20, seems like the deer would just lay down on the ground and cool off. :D From what I've been told, a rip in the stomach will immediately lead to infection. We all know what happens then, we get hot all over and once our body temp. rises enough, we get extremely weak. The kind of weak that keeps you in bed. In the deer's case, it will stay in bed until it's dead.

A buddy of mine got a rip in his intestine and nearly died because he thought he had the flu.

I've had deer do about everything, immediately following the initial hit. In the long run, they get weak and lay down. Normally this is a spot of safety . . .however, if they don't make it to their safe spot, they just find the nearest cover and lay down.

I shot a doe last year with my .270 from a little over 300 yards away. Once hit, she took off running in the direction she was headed. After about 30 yards she tried to turn into a small thicket in an otherwise open field. She barely make it to the edge of the thicket and died. She was hit hard, not sure how she make it 10 feet, much less 30 yards. However, her last thought was to hide. She left the path she was traveling and headed for cover as her body was running out of energy.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have only killed one and she kept going the way she was heading but not for long.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Yes Skeeter it is a beautiful dodge, i can only dream. :lol:

As far as the direction after the shot the ones i have shot all headed in the direction they were going.

I understand that this topic is probably well expired but go to Youtube.com and search deer hunting or bow hunting or anything along those lines, and most of the deer shot head in the direction they were orginally heading.

Also get some great videos and shots on there.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.